The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifting on Squat day

Who here deadlifts on the same day that they squat on?

I've heard people say deadlift and squat on the same day and I've heard others say do them on different days.

I've always done them on different days. To me both on the same day would seem like a overkill, but I know some get great results doing both in the same day

What do you perfer and why? Other than they are working the same muscles.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just started doing this again to see how I recover. I was Squatting on Mon and DL on Friday. DL day was great but Squat day suffered. I think it really depends on the person and how they handle it. Doing them both on the same day can be benefecial if you want to increase one more than the other or you can alternate which one you do first each week. They do use a lot of the same muscles especially if you lift raw.

I do both on the same day.

First deadlift and some other lower back exercise - then shoulder workout - then squat, works good so far.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    There's no way I could do them on the same day my. I don't even do them both heavy the same weak anymore.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I do. I cant handle them seperate. Plus you pull after you squat in meets any way so you might as well be used to it.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 01-25-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    I ALSO SQT & dl SAME DAY, ONE WEEK DEADS ON FLOOR,NEXT WEEK IN RACK,LOW PIN

Wannabebig Member
    I don't have the time to separate the two, especially considering I squat on average 3 times per week, also it seems that if I don't deadlift regularly my grip goes bad.

If my grip were any good I would probably do less on account of heavier weights, which might coincide with some light recovery squats or front squats.

I like to squat and pull on the same day if I am going heavy (85% +). Otherwise I can handle squatting and pulling on seperate days in the same week.

I do them on the same day and use the other day for for assistance stuff. I recover good from it. no use and draining the cns more than once a week from lower body stuff.

I pull and squat on saturdays, then on wed. I have a speed day. Each week I alternate pulling and squatting. Seems to be working better then any other combination that I've done so far.
    Sam Sweigart
    Best meet lifts @ 220
    Squat-755lbs.
    Bench-465lbs.
    Deadlift-625lbs.
    Best Total-1825lbs.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2251520

Banned
    Sometimes I'll do heavy rack pulls after heavy squatting, but I rarely pull from the floor and squat the same day.

I usually squat and dead on both ME and DE days. I don't think it's that hard from a recovery perspective if the DE work is kept light enough that it's fast. Then on ME day I do the first movement for a 1RM and the second one for heavy sets of 3 or 5.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I do heavy squats on Monday. On Friday I do heavy DL and then later in the workout do 2-3 sets of 15 rep squats with lighter weight. It hasnt been a problem so far. I definitely don't think I could go heavy on squat and DL in the same workout though.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I do. I cant handle them seperate. Plus you pull after you squat in meets any way so you might as well be used to it.
    Yep... Keeps you honest. I generally pull Hvy. one week and speed work the next after sqauts.

I started this week pulling and squatting on the same day. I done my squat workout then I did Deficit DL's and hit a PR on them. I think I'm gonna deadlift 2 weeks on and one week off(to avoid burntout) on squat day and see how the results go. Thanks guys
    Last edited by muscle_g; 01-29-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

I noticed if I squat first then DL second I can do well. But, if I DL first then squat second it either goes ok or not good at all. I think I am going to give it one more try squatting on monday and dl on friday.

I think it really depends on the program too. If you are doing westide then you can do both on the same day with no problem because you are using the conjugate method. If you are doing both the actual lifts then I think squatting should be done first at least for me because I use a lot of back on DLs and if that is fatigued I am done for squats.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    It depends on how close to a meet I am....

I got started with the Frantz team... and those guys do all 3 every week with good results.

now I usually won't push heavy on both ( 4 week cycles staggered one week off of each other)

but close to a meet I start doing all 3 again just to build the conditioning..... and so I have a big crew of spotters for all three lifts.... and because my shoulders and wrists need 6 days of lighter work and rest before I beat them up again...
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwill727 View Post
    I noticed if I squat first then DL second I can do well. But, if I DL first then squat second it either goes ok or not good at all. I think I am going to give it one more try squatting on monday and dl on friday.

I think it really depends on the program too. If you are doing westide then you can do both on the same day with no problem because you are using the conjugate method. If you are doing both the actual lifts then I think squatting should be done first at least for me because I use a lot of back on DLs and if that is fatigued I am done for squats.
    Same thing, except on my deadlift day I only do some medium squats for a couple of sets. Ive always pulled more doing this method. I cant imagine doing a heavy squat workout and going right into heavy deads...my back would crumble.

I think you can squat and DL on sameday if you are new to weight lifting, like Starting Strength. But once you get past that stage it can be damn near impossible. I give myself at least 4 days between squats and DL. FYI I always go heavy, I never do high rep sets.

Why do people never refer to it as squatting on deadlift day!?
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method