The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Nice pulling and benching mate, hope the backs ok and you're back in no time too. Btw stick with conventional on the deads, it looks way cooler

Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    Between buyig chalk last night and tearing the callous I sort of resembled a powerlifter for a bried moment.
    Awesome

Nice lifting bud. BTW, I am john as well...whats the John count up to in this log...3?

Yeah, 3 far as I know. I'm starting to feel like a prostitute with all the John's. Thanks for checking in. Wish I had some workouts to post.

Thanks. Going to be a while with the back, but it's good to know I can pick up some cool points with conventional deads. I

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Pipe View Post
    Nice pulling and benching mate, hope the backs ok and you're back in no time too. Btw stick with conventional on the deads, it looks way cooler

take care of yourself, you'll be back in no time.

FIrst day back. Exactly a week from injury. With some help from Matt I decided to test the waters. Basically, doing high rep movements in the pattern of injury and assessing the pain to determine how to go forward. Things went good so I plan on oing the squats daily with high reps and slowly raisng the weightand decreasing reps.
    Warmup and three sets of 25 rep squats with the bar. 1 set of high rep light weight for the rest o the muscle groups.

Tomorrow I'll squat with the bar plus 2.5 and so on each successive day. I'll sporadically throw in some other lifts throughout the week. Got the ice on now, but it felt good to get off my ass, even in such a limited capacity. I won't bore you guys with daily progress reports; every few days I'll post more so for me to track progress.

Thanks as always for the suggestions and support. It's nice to have a forum where we can help each other achieve our goals.
    Last edited by john o; 02-24-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Garage Lifter
    Sounds like a well thought out plan. I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time. Have you got your belt yet?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I ordered from Bob's Belts $109.00 a few days ago. They gave a 1 month eta as they are handmade. Got the three tone powerbelt in blue/gray/blue. Should have got some red as I need the 10 pounds more than ever.

Garage Lifter
    Grow a 'stache in the meantime. That also works
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Bob's belts are awesome, good deal - just saw what was out there...look forward to seeing you bounce back.
    Last edited by Coke; 02-25-2010 at 06:44 AM.

Banned
    Finally got a chance to stop in and now I'm putting this on my list of regulars, some really impressive lifting in here. Sorry to read about your back, but damn that makes the pulling you were doing even more impressive! I'm with coke, definitely looking forward to seeing you moving big weight again.

Did the routine yesterday 3 sets of squats bar plus 25 for 25 reps. Felt pretty good. Reread the article I'm basing the rehab on and it called for a little more weight than I had remembered. Today, I did 2 sets of 25 with 45 pounds and the third with 55 lbs. This was actually pretty tough for me. I'm supposed to focus on the squat and do no other heavy work. Screwed around and did a flat bech 21's, 10 lb. lateral raise to failure, tri- extensions, etc. Just doing something really. I did do a set of chins, which I probably shouldn't have. Back was extremely tight after this workout and getting around was comical. Did the ice, contrast shower, etc. This is supposed to be a painful process, which is not a problem. I just have to differentiate between good and bad pain so to speak. Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow as long as my body can do the motion adding ten on the last set. It's funny how you can lift a soup can for enough reps and you'll be more gassed from that than a low rep maximal effort day. Probably the lactic acid and different type of muscular work.

Still working on touching my toes LOL

Athos- I'm ready as well. I'm glad you're back wasn't a setback. That 480 was definitely a test.
    Matt- Growing a stache would hinder my modeling career.
    Coke- yeah, Bob's belts are highly recommended and supposed to be "top of the line" I'm bouncing like a lead balloon at the moment, but "I"ll be back." Hard to convey the Austrian accent over the internet.
    Last edited by john o; 02-26-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Garage Lifter
    Good work with the rehab. Its boring as hell but necessary sometimes.

Good to see you're on top of your rehab mate, you'll be back in no time

Thanks Matt's

Today was the 5th day in a row squatting. 3 sets of 25x55 65 75. Did an additional set for the other body parts.
    New PR . Still working on the elusive toe touch.

Garage Lifter
    Here's a DIY for grip stuff. Thought you might find it interesting:
    http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-mak...g-thick-grips/

Way to rehab and build yourself back up.

My days are running together. I haven't missed a day yet, but I think I did the same weight today as yesterday. 3 sets of 25; 65,75,85. It's tough to be so hyperfocused on form for so many reps, but I'm seeing some tendencies to slightly alter form as I tire. It's slight, but I'll keep working on it. A few more days and I drop to 15's with more weight. Getting closer to the toes. Finished up wth twelve misc. light ses for the remaining muscle groups. Purposeully resisting going heavy according to rehab protocols. Hopefully, strength returns quickly. Thanks again Coke and Matt. I checked out that link and that's a prety good idea. I realy haven't done grip specific work short of the few weks before the back. Just a few sets of Farmer's and Kroc rows were helpul. Once I'm back to speed I might try those if other options aren't working.

Dropped the reps to 15 and added weight. 3 of 185. Tweaked it a little on the first set; I don't think too badly though. Getting close to touching my toes and I can now lift my feet into position to wash when I shower. This is going to take a while I suspect, but I am making progress.

Garage Lifter
    Doing a great job keeping focus. It would drive me absolutely nuts but unfortunately its necessary. Sounds like you're definitely making progress though.

It is what it is bro, all you can do is be patient as things improve slow but surely.

Banned
    Keep it up, being this focused and patient while you do what has to be done is a testament to your work ethic. You are moving in the right direction my friend!

Nice job building yourself back up bud...stay smart and keep it up.

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate it, because frankly this I a pain in the ass; or back as it were. I think todays session was ten days in a row. I warmed up well, did some freestanding and a bar squat set, then did 185, 205, 205, for ten reps. I felt "weakness" again at the low portion of the lift where the back is at it's most arched. I think I'm right on the edge of what my back can tolerate at the moment. I'm going to tak a day or so off and may see if i can handle 225 for 5's. I leave for Honduras Tuesday, so that will give me a four day rest. I'm not going over 225 until my belt arrives, as I'm still a little paranoid. Finished up with some high rep sets for the other muscle groups. Decided to rep out with 225 on flat bench to see how much strength I've lost. The 15th rep would have require some lower back involvement so I deferred completing the rep. Instead, I had 225 on my chest and had to figure out how to get it off without using my back. Let's just say even I was laughing at me.

Keep it up, it will all be worth it in the long run.

Best of luck!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...