Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "You're doing it wrong"

Wannabebig Member

"You're doing it wrong"

EDIT: I just realized how much of a whine this is. Flame me all you want!

A few days ago at the gym I was doing some DB incline presses and this dude was looking at me strange, the way you know he's going to tell you something is wrong about your lift. Sure enough, when I finished he said, "that's not the way you do shoulder presses, man." Wtf? Shoulder presses?

You might be surprised (or not) but this kind of thing happens to me at least once every day. I wish I was exaggerating. Granted, sometimes people are right. But most of the time they aren't, or are just pointing out a 'mistake' that only happened on my last rep because of fatigue.

To give another example, just yesterday a guy saw me doing chest flies on a cable machine, and he exclaimed, "You've got more weight on one side than the other! That's completely wrong!"
    I pointed out that the machine has a simple pulley mechanism that's designed specifically to make the load even on both sides. A simple knowledge of elementary-school mechanics, it seems, is lacking in the general population.

Is it possibly because of the way I look, or walk, or talk, or whatever?

Sorry, I just had to get this rant out of my system.
    Last edited by alin; 02-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.

People at your gym need to mind their own business. What a bunch of losers.

Where do you train?

Investing in an I-pod might make sense; people seem to be less inclined to try to talk to you when you are wearing headphones.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Yeah... ipod. And in a few years when you're 230 lbs and JACKED nobody's gonna say jack *****.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I would go with the headphones and no eye contact with anyone.

I can be an ********* pretty easy. Prob something along the lines of stfu,would have been uttered pretty quickly.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Bike/Weight Lifting Junkie
    iPod FTW. For a good while I was just working out by myself with both earbuds in. Occasionally Id need a spot and so I'd take 1 side out long enough to ask somebody, do my set, and say thanks. Nobody ever talked to me and its kinda nice lol.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 195
    Bench 240x8
    Squat 285x8

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    But most of the time they aren't, or are just pointing out a 'mistake' that only happened on my last rep because of fatigue.
    i hate that. not necessarily with just weight lifting but with anything, when you do something repetitive and you screw up once and someone tells you about it as if you were doing it wrong the whole time.

this happens a lot with people who crave compliments about their knowledge in a subject. if no one goes up to them and tells them "they are so knowledgeable" then they go around correcting people, for no reason sometimes.

if someone does it again, make up a name for the exercise. say something like "no, these are venetian shoulder presses", then they'll stop comparing what you do to the way they do it
    Last edited by soclydeza; 02-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    I can be an ********* pretty easy. Prob something along the lines of stfu,would have been uttered pretty quickly.
    this is me, lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    i hate that. not necessarily with just weight lifting but with anything, when you do something repetitive and you screw up once and someone tells you about it as if you were doing it wrong the whole time.
    Uh, Peter.. did you get that memo on the TPS reports? We are putting covers on all the reports now. I'll make sure you get another memo.

lmao
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    I hate it when people smaller, less experienced, weaker, etc. than yourself try to tell you what you should be doing. Stfu would suffice nicely.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

You're totally posting on this forum wrong.

(joke)
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Wannabebig Member
    To save money, just buy ipod headphones. Same effect.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses guys, good to know some have been experiencing the same problems. I agree with the iPod thing.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99
    One really bad thing is that they target you at your time of weakness; right after a set when you're somewhat exhausted physically and mentally, when you aren't able to tell them off as well as you'd like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis
    Where do you train?
    At a big public gym. I guess that's the problem. It's the 'best' one in Karaj, Iran.
    It does have some benefits though. One benefit is the hordes of people who line up to use the smith machine for squats, while the squat rack stands alone in a corner, for me to use as much as I want. I could steal it and nobody would notice.
    Last edited by alin; 02-03-2010 at 11:32 PM.

One really bad thing is that they target you at your time of weakness; right after a set when you're somewhat exhausted physically and mentally, when you aren't able to tell them off as well as you'd like
    I'm the opposite. When I just got done exhausting myself, I have zero patience and spout off exactly what I'm thinking.

