The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Good deal, deep tissue massage. Mmmmmmm.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Out of curiosity, did you do the hise shrugs anything like this? Or with this much intensity?

Video

Nice deload session, bud.

Garage Lifter
    Best video ever!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Thanks John!!
    No biggie Nick. Take care of that ab pull.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Good deal, deep tissue massage. Mmmmmmm.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you do the hise shrugs anything like this? Or with this much intensity?

Nice deload session, bud.

That is me! I made a vid to put online, but didn't attach it to my log. How is my form?

Sorry man, as much as I appreciate a joke I can't access the vid. I'm guessing some self deprecating humor would have been the appropriate response.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Best video ever!
    Surely you exaggerate. Have you seen the Thriller video?

Garage Lifter
    At least Micheal Jackson doesn't think he's a hardass.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Yeah I will, feeling better than yesterday.

Thanks mate.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

At least Micheal Jackson doesn't think he's a hardass.
    Fill me in on this video before I dig myself any deeper. Any news on the power cage?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Yeah I will, feeling better than yesterday.

Thanks mate.
    Excellent! The next few days should give you a better read on it.

Boxing, abs, and a massage. I signed up for a monthly plan and will be getting one every deload week. I really noticed when she was pushing on my lower back area. This was a good reminder to take it slow. I'l be deadlifting in a few days and wanted to jump from 360 to 405. We'll see how it goes. Thanks as always fellas.

The video is basically this guy named Steve Helmicki who calls himself the coach of Primordial Strength Systems. They do a bunch of really stupid stuff and act really tough. In this video, he loaded a bar with 845 in a shaky power rack, put a manta ray on the bar, and nodded his head 3 times. Those were his hise shrugs lol.

There is another one that is even better with a guy named Brad where he starts dancing at the end of it. I looked pretty hard for it but couldn't find it. It is hilarious.

For the record, I'm not knocking hise shrugs. These guys are just a piece of work lol.

Do you box in a boxing gym or do you have some stuff at home? If at home, what do you have?

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    Fill me in on this video before I dig myself any deeper. Any news on the power cage?
    I have the plans I just need to get them to the neighbor for a quote and time frame

The video is basically this guy named Steve Helmicki who calls himself the coach of Primordial Strength Systems. They do a bunch of really stupid stuff and act really tough. In this video, he loaded a bar with 845 in a shaky power rack, put a manta ray on the bar, and nodded his head 3 times. Those were his hise shrugs lol.

There is another one that is even better with a guy named Brad where he starts dancing at the end of it. I looked pretty hard for it but couldn't find it. It is hilarious.

For the record, I'm not knocking hise shrugs. These guys are just a piece of work lol.

Do you box in a boxing gym or do you have some stuff at home? If at home, what do you have?
    That's funny even reading. Something I'd definitely enjoy. Between Barracuda at work and my phone I miss almost all the vids. I box at a gym. Been going there about ten years. Most of which was 3-4 times a week. It's a boxing gym that also has grappling and kenpo. Most of my time has been spent on boxing, but I trained a few years each of ground and kenpo. I only go once a week for cardio and to keep at least a little bit of skill now. It's really a fantastic workout if you haven't tried it. If you have, then you know what I mean.

I have the plans I just need to get them to the neighbor for a quote and time frame
    That will really be sweet! Be nice to the wife that week.

Thanks for the info. I've never boxed but am a really avid boxing fan, which is why I asked about it. Did you ever fight?

Thanks for the info. I've never boxed but am a really avid boxing fan, which is why I asked about it. Did you ever fight?
    Yes. I've fought boxing, kickboxing, and mma. I started in my late twenties and really just wanted to learn some useful tools for the street/job. Eventually, I was holding my own with some pretty good fighters from the gym and some other gyms. I was prodded into competing, and did a few times.(nothing noteworthy) I was completely happy testing myself in a dingy old gym. Broken hands, noses, and missed work put a stop to it. Matt trained jui-jitsu and Nick Aus boxed and wrestled? Both are fans of different combat sports. I notice you like to do some fun cardio work. Boxing might be right up your alley.
    Last edited by john o; 04-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Yeah I've always wanted to hit around on a heavy bag, and I've always really wanted to mess around on a speed bag as well. I'm not a fighter at heart but I love pure boxers (Floyd Jr., Paulie Malignaggi, etc.), guys who don't necessarily win because they have one punch KO power. I'd like to learn some of the technique just for fun. Also, watching those guys hit and slip the mitts/sticks looks really cool. One of these days I may invest in something just for fun.

