Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting and looking good

Wannabebig Member

Powerlifting and looking good

I realise I am probably setting myself up to be slated by both the bodybuilders and the strength guys here but anyway...I have a question and I will put it as simply as I can.

i) I want a physique similar to this:

http://www.vincesteven.com/IMG/jpg_Greg_Plitt_120.jpg

ii) I want to get into powerlifting.

In your honest opinion, are these two goals incompatible?

That guy simply has low body fat he is not overly muscular. I think bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman and Johnny Jackson train like powerlifters, they just diet down before competitions. It is possible to do some kind of powerbuilding (bodybuilding and powerlifting hybrid).

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    They are very compatible, a good deal of lighter weight powerlifters are about 6 weeks of hardcore dieting away from the stage. Many time when people think of powerlfiters they think of the heavy weights, many of the lighter weight class guys can give some bodybuilders a run for their money

PL is more about CNS activation and technique to move the weight, while bodybuilding is more about muscle grow, so it is definitely possible to achieve such a physique and get strong
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

As far training if you want to be a powerlifter you have to train as such. Your goal is to move as much weight as possible in the 3 lifts so wanting to be really lean also is a contradicting goal. Not that you can't look decent as diet has alot to do with that as well.

Unless you are gentically gifted you are not going to look like the pic and be a powerlifter as well. Now if you are just looking to be stronger and not compete then thats a different story. Training doesn't have to be one or the other. Guys like Ronnie Coleman do the powerlifts for low reps, but trust me their volume and reps for the rest of the workout are far from low volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    As far training if you want to be a powerlifter you have to train as such. Your goal is to move as much weight as possible in the 3 lifts so wanting to be really lean also is a contradicting goal. Not that you can't look decent as diet has alot to do with that as well.

Unless you are gentically gifted you are not going to look like the pic and be a powerlifter as well. Now if you are just looking to be stronger and not compete then thats a different story. Training doesn't have to be one or the other. Guys like Ronnie Coleman do the powerlifts for low reps, but trust me their volume and reps for the rest of the workout are far from low volume.
    I agree with this in general, especially the second paragraph, but your comment about strength training and leanness being a contradicting goal is suspect. There are weight classes in powerlifting and most competitors strive to stay in their competitive class. That usually means muscle to fat ratio is a paramount concern.

This is Konstantin Konstantinovs the famous Pler. He is very strong and still in good shape.

Wannabebig Member
    Definately possible.

Google images for Olegsander Kutcher, Matt Kroc, Konstantinovs (recent), David Ricks (recent) there are loads of lean powerlifters in great shape.

Maybe 90% of them lift in the non-tested federations though.
    Last edited by Ben F Burgess; 02-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.

I remember seeing a recent vid of the guy (I'm ******ed with names) who made the "Maybe you just don't *****ing know how to bench!" video...and he went from a big ole fatty to being just ripped up...just by changing his diet and cardio a bit. Dang I wish I could remember his name...he's really popular around here.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    I realise I am probably setting myself up to be slated by both the bodybuilders and the strength guys here but anyway...I have a question and I will put it as simply as I can.

There are quite a few factors and questions that would need to be answered.

What kind of timeline do you have for these goals and what kind of shape are you in right now?

Are you naturally more lean or someone who carries a bit more weight?

How competitive are you looking to be in powerlifting?

Are you willing to follow a strict diet and training program?

Would you like to achieve your goals without performance enhancing drugs?

The person from the picture has your average 'P90X' physique and is not something unattainable for almost anyone. To look like that and to be strong is a different story though and would depend on your overall timeline for training, genetics, supplements, lifestyle, etc.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

You can certainly be reasonably lean and be a powerlifter. Taken to extremes, these two aren't compatible though. Some it will depend on genetics though. Some guys seem to be able to stay really lean and still gain muscle (which is usually necessary in powerlifting to increase strength), while others put on fat more easily as they gain.
    Can you be photoshoot ready or near-stage ready in BB standards and be a powerlifter? Not likely. Can you stay reasonably lean and be a powerlifter? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I remember seeing a recent vid of the guy (I'm ******ed with names) who made the "Maybe you just don't *****ing know how to bench!" video...and he went from a big ole fatty to being just ripped up...just by changing his diet and cardio a bit. Dang I wish I could remember his name...he's really popular around here.
    Dave Tate.

Look at Dave Gulledge as well, went from around 320 to a ripped 275

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Dave Tate.

Yes! Thank you.

me--->
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Dave Tate. Powerlifter.

Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Dave Tate. Powerlifter.

To be fair, Dave was quite a bit bigger when he was powerlifting. And by bigger, I mean fatter

23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member

Kutcher, Kroc, Ricks.

All world champs. Granted they dont look have that 'homo-chic' look of the guy in the original post but you have say they are in pretty good nick
    Last edited by Ben F Burgess; 02-04-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Didn't read the whole thread.

It is possible and damn easy. Train for strength, eat for looks.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread.

It is possible and damn easy. Train for strength, eat for looks.
    As someone who works out, you obviously know it's anything but easy... So I'm assuming you mean, "It's easy to figure out" and for that statement I absolutely agree.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I love these threads...Everybody pulls out pictures of these genetic monsters to prove their points
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post

If you want a physique like that, you're really not going to achieve that with powerlifting.

Its really not hard to be lean and be a powerlifter, however everyone's body will respond differently depending on genetics.

Some people will be stronger at a higher BF, while others will be able to consistently make progress at a lower BF. Genetics is the key.

Getting that physique though isn't going to be probable because of the way your muscles will develop if you're training like a true powerlifter.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    To be fair, Dave was quite a bit bigger when he was powerlifting. And by bigger, I mean fatter

I thought he was still PLing when he was dieting down?
    Sarvamangalam!

Genetics can be said for bodybuilding routines as well. People could pull up a thousand pictures of bodybuilders to prove their points as well. But it doesnt mean anyone is going to look like them. That being said, you could also pull up pictures of less than avg bodybuilders or PL'ers. And it still doesnt mean you will look like them. You could look better.

Point is, a picture comparison does nothing to prove PL'ing or BB'ing.

I think the best thing to do would be a hybrid routine. I really like the 5/3/1.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I thought he was still PLing when he was dieting down?
    Nope, he's been out of the powerlifting game since 2006 or so due to a nasty shoulder problem, I believe. I think he had to drop the weight to take some strain off of it. Since then he's cleaned up his diet and burned off the fat.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 02-04-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Genetics can be said for bodybuilding routines as well. People could pull up a thousand pictures of bodybuilders to prove their points as well. But it doesnt mean anyone is going to look like them. That being said, you could also pull up pictures of less than avg bodybuilders or PL'ers. And it still doesnt mean you will look like them. You could look better.

Point is, a picture comparison does nothing to prove PL'ing or BB'ing.

I think the best thing to do would be a hybrid routine. I really like the 5/3/1.

No one said it "proved" anything. All we have to do is show one example of a PL lifter being lean to show that it is possible for PLing to be an indirect means to a leaner physique (diet being a direct means)
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-04-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

No one said it "proved" anything. All we have to do is show one example of a PL lifter being lean to show that it is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I love these threads...Everybody pulls out pictures of these genetic monsters to prove their points

I was referring to this quote. The idea being you really cant prove anything with pics like Offroad is saying. You can only argue possibilities.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial