The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bicep peak & Out Bicep workouts please?

Will you please name some of the top workouts to really building the peak of your bicep and outer bicep..because the inner part of my bicep is nice..but the peak & outer part need some more work ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What have you been doing thus far?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Concentration curls.
    Hammers.
    Reverse.
    Preacher.
    standing barbell curls.
    chin ups.
    cable bicep curl (close grip & wide grip.)
    Incline curls.

I think thats mostly it really

What kind of routine presents itself today?
    Hit the back button and go to the sticky page.
    Open your mind and listen to what others say,
    And heed the wisdom of the weightlifting sage.
    Sarvamangalam!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by workout4life View Post
    Concentration curls.
    Hammers.
    Reverse.
    Preacher.
    standing barbell curls.
    chin ups.
    cable bicep curl (close grip & wide grip.)
    Incline curls.

I think thats mostly it really
    I dont think you are working your biceps enough

Check out http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133445 The barbell drag is for focusing on the outer biceps and that helps build the peak as well.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Zen made me laugh.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Will you please name some of the top workouts to really building the peak of your bicep and outer bicep..because the inner part of my bicep is nice..but the peak & outer part need some more work ?
    ^what does that mean exactly?
    post a pic of your bicep , and point out what parts you think are lacking.

Try flexing the outer part of your bicep during your curl. Also, dont go heavy. Youre better off with the pink dumbells so you can really feel the burn. Do lots of reps everyday. That should help peak your biceps.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    What kind of routine presents itself today?
    Hit the back button and go to the sticky page.
    Open your mind and listen to what others say,
    And heed the wisdom of the weightlifting sage.
    Awsome advice and I couldn't have said it better myself

OP, do you think you have enough bicep exercises there? I think you do more work for your biceps than most of us do for our whole upper body combined.
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    And I respond to this, if you flex..the inner part of the bicep (closest to the body) is decent. and the outside near the tricep area is lacking and the peak has like fat or not enough definition on it, idk...

Wannabebig Member
    Also OFF ROAD, Every one I know says I'm lacking in the bicep area compared to over sized triceps and what not. So I'm trying to even it out and whatever.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    I believe Off Road is saying you are overworking your biceps. My biceps are pretty damn big and all I do is 1 set of hammer curls, and 1 set of bb curls once a week.
    Last edited by Bodyguard; 01-30-2010 at 05:28 AM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Banned
    I have sympathy for people who ask questions like this, but RugbyDad asks a really interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    I too, have no idea what exactly the problem is. Granted I'm not too into bodybuilding for aesthetics so I've never cared much what the muscles shape is, but if somebody were to post pictures of arms of equivalent sizes and point out the lagging areas I'd be very intrigued. Extra points if you find before and after pictures of people who have changed specific portions of the muscle without gaining overall size.

I'm willing to bet the differences will be minor and irrelevant.

For overall shape of the bicep, I would think your Mom and Dad would have more to do with it than the exercises you choose.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Working toward the next.
    How much do you row, bench, press, squat, and deadlift?
    Add 100 to 200lbs to each of those, do chins and maybe curls once a week, and then come back

You can target the different heads of the bicep. I've heard multiple times that close grip straight barbell curls works the inner head more and in effect will help your peak. Something like hammer curls hits the outer head more.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernumber View Post
    how much do you row, bench, press, squat, and deadlift?
    Add 100 to 200lbs to each of those, do chins and maybe curls once a week, and then come back
    +1000
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    You can target the different heads of the bicep. I've heard multiple times that close grip straight barbell curls works the inner head more and in effect will help your peak. Something like hammer curls hits the outer head more.
    In theory this should work because the muscle is made up of two heads, but how much difference does this really make? I know the policy on WBB is to generally kill these debates early but I am actually quite intrigued whether choosing one curl over another and sticking with it for lets say 6 months would make much visible difference. Has this ever occurred? Has anybody done an experiment and gotten two people to use a separate type of curl to measure the observable differences?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    In theory this should work because the muscle is made up of two heads, but how much difference does this really make? I know the policy on WBB is to generally kill these debates early but I am actually quite intrigued whether choosing one curl over another and sticking with it for lets say 6 months would make much visible difference. Has this ever occurred? Has anybody done an experiment and gotten two people to use a separate type of curl to measure the observable differences?
    If you look at the actual anatomy of the biceps I don't see how you can really target one head over the other. The two heads blend together and have a common attachment on the radius (bone in the forearm). It is this attachment that results in both elbow flexion and supination. The only difference between the two heads is that the long head terminates up into the shoulder joint capsule and glenoid labrum, while the other terminates at the coracoid process of the scapula. The muscle fiber orientation is also the same for both heads. Thus, any variation in the way you do curls (i.e. elbow flexion) isn't going to have a differential effect on the the two heads of the biceps because the action is due to the common insertion on the radius.
    If you're talking about the flexor compartment of the upper arm in general, then you might be able alter the proportions slightly by trying to emphasize the brachialis vs. the biceps or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    If you look at the actual anatomy of the biceps I don't see how you can really target one head over the other. The two heads blend together and have a common attachment on the radius (bone in the forearm). It is this attachment that results in both elbow flexion and supination. The only difference between the two heads is that the long head terminates up into the shoulder joint capsule and glenoid labrum, while the other terminates at the coracoid process of the scapula. The muscle fiber orientation is also the same for both heads. Thus, any variation in the way you do curls (i.e. elbow flexion) isn't going to have a differential effect on the the two heads of the biceps because the action is due to the common insertion on the radius.
    If you're talking about the flexor compartment of the upper arm in general, then you might be able alter the proportions slightly by trying to emphasize the brachialis vs. the biceps or vice versa.
    I can definitely feel/tell a different depending on which way I have my hands positioned/wrists angled. I'm not going to debate this stuff with you guys. I've been lifting long enough/experimenting to know it makes a difference based on the results I've gotten.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002