The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Eating Disorders in Sport

Firstly, I'm not quite sure if this is the right section or not but since this section does say discuss anything nutritional and diet releated I guess it proparly is.

Just a little discussion and to get your views on Eating Disorders in sport, such as Bulimia and Anorexia. One of the major negative behaviours of exercise looked at is eating disorders. Eating disorders are very serious medical conditions that can lead to serious health problems that can become life-threatening.

Eating disorders are becoming more common and it is estimated that 1 in 10 female athletes have an eating disorder. In modern times there is a great deal of pressure put on individuals to succeed in sports from their own coaches, team and family. Sports such as gymnastics, figure-skating and ice skating which portray a specific body shape and weight also contribute additional pressures to the individuals as they may be judged on specific criteria in the sport. Athletes that were associated with these sports or to have an “athletic” image were often more prone to eating disorders than individuals in other sports.

Now, How do you think athletes get unhealthy negative behaviours such as eating disorders?

Regarding psychology, Do you think it's helped and made a useful contribution to the understanding of eating disorders?

Just trying to stir some debate and it's somthing I'm looking into right now.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If theyre missing meals or puking them up their performance will suffer significantly. Also im pretty sure if your a gymnist or figure skater your already really fit and changing your diet just a little will solve that. I honestly dont feel bad for 9/10 of anorexic/bulimic people...to me its just "I DONT WANNA EAT PROPERLY OR EXERCISE SO IM GONNA THROW MY FOOD UP"

Banned
    I think eating disorders can be terrible things and I feel for those that suffer them.

On the other hand, when I hear about all this "pressure" children now feel to look thin and be healthy, I think "then why in heck are there so many fat kids around?" Not enough pressure if you ask me.

As far as eating disorders in female athletics go; I'd say female bodybuilding is an eating disorder. Reducing your body fat to the point that you don't get periods? That's silly, why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I think eating disorders can be terrible things and I feel for those that suffer them.

On the other hand, when I hear about all this "pressure" children now feel to look thin and be healthy, I think "then why in heck are there so many fat kids around?" Not enough pressure if you ask me.

As far as eating disorders in female athletics go; I'd say female bodybuilding is an eating disorder. Reducing your body fat to the point that you don't get periods? That's silly, why would you do that?
    Those that truly suffer i feel for them...however most are just blowing smoke. Like you said alot of fat kids running around.

Neither disease is about "being lazy". Both diseases are very serious psychological disorders based on body images and depression. Astreocclu, I suggest reading this link before you post anything else about this topic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/eati...l&METHOD=print

To the OP, yes psychology has proven very useful in understanding AND helping people with these disorders.
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    My sister ended up being hospitalized because of an eating disorder.
    I've never seen her weigh more than 115 lbs and she's 5'6".

My girlfriend was bulimic for a good part of her high school years, my prom date junior year was bulimic, and a lot of my friends in college struggled with bulimia/anorexia.

It's not always necessarily about feeling the need to look a certain way and being too lazy to find a healthy way to do it. It's about control, and a slew of other issues.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Neither disease is about "being lazy". Both diseases are very serious psychological disorders based on body images and depression. Astreocclu, I suggest reading this link before you post anything else about this topic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/eati...l&METHOD=print

To the OP, yes psychology has proven very useful in understanding AND helping people with these disorders.
    Interesting link, thanks.

More towards your psychology point, what has been proven and by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    It's not always necessarily about feeling the need to look a certain way and being too lazy to find a healthy way to do it. It's about control, and a slew of other issues.
    Also interesting, someone else I know said this, can you explain more on the control? control of what themself?

Wannabebig Member
    It's a fact that nowadays children are, on average, much fatter than they were at any previous point in (recorded) history.

I know it's an oft-repeated point, drawing close to the status of being a cheesy cliche, but the fact is that an excess of sugary and fatty foods causes obesity by causing the expression of fat-storing genes. In adults, this mechanism is regulated by insulin resistance. A child, however, having a large degree of insulin sensitivity, does not regulate against the effects of a high-calorie diet and will put on fat fast, especially if the child has less physical activity than required. This is also partly why we are seeing more teenagers get diabetes, something that was unheard of just 30 years ago.

As for eating disorders, I think perhaps the excess of fat people contributes to the epidemic. More fat people means more fear of being fat in lean people. Also, there's positive reinforcement from others. Unfortunately, some people think of mortally thin people as 'attractive' when the reality is that they are terrifying. I don't think eating disorders are like something like schizophrenia, where the basis is neurophysiological. I think eating disorders are best classified as 'reward-pathway' behaviors, like drugs or sex addiction. Just my two cents.

Wannabebig Member
    In 1988, at a meet in Budapest, a US judge told Christy Henrich, one of the world's top gymnasts, that she was too fat and needed to lose weight if she hoped to make the Olympic squad. Christy resorted to anorexia and bulimia as a way to control her weight, and her eating disorders eventually took her life. At one point her weight had plummeted as low as 47 lbs. On July 26, 1994, at the age of 22, Christy Henrich died of multiple organ failure.

This itself shows its not just being lazy.