The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I neglect tricep kickbacks.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i probably neglect legs the most...I mean I do have a legs day incorporated into my workout scheme but i often just skip that day if I don't have enough time or don't feel like doing it...also rarely do abs or cardio either
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

This is probably a ridiculous statement, but I typically make it a point to "neglect" a body part in every workout..... just never the same body part in a row. Last night, I balked after 1 set of chinups (instead of doing 3 sets, I just did one). "I'm not feeling it in this body part" is the 'catch phrase' of choice.

yeah, i neglect the **** out of my shoulders. i do this because in the past, every time i would so much as do a few sets of incline press one day a week for more than 3 weeks, my shoulders would be in agony and it would adversely affect my bench and dips significantly.

so i was like, **** this.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by sbirgel View Post
    i probably neglect legs the most...I mean I do have a legs day incorporated into my workout scheme but i often just skip that day if I don't have enough time or don't feel like doing it...also rarely do abs or cardio either
    i don't mean to come off as a jerk, but if you're benching more than you squat, you should probably make it a point to not neglect your leg days.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    i don't mean to come off as a jerk, but if you're benching more than you squat, you should probably make it a point to not neglect your leg days.
    very true my upper body is definitely a lot stronger than my lower body...I'm just super lazy haha... I'll eventually get into the habit of making it regular but I just hate doing them right now.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    ^ My advice is to become what you hate. Squat every workout! You'll eventually love it (in a twisted sort of way) and it will possibly become a strong point of yours! =D On a side note though that is a sweet bench, I can't wait to put up 225 one day hah.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-07-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

biceps and abs.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Biceps and calves.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Calves. Mine are already big!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

hip flexor concentric contractions- maybe if i was to take up running again...

My upper body. I start out with deadlifts and squats and lift heavy. By the time I get to my upper body (dumbbell bench press / bent over row) I'm not lifting as heavy with my arms as I could be, if I hadn't pushed so hard on my deadlift and squat. But to me the deadlift/squat works out so many muscles, especially the larger muscle groups in the legs, I prefer to focus on those.

I rarely do foreams That's because of time issues and sometimes I don't hit the calves. Most of the time I work 95% of my body. I love running too :P
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

I try not to neglect any part of my body but I don't do any direct calf work. They seem to be progressing just fine from power cleans, squats, and deads. Apparently I have been somehow neglecting my glutes as I'm finding out they are extremely inactive/not firing during most of my lifting. Sucks because I put 120lbs on my squat and dead in the last few months and am just now realizing that my glutes aren't doing their thing. Just started doing all sorts of glute activation and trying to change my walking/sitting posture to get them back up to par.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by zbollman View Post
    My shoulders do. I struggle to gain shoulder size, and have not been able to figure out anything that works. Everything else is growing fine, but my shoulders refuse to grow. I lost motivation because of it. I still train them, but it's not the same as working anything else. Big shoulders are what I see differentiate people, and it aggravates me that I cannot get them to grow. I have broad shoulders, but they are not very meaty.

Zach
    Push Presses took care of my shoulders
    Last edited by Coqui; 04-09-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: I spel gud