A perfect example is right after a good set of squats.

broski - "You're not supposed to go down that far."
    me- "I'm going to rip off your goddam head you chest shaving curl jockey!"
    broski- "Squats are bad for your knees."
    me- "Is that your girlfriend over there on the tread mill? I'm going to go punch her in the throat."

Errr...something like that.
    Last edited by kmagnuss; 02-04-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: because I was doing it wrong...now stfu!
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    People at your gym need to mind their own business. What a bunch of losers.
    I know dude, I mean what the hell?! I think I'd take someone's head off for sayin some **** like that in the middle of my workout
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

I could steal it and nobody would notice.
    Then do it, home gym! problem solved! But seriously, the Ipod thing helps, also not acknowledging people really shuts them down too. I had a guy tell me all about squat depth, etc one time during a leg day. Just got done doing a set, he comes up and starts jabbering, so I wait about 10 seconds to make brief eye contact with a "WTF?" face and then just sat down, leaned over and stared at the floor exhausted. People get real uncomfortable when you treat them like they don't exist. It's great.
    Last edited by Runty; 02-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

I find it really ballsy when I hear stuff like that. I have never been approached by someone saying I am doing something wrong (and I do alot of stuff wrong!). However, I usually have a look on my face, as one friend told me, that says "Go f#@k yourself!"
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

If you're getting told almost every workout that you're doing something, then chances are that you ARE doing some things wrong.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

When my blood is rushing to my muscles I don't have much running to my brain and in times like that in the past I would just look at a person without comment until it was uncomfortable then they would seem to leave me alone! If I did say something it was usually bad, unless it was contructive? But usually with the blood decrease to my brain I would just grunt at them and put my headphones in!!!

The I-pod might sound nuts but it would probably work!

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    I find it really ballsy when I hear stuff like that. I have never been approached by someone saying I am doing something wrong (and I do alot of stuff wrong!). However, I usually have a look on my face, as one friend told me, that says "Go f#@k yourself!"
    thats a great look, helps ward off the vendors in malls, people tryin to pitch a some kind of a sale, people harassing you at a gym, etc

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    My GF had some guy come up to her while she was doing romanian deadlifts:

"What are doing"
    "I'm doing deadlifts"
    "I think you're doing them wrong"
    "No, I'm not, these are romanian deadlifts and this is how they are supposed to be done"
    "Well you are supposed to arch your back forward and kind of shrug on the way up"

I'm thinking maybe he was hoping she would injure her back severly by taking his advice and he could take her to the doctor.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

This is a peeve of mine. Sorry but, when I'm at the gym I usually dont want to be bothered. I just want to do my thing and leave. I can take the occasional advice, and sometimes it's really appreciated. But there's this one dude who does nothing but criticise EVERYONE. It's so bad that I try to get to the gym early to avoid him. I've literally watched him do a set of bull***** weights (he's a decent sized guy), stop mid-set and critique someone's curls, go stand around a bit, notice someone else "working out wrong" and give him his earfull. He always tells me that I'm resting too much between my sets, to which I simply reply that everyone is different, or I just ignore him. I can't even begin on the countless times I've seen him interrupt others' workouts to interject his advice which, most of the time, isn't warranted. Pisses me off.

I hate the wannabee gym heroes. Like I said, I'm cool with someone offering advice. It's a problem, though, when I see you working the room before you get to me to offer it. You've wasted your time trying to seem like the know-it-all dishing all your experience to everyone in the weight room, completely wasting their time and screwing their workout, and I almost have to duck and hide before you get to me. If my face doesn't tell the story, leave me the ***** alone when I'm in my zone!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    If you're getting told almost every workout that you're doing something, then chances are that you ARE doing some things wrong.
    I knew someone would say that. Actually, no.
    The problem is that the advice headed my way is not constructive, it's stupid. Stuff like 'go squat in the smith machine! You'll hurt your back with a free barbell!'
    Constructive advice is one in a hundred.

I think this type of thing is normal and there is nothing you can really do. Use to happen to me quite often. The hugest fattest guy in the gym would talk to me and what to do and what supps to take. I use to be polite but now I make a scene. Do it is fun. Ask them how much they can squat, deadlift, etc. Ask loud. Put them on the spot.