Thread: P90x

P90x

If my goal is to be in similar shape to Brad Pitt in Fight Club, lean and with some muscle but not bulky should I do SS or P90x. (I'm skinny to begin with)

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    If my goal is to be in similar shape to Brad Pitt in Fight Club, lean and with some muscle but not bulky should I do SS or P90x. (I'm skinny to begin with)
    too funny. We went from, "how do I talk my dad out of p90X", to "Should I be doing p90X."

The power of the internet...

I wonder if everybody said, "Doing sissy squats and eating grapes was the key to looking toned", if we'd have a whole bunch of guys doing it
    Last edited by Off Road; 02-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I see so many people doing P90X for the big new years resolution. My cousin talked it up like God wrote the program. It was more like P10X for him LOL.

Oh, and for your answer.... Give P90X to your gf and start lifting heavy iron and doing complexes.

To be terribly honest, as goofy of a program as I think that P90X is, it does get people in shape if they follow it to the letter. It's basically 1 1/2hrs of conditioning mixed with some stretching, bw movements and yoga. Most people don't have the attention span to stick with it that long or they get bored.

If you don't like lifting weights, don't have really any desire to increase strength, then you might as well give P90X a shot.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Doing sissy squats and eating grapes is the key to looking toned. I read this somewhere in teh interwebs.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Its an excellent program for overall fitness, but you wont get much in the way of bulk doing it.

Great for cardio, fat loss, and flexability.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Give P90X to your gf and start lifting heavy iron and doing complexes.
    lol that made me almost choke on the water i was drinking

You're already skinny, so why would you do P90x? If you want to look like Brad Pitt and your BF% is already low, you have to increase muscle mass which will require you to lift a lot of heavy weight and consume a caloric surplus, not run around your room, do an hour of abs and finish off with some yoga.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Any existing muscle tone now?

A possible plan of action -
    Do SS and bulk to add some serious muscle - say 4-6 months.

Do P90X. This will help you lean out and hopefully not lose too much of the hard-earned muscle you just put on.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Being 'lean' or 'bulky' is moreso a product of your diet and not your training. With regard to muscle building, diet and training are equally as important.

A program like P90X will not build a lot of muscle, but it will speed up your metabolism and help you to burn calories. This is usually a great solution for an overweight individual, but not necessarily a thin individual who is looking to increase muscle mass.

What would you benefit most from right now?
    A. Decreased bodyfat / weight loss.
    B. Increase in muscle mass.

If your answer was A, then do P90X. If your answer was B, then you probably want to look at other options. One thing that I will say though is that if you wanted to only workout at home and have limited equipment then the P90X is still a great option regardless of goals (based on those circumstances).

Hope this helps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    start lifting heavy iron and doing complexes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

If your answer was A, then do P90X. If your answer was B, then you probably want to look at other options.
    Tom makes a great point and in your original post you wrote "I'm skinny to begin with". So there you actually answered the question put forth by Tom.

Then ELmx479 gave to you the solution: Lift heavy weights combined with Complexes. With a little imagination, lifting heavy and doing complexes, you will reap the benefits of both "Lifting" and "P90x".

As a side note: you will also save a lot of money over buying P90x.

Eating grapes got me HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Being 'lean' or 'bulky' is moreso a product of your diet and not your training. With regard to muscle building, diet and training are equally as important.

A program like P90X will not build a lot of muscle, but it will speed up your metabolism and help you to burn calories. This is usually a great solution for an overweight individual, but not necessarily a thin individual who is looking to increase muscle mass.

If your answer was A, then do P90X. If your answer was B, then you probably want to look at other options. One thing that I will say though is that if you wanted to only workout at home and have limited equipment then the P90X is still a great option regardless of goals (based on those circumstances).

Hope this helps.
    Best non-biased post in this thread.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW