The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Have you read your own log?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have read my log from beginning to end

29 96.67%
  • No, I have not gone back and reread my log

1 3.33%

How many of you read your own log

I'm just curious to know how many of you go back and read your own log? If you don't, you should. Over the years I have seen things that I have done well and changed for no good reason. When I go back and read sometimes, it makes my go "Hmmm, now why did I do that?"

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've only been keeping a log for about 3 months now. It makes a huge difference in my ability to program and evaluate.

Maybe you changed some things up because you wanted more variety? That seems to be my reason when I switch things up a little.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Not really anything worth looking back on doing SS. I'm pretty sure I can remember all the important stuff . My log is only really useful for keeping track of weights so I don't forget them.

Definitely plan on keeping some long term logs (already picked some logbooks up). Hopefully they will be prove themselves to be worthwhile. Just got to remember to log my stuff better.

To answer your question no, I haven't. I will however make sure to once I get a history of training under my belt. Mark Rippetoe told me too!

Good thread.

yeah I go back every so often and look at my overall training cycles. I also use it to check PRs when I plan on doing a certain ME exercise but can't remember what my previous PR is to know what I need to hit.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

It's a lot easier for me to look over training weeks at a time when I have a hardcopy in front of me (small spiral notebooks). If it's an online log, scrolling and clicking is a pain.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have about 6-7 years worth of training logs that I go back and read regularly. If I hit a plateau or a certain program isn't working right, I'll go back and look at what I was doing when I was improving on a certain lift. This is how I got my DL sorted out over the last few months. I especially like to look at the logs when I was at my worst. When I was dealing with depression, when I broke my shoulder; I like to see how I dealt with adversity in those situations and it helps me to appreciate how far I have come.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I have logs going back about 5 years. I do occassionally go back and look at what I was doing when I was making good progress on a particular lift. Sometimes it reminds me of something I was doing back then that I had forgotten about.

Garage Lifter
    I track my bodyweight with everything else and used that info to figure out what actually worked for me. I also use to to see what programming I was using when I hit previous PRs.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

It is very encouraging for me to go back and read my log because I started it after an injury and it is nice to see progress. It is also nice to analyze what seems to be working and what doesn't. I also keep track of diet thoughts and measurements, and it is nice to be able to see a progression (or lack thereof) my reading my old notes.

EDIT: I also read other people's from beginning to end to see what I can learn from them, too.
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 02-05-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I have logs going back about 4 years. I look back at some of what I've done and go, "WTF?" What is worse is when I remember what I did 20 years ago. Its no wonder I didn't make much progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Good thread.

yeah I go back every so often and look at my overall training cycles. I also use it to check PRs when I plan on doing a certain ME exercise but can't remember what my previous PR is to know what I need to hit.
    This is me, as well. I've got everything kept in an Excel spreadsheet and use it to plan my next month's training and check PRs.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

funny you mention this.. Yesterday I was just reading my log from 2004..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I go back every once in awhile just to see the progress I've been making.

EVery time I read through my prep log I wanna cry.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

On this site I have only had one for a short time. But, I have a log on another site that I have had for about 5 years and I love to go see how much progress I have made. I like to go back and see what worked and what didn't.

My handwritten notebook is the one I pore over between sets, on the way to the gym etc. Even for lifts I performed a long time ago I can relive the experience like getting two plates on each side but my ass was off the bench just by looking at my notes.

I like to go back and look for things I forgot about. Especially after a meet whe its time to prepare for the next cycle
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS