The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: First Raw Meet

First Raw Meet

IPA 2010 New Jersey Powerlifting Championships - Jan 30, 2010

Video

Weigh Ins - Woke up and the scale read 273. Had a small breakfast and coffee and drove to the meet. Initial weigh in had me at 277. I came back about 20 minutes later and made weight at 274.

Squats

465 - Good Lift

500 - Good Lift

520 - Good Lift.

The 520 is also known as the ugliest squat ever. Not only did I have some sort of spasm that caused me to twist and come up faster on one side then the other, the bar rolled and tweaked my shoulder and elbow pretty good. Looking at the video I cant tell if I am off center in my initial setup. Either way I should have someone beind me making sure I am centered. It seems to me that as fast as my hips rise in the squat I should be able to squat a bunch more raw if I can get my head to move in concert with them.

Bench

325 - Good Lift

350 - Good Lift

370 - No Lift

The 325 felt very very easy. I was suprised at how dificult the 350 was. During warm ups my elbows were screaming at me from the last squat. Either way, I felt strong enough coming in to hit that 370. My right shoulder wasn't feeling 100% so the plan is to really hit the prehab work hard because the next option is getting the labrum fixed.

Deadlift

630 - Good Lift

680 - Good Lift

705 - Good Lift

Moved my deadlift opener up 5 lbs so that I would have an even 1500. In the end I figured after the way 680 moved, that a 730 pull and 1600 total was more of a long shot so I went to 705 to secure a raw 700+ pull and 1575 total.

I was hoping for 1600, but going 8 for 9 is a good meet. I need to fix those squat issues and really work on my strengthening my shoulder girdle. My bench, while it hasnt necessarily stagnated, is not moving the way I would like it to. Someone I know made a comment as I was leaving about the lack of excitment I had on my last deadlift. Well, if I was satisfied with that lift I might as well stop training. One mediocre lift does not a lifter make. Time to get back to work....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your squats are as much a form issue as strength. You come out of the monolift like you have nothing on your back, even your last attempt. Fix things up and you should be squatting in the 6's in no time. Very good strength and great total for your first meet.

Great work E!

Watching that i felt as though you were just coming into your strength potential... great work and even greater things look like they're on the horizon!
    Last edited by huskybear; 01-31-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Looks like you have some more pounds in you on the SQ and DL with some technique tweaks. I think you are so leaned over in the hole with the SQ, that it is going to be really tough for the hips not to shoot up first. Also based on your back strength, it may be that your hips shoot up early to throw more of the weight onto your back, with appears to be stronger than your legs. It also looks like you might be trying to sit back too much for a raw SQ. Try opening your knees first as you begin your descent then only sit back as far as you need to to make depth. This may keep you a bit more upright. You'll ultimately have to work out these issues in training and see what works.
    I also saw the bar swing out and away from you on all three DL's. It looks like you are simply using brute strength to pull the bar back in and complete the lift. You might consider trying to get your head and chest up a little more and starting pulling your head and shoulders back as soon as the bar leaves the floor. This usually helps me keep the bar in closer.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Great job Eric! Your pulls were nasty...just grab the bar and pick it up!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Looks like you have some more pounds in you on the SQ and DL with some technique tweaks. I think you are so leaned over in the hole with the SQ, that it is going to be really tough for the hips not to shoot up first. Also based on your back strength, it may be that your hips shoot up early to throw more of the weight onto your back, with appears to be stronger than your legs. It also looks like you might be trying to sit back too much for a raw SQ. Try opening your knees first as you begin your descent then only sit back as far as you need to to make depth. This may keep you a bit more upright. You'll ultimately have to work out these issues in training and see what works.
    I also saw the bar swing out and away from you on all three DL's. It looks like you are simply using brute strength to pull the bar back in and complete the lift. You might consider trying to get your head and chest up a little more and starting pulling your head and shoulders back as soon as the bar leaves the floor. This usually helps me keep the bar in closer.
    Are you saying I have skinny legs????

One thing I have noticed with my squat is that if I dont curl my toes up I end up good morning the weight down and leaving my hips high. So when I do get the weight back in my stance I will have a tendency to sit back pretty far for a raw squat. Honestly I think I am just still too much of a spaz to remember all the cues. I have been using Block Periodization, which is great, but I feel like I get my technique work in with light to moderate weight and it seems to get lost when I transition to near maximal attempts. So I may have to reconsider how I lay out my training going forward.

As for the pull, my plan is to try the toes up trick first to see if that will keep the bar away from drifting. That cue should help me stay in position to keep my head and chest up more at the start. The nice thing about pulling in a suit is that by the time the suit gives out I usually have the weight back in my groove.

Thanks for your input.

Big deadlift!!

Nice work overall, I can't watch the videos at work but the numbers are great!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I'm still tinkering with my raw SQ too. I'm doing my first raw meet next weekend, so I guess I'll see then if I really know what I am doing. I brought my stance in compared to my multi-ply stance, but I think I came in too far and ended up too bent over in the hole. I think I've made the necessary adjustment, but I won't know for sure until the meet. I think part of trick is find that one cue that ends up fixing most of the issues you have. It's too hard to remember 5 things at once while you're trying to SQ.
    The good news is that you seem to have plenty of strength. It's certainly easier/faster to fix a couple technical issues than it is to gain a ton of strength.

Nice lifting!
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

Way to stay with that last deadlift!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Nice lifting!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Way to stay with that last deadlift!
    Thanks! Do you mean the way it got forward at the beggining, or the fact that I am so slow locking it out? It was a long day and I was done at that point.

very nice...

Banned
    Lmfao thats a monster DL...how tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Lmfao thats a monster DL...how tall are you?
    6'4"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    6'4"
    Built for deadlifting