Thread: Shin splints and squats/leg press etc...

Shin splints and squats/leg press etc...

I have developed a pretty bad shin splint in my left leg from running over the past few months. Recently I've been limiting myself to the exercise bike for cardio and haven't done any leg work with heave weight. I'm planning on starting to work my legs again (squats, leg press, etc...) next Wednesday as my leg has been feeling better.

Will going back to doing leg work (excluding running) make the shin splint start to hurt again, or will it have the opposite effect and make me less likely to have recurring pain in my leg? Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor. - Lamb Of God

stretch or youve actually fractured the bone and you should let that heal and make sure your equipment and form is good. but try stretching first.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Simply doing squats shouldn't hurt them again ... doing squats AND running probably will do. Never squat and run on the same day and make sure you stretch your calves before exercise.

I've suffered from shin splints for as long as i can remember and the only thing that helps a little is having a massage. I often massage them myself before and after doing any exercise.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

this fall i had stress reactions in both of my ankles (like shin splints except worse, feels similar though) from running. i was still doing squats and hang cleans/snatches at the time and that didn't bother me at all, just the running did, so i would say you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever...

also if you want to remedy your problem, i would suggest icing after every time the pain flares up (with a bucket of ice water, full immersion). not a 100% fix but it worked good enough for me so that i didn't have to stop running.

Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post
    Never squat and run on the same day
    Whats wrong with running and squatting on the same day?
    Work hard. Stay humble.

Garage Lifter
    I have pretty bad shin splints and squatting has never caused me any pain. The forces that are exerted on your shins are much greater while running than they are when squatting. One more reason to never run
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one rep under View Post
    Whats wrong with running and squatting on the same day?
    I find that when I do squats then play football my shins feel like they are on fire. I guess the squats are "tiring" the connective tissue a little, then all the running just kills them off. It does for me, so i guess its the same with anyone.

If you get shin splints once, then you will be prone to getting it again so don't overwork the connective tissue if you can help it. i've never got rid of my pain. I've tried resting for months, stretching, massage, ice, different running gear and nothing works.
    Last edited by leetuck; 02-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    I had really bad shin splints last year; so bad that I went to the orthopedic surgeon thinking I had stress fractures. Rest, wrapping my shins with ice and ace bandages and NSAIDS is what eventually let me recover. What caused me to have such bad shin splints? I've had them before (experienced shin splints in basic training) but this time they were caused due to me trying to increase my stride length in running to decrease my overall run time. I am back to running now and have learned my lesson. Don't try to make huge jumps and gains in my running regiment. Slow, steady and small increments in running is what prevents me from having shin splint problems.

Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post
    I guess the squats are "tiring" the connective tissue a little, then all the running just kills them off. It does for me, so i guess its the same with anyone.

If you get shin splints once, then you will be prone to getting it again
    Just because it happens to you does not mean it is the same with anyone.

Where did you get the information that once you get shin splints you are more prone to getting them again?

If you get shin splints once you are in no way more likely to get them again if you change some to all of the variables of your routine about running/ whatever is causing shin splints.

You mentioned a plethora of reasons as to what didn't work for you but the one that I failed to see, and which is probably the most significant is a change in running form.
    Work hard. Stay humble.