The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Conditioning Routine?

Hey guys, heres the deal, Im going into a Navy Officer program in a few months and need to get into better all around shape. I have always lifted weights and since finding the forum have gained a good amount of strength and size, but my conditioning and endurance has taken a back seat and right now I am pretty out of shape.

Im dedicating the next few months to training and am looking for some routines and programs to follow. I have read the GPP, Super Conditioning, Endurance Training and many other articles on the site, but am having trouble putting together a solid program. Im already planning on doing 2 days of HIIT cardio a week and 2-3 days of jogging or SS cardio a week. And I am looking for a weight lifting routine that is focus on muscle endurance and also adding in some kind of circut training program for conditioning. And I plan on splitting in up in seperate sessions each day.

Now I dont have access or a place to use the sled and tire and hammer type stuff. I go to a standard gym and I guess could get my hands on some kettlebells to use at home. If you guys could help me out and give me some ideas or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how about sticking to your normal routine and then just doing barbell complexes afterwards? or go to a crossfit WOD website and do that. the navy fitness requirements arent high at all. im sure you could get in shape for it within a month.
    PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE POINTS CURL PUSH 1.5-MILE SWIM
    CATEGORY LEVEL UPS UPS RUN 500-YD 450-M
    Outstanding High 100 105 87 8:30 6:30 6:20
    Outstanding Medium 95 103 86 9:00 7:00 6:50
    Outstanding Low 90 98 81 9:15 7:30 7:20
    Excellent High 85 94 77 9:45 8:00 7:50
    Excellent Medium 80 90 74 10:00 8:15 8:05
    Excellent Low 75 87 71 10:30 8:45 8:35
    Good High 70 78 64 10:45 9:30 9:20
    Good Medium 65 66 55 11:30 10:30 10:20
    Good Low 60 58 47 12:00 11:30 11:20
    Satisfactory High 55 54 45 12:45 12:00 11:50
    Satisfactory Medium 50 50 42 13:15 12:15 12:05
    Probationary 45 46 37 13:30 13:00 12:50

thats pertty hard to read. so here is a link:
    http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/malestandard.html
    Last edited by gmen5681; 07-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks for that link man, found some good stuff on there. And I took your barbell complex idea. Tried it out today and they kicked my ass. Ive never felt so weary after a workout in my life.

Do you think it would be too much if im running HCT-12 on M,W,F and then a complex on T,Th,Sa along with cardio 3-4 days a week?
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

in my opinion thats too much. if i were you i would do HCT-12 MWF and then after your workout do some barbell complex. then do SS cardio TTH and rest on sat sun. thats just my opinion. make sure you are getting a deload week in there with all that training too, other wise your body and CNS will be fried. just make sure you listen to your body. if it feels good go all out, if you feel like crap take it easy and just finish the workout.

what i have been doing myself is 5/3/1 4 days a week. and after dead and squat days i crush myself with sled work. doing sprints with 135-180 pounds. and then on my off days i go for walks with my dog with a 80 lbs sandbag on my shoulders. and i deload for a whole week once every month. durning my deload i dont go to the gym. only do light sled work and do some light cardio with a weighted pack.

depending on what MOS you are gonna be looking at i would say start incorporating some heavy pack work. get a nice hiking pack, or if you cant afford that just get a military seabag fill it up with sand and throw it over your shoulders and go for a nice paced walk for 3-5 miles. it will get your legs, feet and knees ready for long hikes with heavy loads.

you could check out military athlete for some work ideas and there is always crossfit. I guess the real question is how competitive do you want to be on a PT test, what rate you want etc. Being strong as hell is well and good chances are it does not mean you will enjoy incredible success during OCS or the PST.
    Work hard. Stay humble.