Thread: Help me build a plyometric workout?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Help me build a plyometric workout?

Can you help me build a full-body plyometric workout? I do standard lifts (squats/deads/pullups/dips/presses) on Monday and Friday, and on Wednesday I would like to have a full-body plyometric day.

So far I am planning on: Burpees, Dumbbell Swings, Box Jumps, and Lateral One-armed Medicine Ball Pushups.

Do you think going through circuits of those 4 exercises would be sufficient for my whole body? Keep in mind I am new to this kind of training and definitely don't have the ability to do too much right now without probably passing out

Any input is appreciated.

-edit: I think I could use a good overhead pressing plyometric exercise for Wednesday as I don't have any overhead work on Monday/Friday. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-02-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

why are you implenting plyometrics into your routine? I also wouldnt recomend doing a ton of plyos on the same day. They are very taxing on the cns.

Personal benefit. I like the idea of training explosiveness to increase overall performance of one's self. And it also seems like something different and challenging, which will make me even more motivated.

What would you recommend then? To spread out the plyos throughout the week?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 02-02-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Buy: Jumping into Plyometrics by Donald Chu

http://www.amazon.com/Jumping-Into-P...5131387&sr=8-1
    Sarvamangalam!

To be honest I don't want to spend money on a book I know I won't even read. In fact I never read books I'm just looking for a few suggestions here.
    Lifting Journal

I would do one day of upper body plyos around your lower body workout and then a lower body plyo session around your upper body workout. I suggest only doing 2-3 movements per plyo session. The key is speed not quantity. Elitefts has a ton of good articles on plyos. Just do a search and skim some articles. Youll be amazed at what you can learn reading

Alright sounds good, thanks! I checked out the site, and I'm wondering if there are sections just for plyos or if I have to know the proper key terms/words to search for because there are a bunch of articles and I don't even know where to find what I'm looking for I'm guessing I should look around in the Training/Sports Training sections of the articles? Thanks again.
    Lifting Journal