Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/30 IPA meet video

Awesome benching man! I was there but only saw your first attempt (had to take mom out for birthday dinner). Its amazing watching you guys bench. Congrats!
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Incredible. I cannot fathom what it feels like to manhandle 820lbs over your chest.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabebig Member
    I am very happy for you Vin, Congratulations!

Congrats Vin!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Congrats Vinny, you deserve this whith what you have been through! Awesome

Congrats on the PR!
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

No doubt in my mind I could of told you the results before the meet! Definately badd ass! Congrats!

Awesome job Vin!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

WOW 8 effin 20!!!
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Powerful bench Vin...! Congrates on your WR!!!

You earned every pound on that bar vince. Great job.
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

Thanks so much everyone. You are all so incredibly f'ing cool. All of your support has helped more than you'll ever know.

It's long, but this is the write up from my log:

Meet write up from 1/30/10 IPA New Jersey State Open

As many of you know, I lost my brother a little over a month ago. Originally I was planning on competing in the Lexen next weekend, but I just did not have that trip in me. There was a part of me that thought about not competing at all. Well, I got so many calls, texts, emails, and posts that I should continue to train. So I found a meet close to home and forged ahead. Thanks everyone.

So I started meet day with the handsome Karsten "DD" Luca and Matt "MFR" Rhodes showing up at my house for a quick drive to Jersey. My lovely wife Jessica served as our chauffeur and cooler carrier. As soon as I arrived, I went and weighed in. I ended up being 299. I was 288 last week and that was a little more than I wanted to cut to go 275 so I plumped up a little for the meet.

The flights were posted. There was to be one flight of squatters and two flights of benchers. There would be a 30-40 minute break after the squats and then the bench only flight would go. I started warming up when the squats began. When I bench on Friday nights, I take my time. From warmups to the last bench, the session can go close the 3 hours. So I make sure to plan accordingly at the meet. I rolled my pecs with a softball, and the rest of my body with a therapy stick. Then I swung an indian club to open up my shoulders, stretch out my pecs, and my wrists. After that I did 4 sets of 10 each of pushups, jumping jacks, and bodyweight squats. I had one last thing to do before I got on a bench to start moving weights. I took a permanent marker out and wrote my brother's initials on my forearms.

So I got on a bench and took the following warmups: the barx50, 135x10, 225x10, 315x3, 405x1, 495x1. I almost forgot to mention, I was sitting on one of my shirts and I had my wife sitting on the other throughout the squat flight. I think it helps to warm up the shirts. So now I popped on my bigger Ace bench shirt. I took 585x1 to a 2 board and 675x1 to a one baord.

Now to the lifting. I took 725 for a nice easy opener, three whites. I was happy because I was in the meet and took the IPA master world record with that lift, but that's not really what I was looking for. I put on my smaller Ace bench shirt and went for 810 next. The weight got away from me on the way down and started drifting off to one side. One of my training partners Brian, called for them to take it. So I headed back to my seat while the rest of the crew tended to our training partner Tee Tee (who by the way, ended up with an incredibly easy 855 for the day). I did not get down, I had missed a few lifts in training and always came back to get them no matter what it took. When I got ready to take the 810 again, I stopped thinking. I stopped thinking about finally getting a new pr, doing it for my brother, keeping my toes up, squeezing the bar, should I wet my shirt down, etc. When the time came, I wrapped my wrists and told Karsten just to take the slack out of my shirt and belt it. We had pulled the collar up, down, and all around for the past couple of months. I did not need any tricks, I just needed to do what I know how to do. I got under the bar, Rhodes gave me a perfect lift, and I smashed it. If there was 850+ on the bar that lift, it would have went. Everything just lined up. So after a quick celebration I asked for a 4th to take the IPA 308 open record. It was 815, so I figured 820 should do. Well, everything was going wrong with the lift, it began to drift on one side, I cocked my wrists back, it took forever to touch, but I persevered, got a press call, and drove it up for three whites. It felt awesome.

I have to thank a ton of people for this great day. My family, especially my wife, parents, and my sister-in-law, we have all pulled together during a really rough time in our lives. The unbelievable amount of people from the powerlifting community who have reached out to me. There are so many of you that I really can't name you all. However, I do have to mention our training crew: Brian, Drew, Josh, Karsten, Kristen (yes, we bench with a chick and I hope that's how she spells her name), Rhodes (your not an outsider even though you moved to the land of the bad accent) and Tee. You are all incredible. You are family to me. It's hard not to succeed when you have the support that we do. I look forward to helping you all hit some new pr's yourselves. I do feel a need to thank Travis Bell, Rob Luyando, and Dave Tate for saying the right things at the right time to keep me going. Thanks to my extended family here at WBB and over at team EFS. Last but not least, I really appreciate my sponsors AtLargeNutrition and EliteFTS. I have great supplements, great gear, and great support from two companies that really support powerlifting.

In parting I want to say what a great meet Gene and Ame Rychlak, John Bott, Mark Chaillet, and Carl Seeker ran. The judging was fair and consistent. The venue was great. The equipment was awesome. It was a very well run meet and I was proud to be a part of it. The IPA is really making a great presence all over the northeast now.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 01-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Good job vin! I know how tough it is to lose a family member. I lost my sister this month last year. And when everyone tells you to keep training they're right. Training has helped me cope through the pain so much as I'm sure it has you.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Awesome Job Vinny!
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Nice lifting vin! Cool to see you keeping with it and smashing weights!
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Great write up! Sometimes hard to put in words your feelings and thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Congrats on the big PR and new WR's Vin!! I am still trying to figure out if the 805 that you absolutely smashed was more impressive or the 820 that you had to stay with when it seemed like it was going out of groove, only to stay in there and drive it back up! Great effort!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Continued thanks everyone. It's not getting old at all

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Good job vin! I know how tough it is to lose a family member. I lost my sister this month last year. And when everyone tells you to keep training they're right. Training has helped me cope through the pain so much as I'm sure it has you.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. While going through this I see how many have lost someone close. You never truly know what it means until it happens to you.

Thanks to all those that have shared with me. Many have done so in calls, emails, and pm's which is very personal, but you know who you are and I am thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Congrats on the big PR and new WR's Vin!! I am still trying to figure out if the 805 that you absolutely smashed was more impressive or the 820 that you had to stay with when it seemed like it was going out of groove, only to stay in there and drive it back up! Great effort!
    Yeah, the 810 was almost anticlimactic, nah, not really. I have wanted a shirted up pr for a long time. The 820 was purely self preservation. Thanks.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Congrats!

Wannabebig Member
    Awesome write-up and great lifting. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by h.t.hall View Post
    Mt Dizenzo ,congratulations on a very strong bench !
    I 've been following your log in elitefts and have 2 questions for you:

-what shirt did you use
    -are the last 2-3 weeks before meets you do always like that? Almost exclusively with light training,walks and cardio ,or was there some type of injury involved ? At some point i thought you were no longer going to do the meet.
    Thanks. I was using the Metal Ace Pro Bench Shirt. I used a size 66 to open with, then a 62 for the subsequent attempts.

Yes, the last two weeks before a meet are mostly light work and conditioning. That last week is even lighter and the conditioning is pretty much just walking. I go for my heaviest lift 3 to 4 weeks out. At that point, all of the work should be done. You don't get stronger in the last month of training, you get stronger all the months before. That is whey I plan out my off season training. That last month is just to dial things in and try to keep the body as healthy as possible. During that time I successfully rehabbed a nagging shoulder problem.

Hope this helped.