The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    PLing to be an indirect means to a leaner physique (diet being a direct means)
    Energy expenditure in and of itself can be an indirect route to a leaner physique as well.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Yeah people like to pull out the genetically gifted lifters to prove a point, but with that being said one thing can be learned and possibly the biggest thing ive learned in my ten years in the iron game, If never seen Squatting and deadlifting not work for any one. Ive yet to see anyone who can squat and DL a considerable amount, or who just do them regularly not have some type of impressive physique.

So yeah you may not look like the genetic elite, but if you put in the time and work, anyone can build a respectable physique
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    I agree with this in general, especially the second paragraph, but your comment about strength training and leanness being a contradicting goal is suspect. There are weight classes in powerlifting and most competitors strive to stay in their competitive class. That usually means muscle to fat ratio is a paramount concern.
    That was a general statement as you have guys on bothe ends of the spectrum. I competed in powerlifting and saw guys with a good body and guys that just looked out of shape. Genetics do play a huge role in cosmetic appearance in any sport but sports like powerlifting and strongman there are more that are not lean than are.

My statement was basically saying that staying lean and muscular looking is not the focus of a powerlifter and staying in a weight class is just that it doesn't mean they have low bodyfat.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    As someone who works out, you obviously know it's anything but easy... So I'm assuming you mean, "It's easy to figure out" and for that statement I absolutely agree.
    That is exactly what I meant.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Energy expenditure in and of itself can be an indirect route to a leaner physique as well.
    PLing = Energy expenditure, no? Thats what I meant, at least.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I realise I am probably setting myself up to be slated by both the bodybuilders and the strength guys here but anyway...I have a question and I will put it as simply as I can.

i) I want a physique similar to this:

http://www.vincesteven.com/IMG/jpg_Greg_Plitt_120.jpg

ii) I want to get into powerlifting.

In your honest opinion, are these two goals incompatible?
    you can do it!!! but you will probably fail within 3 months and give up

PLing = Energy expenditure, no? Thats what I meant, at least.
    Of course Im agreeing with both sides. I dont see how PL'ing wouldnt help to retain LBM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Of course Im agreeing with both sides. I dont see how PL'ing wouldnt help to retain LBM.
    Haha... in this thread we seem to have been on the same page but speaking different languages, no?
    Sarvamangalam!

Haha... in this thread we seem to have been on the same page but speaking different languages, no?
    Lol yep, think so

Sounds like one of my conversations
    Last edited by Off Road; 02-04-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    You can definitely look good and PL. Most power lifters just eat like **** though. Pling+good diet=good physique.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Mike Ohearn is a great example of a powerlifter with a model's physique. It can certainly be done. Powerlifting will build muscle, and if one's diet is kept in check then a very lean physique is more than possible.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    There are quite a few factors and questions that would need to be answered.

What kind of timeline do you have for these goals and what kind of shape are you in right now?

Are you naturally more lean or someone who carries a bit more weight?

How competitive are you looking to be in powerlifting?

Are you willing to follow a strict diet and training program?

Would you like to achieve your goals without performance enhancing drugs?

The person from the picture has your average 'P90X' physique and is not something unattainable for almost anyone. To look like that and to be strong is a different story though and would depend on your overall timeline for training, genetics, supplements, lifestyle, etc.
    Timeline: Don't have one really. I train because I love it, I do not plan on stopping. It's just that looking good is also important to me, it is the reason I got into training initially.

I'm currently bang on 100kg, around 20% bf. Tbh I'd say if I cut down to sub 10% bf I wouldn't be far off looking like that pic I posted.

I'm not naturally lean, but not naturally fat either, about average.

I'm not looking to be an elite powerlifter, in fact I wouldn't even plan on competing for at least another year a half-2 years. I've only been training for a year, my lifts are respectable but not impressive. Perhaps they are somewhat impressive given the length of time I've been training, I don't know.

I am willing to follow a strict diet and training program, because this is what I've been doing for the last year! (since I started training)

And finally, yes I plan on staying natty.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Getting that physique though isn't going to be probable because of the way your muscles will develop if you're training like a true powerlifter.
    How do your muscles develop differently by training like a powerlifter rather than a bodybuilder though? I know training within higher rep ranges is more suited to hypertrophy, whereas lower rep ranges will make you stronger to the detriment of pure hypertrophy, but there is only one thing you can do with your muscles: make them bigger. You can't shape them (I'm sure everybody here knows this already I'm just trying to illustrate a point!) Surely training differently will not affect the shape of your muscles then? And I think most people would agree that TO A DEGREE strength = mass, and vice versa. If a guy gets his bench from 120kg to 140kg, suffice it to say his chest and arms will have grown, regardless of how he trained. Or am I way off the mark?

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    you can do it!!! but you will probably fail within 3 months and give up
    I've been training for about a year and put on 20kg so far and (somehow) maintained my bf%, my goal was purely hypertrophy, changing my training methods around will not change my dedication, but thanks for your condescending attitude!

I think what Travis means is that you won't develop the same proportions as the model in your picture if you are truely training for powerlifting. For example, a powerlifter will typically have a thicker waist (even if they are lean), be bigger through the upper back and traps, and have proportionately smaller biceps.

Wannabebig Member
    AH right, yeah that makes a lot of sense actually. Apologies Travis I misunderstood your post.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    I think what Travis means is that you won't develop the same proportions as the model in your picture if you are truely training for powerlifting. For example, a powerlifter will typically have a thicker waist (even if they are lean), be bigger through the upper back and traps, and have proportionately smaller biceps.
    How will a powerlifter have a thicker waist though? You mean thicker abs? From deadlifting and squatting so much? Surely that's a good thing from an aesthetic point of view??

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    How will a powerlifter have a thicker waist though? You mean thicker abs? From deadlifting and squatting so much? Surely that's a good thing from an aesthetic point of view??
    Purely speaking aesthetically, the goal is to have a "V" taper of your upper body, not a thick waist that you develop from deadlifting and other powerlifting movements.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

like travis said all genetics. i am 5' 10 230lbs. 33 inch waist and eat everything in sight. ssome good some bad (alot bad) very hard to gain weight. all my workout partners have jumped 2 weight classes i stay the same.

Dave Tate. Powerlifter.

Wow is that a recent pic of Dave Tate? I want to look like that when all is said and done!

Great discussion btw.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

I powerlift and compete in strongman and I try to stay fairly lean as well. So this is my advice.

1. Lift heavy and progress on the powerlifts. (5-3-1 or any other good progressive system)
    2. Do higher reps 6-15 on your other lifts.
    3. Do some kind of conditioning work, but keep it short and intense. (prowler, hill sprints, punching bag, etc)
    4. Eat clean. A lot of powerlifters eat like crap and that is why they are not lean. Guys like Matt Kroc eat clean and that helps keep lean.