The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help! My Workouts Aren't Balanced......

First Post.

I've been strength training for years, and have made a recent move to add more total body exercises, and leg exercises to my workouts (adding Cling & Press, Straight Leg Dead Lift, Hamstring Curls, Lunges, and Squats).

As an aside, back in the day I was a soccer player and raced bicycles. My legs were always my biggest muscle group, and I always lifted with the idea of getting my upper body to match my lower body. Aside from Calve Raises, never did any leg work. That said, over the last three years, I've I started losing a lot of that mass, and want to get it back. I've been so accustomed to having huge legs, that I cannot go without them.

After I started tweaking these workouts, my "A" workout has become pretty easy compared to my "B" workout.

Here is my A Workout (which is fine):
    Straight Leg Dead Lift (5 sets of 12)
    Clean & Press (3 sets of 12)
    Hamstring Curls (3 sets of 12)
    Seated Row/One Armed Row (as a superset) 3 sets of 12
    Biceps 6 sets of 12
    Triceps 6 sets of 12
    Misc. Core Exercises

My B Workout is where I run out of motivation.
    Reverse Lunge/ Forward Lunge (as a super set) 3 sets of 12
    Squats (3 sets of 12)
    Leg Extension (4 sets of 12)
    Flat bench 5 sets of 12 and Decline bench (3 sets of 50)
    Shoulders (Lateral Raises, Reverse Flys, Cubans, etc.) Combined as a "Quad Set" 4 sets of 12
    Dumbell Shrugs 65lb dumbells: 3 sets of 65
    Abs (lots)
    Calves (4 sets)

The point is that I find myself wanting to take a break midway through my B workout (before I begin the bench). Yesterday, I did the bench first, but I found that I didn't have the intensity in my squats and leg extensions. The B workout seems harder.

Sometimes I wonder if I should make a "C" workout that would consist of Lunges, Squats, Quad, Ham, SLDL, Clean & Press, and Calves. The only problem is that I workout 3 times every 6 days (every other day).... so if I added a C workout, I would only be hitting the same body parts once every 6 days instead of once every 4 days. Can I make the same gains by lifting one time every 6 days?

The other thought was to switch the an exercise in the B workout to the A workout, but which one?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Ipan
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-01-2010 at 08:15 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Look at this routine. Lots of people have made great gains on it. If you follow it and eat enough to support growth you will get the gains you are looking for.

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/r...ginal-routine/
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    What are you goals (Do you want to be your average semi-muscular guy or do you want to be MASSIVE)
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

I checked out the link that was posted (The Original Routine), but it doesn't seem like enough set work....

I normally do 10 - 12 reps per set, with more sets.

Do you think I'd get similar results for "The Original Routine" if I doubled the sets, and doubled the reps?

As to goals, I hope to add about 15 lbs of muscle this year.

I workout w/ 240 on the bench right now (5 sets of 12). I don't have any idea of my 1 time maxes in anything, due to the fact that I work out in my garage without a spotter.
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Sounds to me like the time has long since passed that you should be putting more weight on the bar. And yes, provided you're lifting heavy, the routine will give you enough set work.

-CLEAN and press
    -Biceps
    -Triceps

Welcome to wbb.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    you raced bicycles? as in road cycling?

you raced bicycles? as in road cycling?

Yes & Yes..... I tried to make a living out of it for about 2 years back in the early 90s.
    Last edited by Iplan; 02-02-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    First Post.

I've been strength training for years, and have made a recent move to add more total body exercises, and leg exercises to my workouts (adding Cling & Press, Straight Leg Dead Lift, Hamstring Curls, Lunges, and Squats).

As an aside, back in the day I was a soccer player and raced bicycles. My legs were always my biggest muscle group, and I always lifted with the idea of getting my upper body to match my lower body. Aside from Calve Raises, never did any leg work. That said, over the last three years, I've I started losing a lot of that mass, and want to get it back. I've been so accustomed to having huge legs, that I cannot go without them.

After I started tweaking these workouts, my "A" workout has become pretty easy compared to my "B" workout.

Here is my A Workout (which is fine):
    Straight Leg Dead Lift (5 sets of 12)
    Clean & Press (3 sets of 12)
    Hamstring Curls (3 sets of 12)
    Seated Row/One Armed Row (as a superset) 3 sets of 12
    Biceps 6 sets of 12
    Triceps 6 sets of 12
    Misc. Core Exercises

My B Workout is where I run out of motivation.
    Reverse Lunge/ Forward Lunge (as a super set) 3 sets of 12
    Squats (3 sets of 12)
    Leg Extension (4 sets of 12)
    Flat bench 5 sets of 12 and Decline bench (3 sets of 50)
    Shoulders (Lateral Raises, Reverse Flys, Cubans, etc.) Combined as a "Quad Set" 4 sets of 12
    Dumbell Shrugs 65lb dumbells: 3 sets of 65
    Abs (lots)
    Calves (4 sets)

The point is that I find myself wanting to take a break midway through my B workout (before I begin the bench). Yesterday, I did the bench first, but I found that I didn't have the intensity in my squats and leg extensions. The B workout seems harder.

Sometimes I wonder if I should make a "C" workout that would consist of Lunges, Squats, Quad, Ham, SLDL, Clean & Press, and Calves. The only problem is that I workout 3 times every 6 days (every other day).... so if I added a C workout, I would only be hitting the same body parts once every 6 days instead of once every 4 days. Can I make the same gains by lifting one time every 6 days?

The other thought was to switch the an exercise in the B workout to the A workout, but which one?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Ipan
    I would want to go hang myself if I did this much volume. No wonder you want to take a break. You have 210 reps of bench work and then 195 reps of shrugs after already doing 120 reps of leg work.

I would definitely consider making a "C" day.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    I would definitely consider making a "C" day.
    The only concern I have with adding a "C" day is that I occassionally skip a day or two due to work conflicts, etc. ~ and I don't want to have a situation where I'm 7 or 8 days in between workouts on the same body part.

In my opinion you are not going to get real far with the above plan, so if I were you, I wouldn't be too concerned about adding more time in between body parts. There is simply way too much volume of way too many different muscle sets every workout in what you are during currently. You are overtraining. There is a reason that most people do 3 days a week, it is optimal for the average guy to gain the best. If you are worried about having 7 days between muscle parts, then try a program like Starting Strength (you can do a search on it). It is a very simple plan that is hitting 3 major movements 3 times every week and you get a full body workout.

I feel that you might be guilty of a misconception that the more you lift, the stronger you get. This is not always the case. Look up journals of the moderators and see what their workouts are like. Check Off_Roads especially. He is a non-competing lifter who is strong and who has a good program. He might do max, 5 exercises a session. Sometimes, you can do so many exercises that you never make any gains because you are running your body ragged. Let's look at workout B. You have 573 reps of exercises listed, plus calves, plus abs. You are very easily doing 600 reps ever week in this program. WAY too much. You can check my journal (link below), because I have modeled after moderators journals. I have a lot to learn, but I am making good gains with what I am doing. You can see that it is nothing fancy, just getting in, moving some weight, and getting out.

EDIT: Check my more recent entries, as I was doing a lot of volume at low weight at the beginning of my journal because I was rehabbing a hamstring inury and couldn't do heavy weight.
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 02-02-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

I see way too much daily volume. Have you read the stickies on Starting Strength and Texas Method? You should really try and understand all of that. Your routine is probably going to take an overhaul, as a matter of fact, Id ditch it completely. Do a professionally built premade routine and you will be in good hands. Once you choose a routine do NOT change it at all. Stick to it for a while and see where it takes you.
    Sarvamangalam!