Thread: Weighted Dip Variations

Weighted Dip Variations

I have just gotten back to doing dips the last month or so and have thought of progressing to weighted dips. What are some weighted dip variations I could try? One I have thought of is :-

* rest/pause method get to 8 dips rest for a second and bang out 7 or 8 more?

Any thoughts welcome.

I'd just pick a set/rep sceme and stick with it, trying to add weight each week. When you stall then look for ways to add variation.

Yeah thanks tom183. I read of chain dips (using 10 or 20lb powerlifting chains) but it seems chains are for advanced trainees. I can't wait to get to doing heavy weighted dips, dips without any weight will feel like I'm floating in the air.

Wannabebig New Member
    Progression in weight is all you need. Just remember to finish your chest or tri's with dips not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by VINZE View Post
    Progression in weight is all you need. Just remember to finish your chest or tri's with dips not the other way around.
    Yeah thanks. I do dips after bench though I know some people do weighted dips instead of bench.

I vary weighted dips. Try it with your feet behind you, and in front. With your feet behind you, you do more work with your chest. With your legs 90 degrees in front, it works shoulders and abs. I do more weight with my feet behind me, but feet in front is a must in my routine for bigger shoulders, and it's a good ab killer.
    Last edited by EternalSearcher; 01-11-2010 at 01:28 PM.

i just strap on a belt and go to town. right now i'm going for a working set of 6 with as much weight as i can

one thing i will say is that i don't recommend powerlifting chains (the kind you throw over your shoulders). i feel like they restrict my movement and definitely an't do as much weight with them as i can with a regular belt

try this , do dips to failure, then hold your self up for as long as you can. great tricep burn!!
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

Iron Junkie
    Try doing dips for a specified number of reps to failure using a weight belt with however much additional weight can be handled with good form. Upon failure remove the belt and continue doing dips to failure with no weight (drop setting). This really works the chest, shoulders and triceps and is suggested for the end of a workout.
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home

Add weight and get 3 sets of 5 reps. The next time you do them, add more weight and get 3 sets of 5 reps. The next time you do them, add more weight and get 3 sets of 5 reps. The next time you do them, add more weight and get 3 sets of 5 reps...see the pattern?

After some thought should I be going to failure on weighted dips as I do them along with pin presses and the Tate press as an assistance/accessory to bench. I don't do my bench to failure, I always leave something in the tank.

What sets/reps did you decide on?

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    What sets/reps did you decide on?
    3 sets of up to 10 reps building up from 5 kg, 10 kg and so on.

I have been using weighted dips as an accessory and love them but when I tried CGBP on a board instead of weighted dips I will leave weighted dips for the moment. Weighted dips are fine and they do work more than the triceps but there is the risk of injury not just to the shoulders but to the intercostal muscles of the chest.

With CGBP on a board I could feel the different heads of the triceps being worked and this is what I need for the moment.

I do 3 sets of 8. Dont know how I got that, just started doing it. I increase the weight by 5 pounds when my body allows me to.

Also I am always confused on how far down I should go. Elbows line up with the shoulders? or further down? I feel like when I go to low it messes up my shoulders. It is real pain, not just me being a pussy.