The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

I Am Having A Few Issues With My Squat

Hello,

Recently I have been noticing some issues with me when I am squatting. First off my big issue at the moment is my back not being able to support the weight. For example when I try doing 385 lbs and after I get down to parallel and start to head back up my legs can move it up pretty easily but my back cannot and will usually bend forward resulting in pretty ugly form. How should I solve this problem? Should I focus on strengthening my abs and lower back more? What would be some good exercises for doing that?

Then my next issue which I am having some trouble with as well is my squat form. I know when you squat your weight should be on your heels and not your toes, but for some reason I cannot make it do that. I have heard before you attempt to squat you should raise your toes of the ground and this will result in your weight being forced back on your heels. Is this true? What else besides that can I use to fix that problem.

Anyway thanks for reading and sorry if my post is rather long. I would just like like to get a few of these issues taken care of.

Thanks
    ---------------------- Today I do what you wont, so tomorrow I do what you can't ----------------------

Bench: 240
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 470

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's probably weak hamstrings more than anything else. That's why you're staying on your toes. That's why your hips rise more than the bar does. Those are both classic signs of someone that squats with all quads. Find as many different ways as you can to train your hamstrings and hammer them twice a week.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Glute ham raise would be a good start

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    good mornings helped me a lot when i was having that problem. glute ham raises are also a good thing to do.
    as far as keeping the weight on your heels, my training partner had the same problem for a while before he broke his leg. after he got cleared to start lifting again i got the idea to put something under the balls of his feet to re-teach him how to squat and make the weight stay on his heels, and now he has better form than i do. try putting a 5-10 lb. plate under the balls of your feet and try that for a few weeks. i've heard of people doing the same thing but with a raise under their heels, so if one way don't work then try the other.
    hope that helps.
    Impossible is an option, not a fact.
    Any man can hold a girl by her hand, but it takes an ELITE to hold her by her feet.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright thanks for the help you guys. I actually started doing those last week when I realized my back wasn't quite up to par. Is there anything else you can suggest?

As far as putting something under the balls of my feet, I will have to give that a try. It certainly seemed like it helped your lifting partner out a lot. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Siked; 01-19-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    ---------------------- Today I do what you wont, so tomorrow I do what you can't ----------------------

make sure your elbows are under the bar. That will help with the lean quite a bit if they arent.

yep all signs point to a weak posterior chain..

everything everyone said makes sense..which is why you're leaning forward so much and bending over to make depth. Your back side isn't strong enough to carry the weight you're using.

all prescribed exercises in this thread thus far are solid..good mornings and glute hams are my favorite.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Ditto to what everyone else said... Good mornings have helped me quite a bit. I've used both light weight with really strict form for higher reps (8-12), and I've also done heavier sets of 3-5 reps. I'm sure GHR's would help as well, but I don't currently have access to one to give firsthand advice.

I agree with Travis. Also a good way to strengthen your posterior chain is to work them with Box Squats.
    Where do you place the barbell? The barbell must rest on your traps, with your shoulder blades very tight.
    The other thing you must consider is the hip drive.

Rgds

I'd add to make sure you're sitting back 1st with your hips (like sitting back to a chair). That makes it much easier to stay erect with the back. You may be breaking forward 1st with the knees. Like someone would start to drop forward to their knees. Even if just a little it will really screw up your squat.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'm guessing it's a form issue.... without video it's just guessing.... but it sounds like you're bending way forward in the bottom so when you go to drive back up your legs are driving your hips up but the weight is so far forward you're just putting all the weight in to your back....... nobody this side of Steve Goggins can get away with squatting like that......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    Wow everyone thanks a lot for all of the help and support. I certainly believe it is a mix of poor form as well as lack of strength and I will focus on both. Thanks for the help everyone, I will be doing Good Mornings and Glute Ham raises religiously now.

Niko_El_Piko: I do put the bar on my traps with my shoulder blades tight. Also I will look in to box squats.

Thanks everyone again.