Yeah I've always wanted to hit around on a heavy bag, and I've always really wanted to mess around on a speed bag as well. I'm not a fighter at heart but I love pure boxers (Floyd Jr., Paulie Malignaggi, etc.), guys who don't necessarily win because they have one punch KO power. I'd like to learn some of the technique just for fun. Also, watching those guys hit and slip the mitts/sticks looks really cool. One of these days I may invest in something just for fun.
    Well, when you are ready feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to "brainstorm" with you. I like the speed bag it hits all the little muscles within the shoulders. True masters of their craft are a beauty to watch. Guys that slick and elusive are rare and, to me very frustrating to spar.
    Last edited by john o; 04-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Oh man...I've been wanting to get my paws on a tractor tire for some time and all this chit chat about tractor tires is sorta motivating me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Oh man...I've been wanting to get my paws on a tractor tire for some time and all this chit chat about tractor tires is sorta motivating me even more.
    It would get the job done that's for sure!

Deadlift: (conventioal) 135x12, 205x8, 255x6, 295x5 (add belt)
    Switch to mix grip (belt, chalk) 325x3, 365x3, 405x3, 335x10

Reverse hypers 25x15, 100x10, 100x10

BW chins 10, 6, 4

Kroc rows 100x22

Hammer curls 70x10 each, 55x8

Incline curls 32.5x5.5

This one wore me out! I ended up with half a rep less on the final set (inc. curls) I did manage to add five pounds, forty-five pounds, and twenty pounds to the last three sets of deads. I added 30 pounds to two sets of rev hypers, one extra chin, and two reps to the Krocs. I'll take that! I feel it in my legs way more than usual, not in a bad way. Hopefully I'm getting more leg drive.
    That's about as good as can be expected right now. Squats are up next, so I hope the upward trend continues.

Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    Well, when you are ready feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to "brainstorm" with you. I like the speed bag it hits all the little muscles within the shoulders. True masters of their craft are a beauty to watch. Guys that slick and elusive are rare and, to me very frustrating to spar.
    Thanks, John. I will take you up on that offer. I think I can understand why slick boxers are frustrating to spar. I think they are frustrating for most guys to fight because they are usually good at making adjustments in fight. Their minds are always on their next move, working their jab and countering. Most seem to have great footwork, too, though I don't think you could be slick and not have great footwork, lol.

I really like the double end bag and the maize bag, too. Just to see the way people throw punches and slip them. Heck, they can't even see the maize bag behind their heads and they move their heads just in time and just enough. Really cool looking. Do you watch much boxing?

Great job on the deads. I remember pulling for 10+ reps. I was using 5/3/1 last spring and gained a lot of strength quickly. This made for some doozys for the all out rep set, lol. I think I got as high as 14 or 15 reps once. 335 x 10 is no joke. Still jealous of that reverse hyper!

How did 405 x 3 feel?

Thanks, John. I will take you up on that offer. I think I can understand why slick boxers are frustrating to spar. I think they are frustrating for most guys to fight because they are usually good at making adjustments in fight. Their minds are always on their next move, working their jab and countering. Most seem to have great footwork, too, though I don't think you could be slick and not have great footwork, lol.

I really like the double end bag and the maize bag, too. Just to see the way people throw punches and slip them. Heck, they can't even see the maize bag behind their heads and they move their heads just in time and just enough. Really cool looking. Do you watch much boxing?

Great job on the deads. I remember pulling for 10+ reps. I was using 5/3/1 last spring and gained a lot of strength quickly. This made for some doozys for the all out rep set, lol. I think I got as high as 14 or 15 reps once. 335 x 10 is no joke. Still jealous of that reverse hyper!

How did 405 x 3 feel?
    Yeah, when you have to work so hard just to get a glove on a guy you end up making costly mistakes out of frustration. Anything different requires adjustments. I'm a southpaw and a lot of orthodox fighters have problems with that. The weakside is different so you move in an abnormal pattern, etc. I felt the same fighting another southpaw. It is pretty cool to watch those guys "dance" with those bags.

I don't actually watch a lot of boxing. I enjoy the classic fights and when given the opportunity will sit down and watch. I don't watch much TV, more movies. A few pages back I mentioned to Nick I had rented Facing Ali. It's a decent film you might want to see. They interview former opponents as to what it was like to fight Ali and show old fight footage.

I do get to watch amateur boxing in the gym and while cornering guys at events.

Good to know 5-3-1 was a successful program for you. Tom Mutaffis gave me a strength based 5-3-1 template I'll start when I feel my bodies ready. The hardest set was actually the last of the conventional deads. I have the same problem with grip that you do. The 405 wasn't a problem. My mixed grip is getting more secure. I should be ok for several more jumps. When I start reaching the weight I had been doing we'll see if my technique/grip work is helping. I believe that's the case, but want the evidence.

You are going to be really jealous when I put that tape on my back and vid my reverse hypers next week.

I got long-winded there, but there is no rush as I'm being paid while I respond

Thanks for checking in and pushing me.
    Last edited by john o; 04-24-2010 at 03:12 AM.