Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: John O's log to 1,607 @ 242 raw

Banned
    Good job with getting in the work that you did (and however the heck you managed to get that weight off without using your back). The time off while you are away may do you some real good. Hope to see you feeling stronger after your return.

Smart to stay at a weight that you're comfortable with while building back up...that'll ensure you're able to continue back up to where you were and then further. Have a safe trip!!

Garage Lifter
    I want to see a video of that bench work

Enjoy your trip. I'm sure the extra rest will be helpful.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I actually leave very early Wed, not Tuesday as I posted. Took two days off and got one in today. Squats 135x10, 205x10, 205x10, and 225x5. My legs have given me problems for years. I've ripped my groin and pulled my hamstrings moretimes than I can remember. Plus, I'm generally inflexible even with good warmup and stretching. I'm trying to sort it out because I think difficulty getting deep without the feeling of stress on my ITB bands can wreak havoc on my form. Trust me I've tried damn near everything. Followed up with 6 bench sets. Went up to 275x3 so I've lost a good amount of strength. Finished with supersets for shoulders. Shrugs, lateral raises. Tomorrow I might deadlift very lightly plus abs. Had a spotter today Last time I just rolled the bar down past my waist, grabbed an end of the bar and let it drop to the floor and slowly did the same for the other side, and all video evidence has been destroyed!

Injuries are such a pain. You seem to be a very focused individual. That's excellent for getting back up on the horse. Be a persistent bugger is what I say.

Enjoy your trip.

Ciao!
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Banned
    I agree with bulk boy, you are extremely focused and even with injuries, you're still doing everything that you can. No excuses or b.s., just making the best of it, I love that attitude. Looks like you had a pretty decent workout still, great work!

Well thanks BB and Athos! It's as much habit as anything else. I've trained consistently for something or another since I was five. It gets to be sort of like eating, you know when it's time. I am fairly self-motivated, but the help and support in here only enhances that.
    BTW Athos I got a little nostalgic with your Trek story. When I was a kid my father would ride the Katy Trail every day on this old 8 speed Schwinn ? with an apple seat. He had huge headphones and tube socks pulled all the way up. Anyway, some young guy with a 2,0000 dollar bike and shave legs tried to pass him and couldn't. My dad knew the guy rode on Tuesday mornings and made sure he waited for the guy just to torture him. Eventually, the guy gave up trying to beat him.

Tried deadlifting today. 1pps trap barx15, 2ppsx10, 2ppsx10, conventional 135x15.
    Followed up with BB curl and Jm press supersets x 4 and some ab work. Kind of limited on what I could do for abs, but they are weak. Note to self. This was decent for the day. I'm definitely not close to do anything heavy, but I'm on the cusp of at least being able to handle most of the movements. Deadlifting was comparable to the squatting in terms of limitation, but it was nice just to pick up a bar.

Gotta run and get some shorts for the trip, maybe a massage as well. The only thing I'm lifting for four days is a cigar and perhaps a Honduran girl. She must be light though.

I hope to check in on your journals later this evening. If not, take care and keep strong.

Garage Lifter
    Good to see the progression. I just got a mental image of my dad on his bike with the tube socks and (for my dad at least) a green fish net tank top. LFAO
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Banned
    Nice wrok, sounds like you are definitely moving in the righ tdrection. Love the Katy trail story, I live about ten minutes from the Katy and yep, I see guys like that all the time. I need to bust out the tube socks and try the same thing.

take it easy on the Honduran girl! save some energy for the gym!

Thanks gentlemen. Johnny I didn't bring my phone so I missed that advice. Thought you might like that A considering your rationale for the Trek with your buddies.

Well, I'm back and alive so that's a plus. Slept about 12 hours in 3 days. The trip was through a cigar company and the housing was dorm style. One of the guys snored terribly so I went to a courtyard by the pool that had couches. Another guy in the room followed and he proceeded to snore on the couch next to me. The next night same thing except this time when I went to the couch the roosters mocked me. I know God was havig some fun and I literally looked in the sky and told him so.
    I smoked at least twenty five cigars, and managed to get in one half ass exercise session. I did about ten minutes of cardio stuff and stretched, a few sets of pushups, and i took a cooler to do 3 sets of bw box squats 25 and an additional set of paused ATG freestanding squats. Finished up with some shadowboxing. I did this as far removed from anyone as possible. The only person who saw me was our security guy who kept shadowboxing around me for the rest of the trip.

