The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Oxygen deprived weightlifting. Produces more gains?

Hey guys just read this article on ergo-log, was wondering what some people in here thought about this.

Calves grow quicker when you restrict blood to them.

Oxygen shortage makes training more effective.

Its like sex, you have a girl strangle you as youre doing your sets. I guess you could have a workout partner but that would be uncomfortable.

kidding, anyways i hope someone knows something on this kinda interesting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's interesting stuff and the studies on Kaatsu training are very positive.

That said, there are some limitations to occlusion training, and that is, how do you occlude the muscles of the torso i.e. chest, back etc?

What the data does is reinforce that the conditions when blood flow is occluded are favourable to growth. By happy coincidence blood flow is occluded when you achieve a pump.

So Kaatsu training might not achieve much in the long run, but it does add to our knowledge of muscle growth.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 01-29-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Training daily at 5700 feet above sea level is enough o2 deprivation for me thanks.

Wouldn't training in decreased o2 gyms lead to things like passing out? maybe even forms of altitude sickness due to a lack of o2?
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

Quote Originally Posted by cant hit bombz View Post
    Training daily at 5700 feet above sea level is enough o2 deprivation for me thanks.

Wouldn't training in decreased o2 gyms lead to things like passing out? maybe even forms of altitude sickness due to a lack of o2?
    It's not training whilst asphyxiated!!!

It's training with a pressure cuff on the trained limb (the sort of thing they use when taking your blood pressure) not depriving the whole body of oxygen!

Grab your wrist tightly and open and close your free hand, see how that feels and you get an idea.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 01-29-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Sorry, this was the part i was commenting on.

"Yesterday we wrote about a study which showed that the anabolic hormone stimulus of strength training increases if athletes train in a room with less oxygen in the air. "
    Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

Quote Originally Posted by cant hit bombz View Post
    Sorry, this was the part i was commenting on.

"Yesterday we wrote about a study which showed that the anabolic hormone stimulus of strength training increases if athletes train in a room with less oxygen in the air. "
    Fair enough, my fault, I didn't read either article, that'll teach me.

Yeah they put oxygen suckers (ive never heard of those before this, wonder how much they cost) in the room to lower the level. Be kinda cool if it takes off and you start seeing those machines in more gyms... maybe in a seperate smaller gym area where you have to sign off on what youre doing... but all of that is costly and unless it becomes a huge thing you wont see that happening at too many neighborhood gyms.

Maybe we'll start seeing athlete neck bands... custom tailor your level of oxygen deprivation with a BIG disclaimer on the back. Then some high school athletes will take it too far... completely choking off their air while taking creatine depriving themselves of water and wearing 5 layers of sweat pants as they jog around the track in the sun in 90' weather then the news will be all over it.