The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Things are always so prompt with you guys. Thanks!

fixed

We upgraded some stuff on the server and it managed to bring down large parts of WBB and ALN - not good!

Everything back to normal though now.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig New Member

gram calculation?

hey i had a question, how do you calculate the grams for each high/mod/low carb day?

I'm at around 165 right now and am putting together my weight training program (hoping to get to 185/190 at 15% body fat in 6 months) and wasn't entirely clear how I should calculate grams based off this model.

I have to say though this site is great - its incredibly informative and motivating. I'm revolving all of my workout plans around what I find on here, and spending too much money on At Large stuff...but I want to do it right and everything here sounds solid. Thanks!

Great article!

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Hey Matt. Sorry about the terribly slow response. My old laptop wasn't displaying forums correctly so I was not checking up on here as often as I should. Your question involves some math and use of the scientific method (adjust based on results, as you go).

There are two schools of thought among diet programmers: percentage or gram counts. Neither one is superior to the other; it is just personal preference. I usually go with percentages. I start with a calorie count; break it into percentages of protein, carbs and fat; and adjust from there. If the person begins with 18 calories per pound of bodyweight as the starting point and they gained weight when their goal was to lost it, we reduce things down (possibly to 16 calories per pound).

If you are following a Carb Rotation Diet like in this article, you would make further adjustments by changing the propertion of the carb intake (maybe from "two high/ three medium/ two low" to "one high/ three medium/ three low"). You get the idea.

You have the goal of gaining 20-25 pounds in six months (less now due to my slow response) and I am not sure how to direct you since I don't know if you are above 15% now and plan to lose weight or intending to gain the weight with some bodyfat increase (which is easier but less desireable). Unless you are new to training that is a huge increase in a short time period. And, if you are new to training, you don't really know how quickly you might respond to training.

Give me more info and I will reply pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMcD View Post
    hey i had a question, how do you calculate the grams for each high/mod/low carb day?

I'm at around 165 right now and am putting together my weight training program (hoping to get to 185/190 at 15% body fat in 6 months) and wasn't entirely clear how I should calculate grams based off this model.

I have to say though this site is great - its incredibly informative and motivating. I'm revolving all of my workout plans around what I find on here, and spending too much money on At Large stuff...but I want to do it right and everything here sounds solid. Thanks!

Wannabebig New Member
    HI and thanks for great article.

I am going to give carb rotation a try when my next cutting phase starts. I am currently 165lbs(~12-15% bodyfat) and looking to go down to 155lbs(9-10% bf). However I have couple of questions which I hope you could clarify to me.

I am just going to have a short cutting phase to stay in weight class and to have a little room for muscle mass development.

1. In the start of the cutting phase, how many kcals should I eat per pound of bodyweight? 14? 15? 16? ??

2. Can I divide the protein, carb and fat intake equally between the meals? So on moderate carb days my every meal would consist aprox 50% protein, 35% carb and 15% fat.
    Or am I supposed to be eating carbs only with proteins and fats only with proteins? Planning the nutrition would be a lot easier if I could build up meals from all macronutrients instead of using just two of the three at a time. Will it mess this program?

3. When my cutting phase is complete am I going to slowly raise the calories per pound of bodyweight value to get to muscle building? How slow? +1kcal/lbs/week?

4. How can I find my sweet spot where I am gaining weight slowly while putting on only muscle and staying lean.

Hope my questions were not too ambiguous.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by azo; 06-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azo View Post
    HI and thanks for great article.

I am going to give carb rotation a try when my next cutting phase starts. I am currently 165lbs(~12-15% bodyfat) and looking to go down to 155lbs(9-10% bf). However I have couple of questions which I hope you could clarify to me.

I am just going to have a short cutting phase to stay in weight class and to have a little room for muscle mass development.

1. In the start of the cutting phase, how many kcals should I eat per pound of bodyweight? 14? 15? 16? ??

2. Can I divide the protein, carb and fat intake equally between the meals? So on moderate carb days my every meal would consist aprox 50% protein, 35% carb and 15% fat.
    Or am I supposed to be eating carbs only with proteins and fats only with proteins? Planning the nutrition would be a lot easier if I could build up meals from all macronutrients instead of using just two of the three at a time. Will it mess this program?

3. When my cutting phase is complete am I going to slowly raise the calories per pound of bodyweight value to get to muscle building? How slow? +1kcal/lbs/week?

4. How can I find my sweet spot where I am gaining weight slowly while putting on only muscle and staying lean.

Hope my questions were not too ambiguous.
    Thanks in advance!
    Azo,

The changes you wish to make are not too dramatic and seem easily achievable. I'd love to give exact answers but, as you probably know, diet needs to be pretty individualized.

1) I would start at 16 and then see if that causes some fat loss. Many people restrict too much to stoart and have no way to adjust. You want to use the must minor restriction possible. This allows you to cut fat while keeping as much muscle as possible.

2) People tend to like to do the even split among meals, but in truth, the body is pretty clever and I think all you really need to do is keep track of the daily totals. Try to keep carbs near the strength training session (before and after) particularly on the low carb days and, if you train early, i think its best to cut carbs from the latter meals of the day, so that you have a nice low-carb, high GH overnight period for fat-burning.

3) Depends on how lean you wish to remain. I think you should go for a roughly 20% increase from a diet to a gaining phase, with some cardio to keep your metabolism revved. The beauty of the Carb Rotation Diet is that if you are smoothing out, you can adjust one or two of the days (as covered in more detail in the article).

4) Make the adjustments like mentioned above. You can get someone like Shelby Starnes to do your diet if you aren't good at doing this yourself.

Good luck! Let us know how you progress.