The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Beginner needs help.. please

ok im 25, 5'9 and weight 169, i have a small bit of bodyfat which is generally on my stomach, i want to lose this fat but also want to tone up on my chest, arms and shoulders. Do i just stick to cardio to lose the weight on my stomach or will lifting help me with the fat burning, Right now at this point ive just returned from a 6 month holiday in Austrailia and really need to get in shape. If anyone has any comments that they would like to share, please do so as i really need to get it done right.

I work in an office envoirment so dont really get much excercise during the day (9-5pm) and will be hitting the gym after work, any suggestions on how often i should be training and for how long or on anything at all to help me??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

mmm... discipline
    You need to learn stuff. Start eating whole healthy food 95% of the time. Eat lots of it. Start doing squats, bench press, shoulder press, rows, deadlifts, and other compound lifts. I suggest a simple whole body routine 2 or 3 times per week. Keep the workouts short and intense. Ease into it. Simpler is always better. I wouldn't worry about counting your calories.

Do this, and your body composition will start changing, and you'll start to understand exactly what you need to do. Don't waste your time on any complicated programs. Learn the basics.

Also, I suggest some sprinting here and there, maybe on your non-lifting days, instead of cardio.
    Last edited by Spartan936; 01-18-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Wannabebig New Member Steve Reeves's Avatar
    Hey Richie,

I would absolutely recommend that you include weight lifting in your program. The magic thing that happens when you weight train is that your muscles get bigger. When your muscles get bigger your body starts to burn fat while you're resting.

Also, Spartan has a great point. You should be doing sprints. You can do a google search for HIIT and it will give you all the info you need on why and how to do it.

Good Luck!
    Steve Reeves
    Last edited by Steve Reeves; 01-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Current Favorite Quote.... "Thoughts Become Actions... Actions Create Habits... Habits Build Character... And Character Is Destiny".

Banned
    Lift weights monday wensday and friday on tuesday run oh and lon lifting days run 1 mile beacuse that will help you lose some calories that your muscels did not et. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Richie09 View Post
    ok im 25, 5'9 and weight 169, i have a small bit of bodyfat which is generally on my stomach, i want to lose this fat but also want to tone up on my chest, arms and shoulders. Do i just stick to cardio to lose the weight on my stomach or will lifting help me with the fat burning, Right now at this point ive just returned from a 6 month holiday in Austrailia and really need to get in shape. If anyone has any comments that they would like to share, please do so as i really need to get it done right.

I work in an office envoirment so dont really get much excercise during the day (9-5pm) and will be hitting the gym after work, any suggestions on how often i should be training and for how long or on anything at all to help me??
    First off, this isn't really a diet question since it's about a training routine so you might get more/better info in the bodybuilding forum.

That said, resistance training is an important part of fat loss for a lot of reasons. The metabolic boost after a heavy lifting session sticks around far longer than the boost from a steady state cardio session.

However, your diet must be in check before you do ANYTHING or your results will be sub-optimal. Once you've done that, you can post up your diet for critique. In the meantime, read up on How To Do Cardio If You Must.

Also, and this is a pet peeve of many around here, you don't want to "tone up". That phrase doesn't mean what people think it does. Muscle tone and muscle definition are completely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    Lift weights monday wensday and friday on tuesday run oh and lon lifting days run 1 mile beacuse that will help you lose some calories that your muscels did not et. Good luck
    This will sound mean but so does everything else I say whether I want it to or not. You're 14. Worry about English class before dispensing advice on training, especially if that advice doesn't really do any good.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks for your advice lads, do you think i should be taking any supplements or nutrition shakes as well, or will i just hit the gym hard..

Assuming your diet is in check (since you didn't actually post that, we don't know for sure), the only supplements that are necessary are a multivitamin and fish oil. Protein supplements can be useful in the workout window but they're not absolutely necessary.

Don't get caught up in supplementation until you have the rest of your diet down.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.