The first day was a two hour bus ride through pot holed roads I was in the back of the bus and getting bounced all over. Not good at all for the back. However, I did end up playing water volleyball and dancing. Ok, gyrating like an epileptic. I don't dance and shouldn't have done the volleyball, but I had a very good reason words wouldn' convey.

If anyone needs incentive to get big and strong Honduran women should be on the list. Most of the men are small in stature and are too busy working or don't have acess to weights. So, being a semi-fit big guy was a novelty. I had a couple good hair days as well. . Anyway, I hope this doesn't come across as if I'm trying to be some "player", trust me I hate "that guy;" just sharing a little and kidding around.

Looking forward to advancing the #'s this week when I can. Rough schedule though. 24 hour shift tomorrow, then midnights on Tues/Wed, and a 24 Friday. The belt should be coming soon.

Garage Lifter
    Sounds like you had a good trip. You're not supposed to sleep on vacations anyway

You deserved to getaway...hope to see you resume things soon to some extent man.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Sounds like you had a good trip. You're not supposed to sleep on vacations anyway
    Well, I did it correctly then. Yeah, it was a good vacation. One of those where you need a vacation from your vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    You deserved to getaway...hope to see you resume things soon to some extent man.
    I don't know if I deserved it, but I needed it. Me too! I'm itching to get back in there. It will probably be a few months, but I'll happily take slow and steady progress. I'm a little concerned about it being a long term issue, but all you can do is play the cards you are dealt. Thanks for sticking around through the process. That applies to all who post here.

Garage Lifter
    Have you ever used the Reverse Hyper at Powerhouse? Could be helpful. Are you going to start on Wendler's 5/3/1?

Quote Originally Posted by john o View Post
    I had a couple good hair days as well. .
    haha..good things.

Pics of the ladies, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    haha..good things.

Pics of the ladies, perhaps?

I'm an absolute goof with all things technology. I haven't developed the pictures yet, but if you want to walk me through it I can try. I usually post from my phone which is why it seems like I have problems with English and viewing videos etc. I'm on the work computer right now.

Have you ever used the Reverse Hyper at Powerhouse? Could be helpful. Are you going to start on Wendler's 5/3/1?
    Yeah, the reverse hyper was a staple accessory movement. I really liked them. Interesting you brought these questions up as I've been trying to decide where to go from here. I may try doing them without the weight tomorrow and see how the back responds.

As for 531, I've read the book and was going to start when I hit a 1,400 pound total (or closer to). I was probably mid 1,300's so I either would already be on it or going to start shortly. If you remember my goal was/is 1,607 by 40 (June 2011).

It's really predicated on the back. I would have no idea where to set my #'s for the lift and want to make sure I'm ready for the progression without any setbacks. It doesn't make sense to me to plug in numbers that are depressed by injury. I don't know I'm open to suggestion. You are the 531 guru, help me out brother.

Every time I see your progress I want to start though.

Looking good!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Garage Lifter
    Here's a few things that I remembered reading at EFS:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=115635&tid=

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=22908&tid=

AdamBAG is battling a pretty bad back injury right now and he's been really helpful for me:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rst-Bench-Meet

Good luck bud

Banned
    haha, the trip sounds awesome. Serious props for getting in some 'cooler' squats while down there too, that's dedication!

Here's a few things that I remembered reading at EFS:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=115635&tid=

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=22908&tid=

AdamBAG is battling a pretty bad back injury right now and he's been really helpful for me:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rst-Bench-Meet

Good luck bud
    You sure came through! I have bounced the idea of front squats around and just may have to do them if I don't eventually sort things out with back squats. I'm going to give it a while and see if back bar improves. I'm still healing and would like to do the lift that is used in competition.

Same with trap bar. I'll probably sprinkle a little of one or the other in based on how I feel. It's nice to have so many options though if this turns into a long-term deal. Honestly, my tight leg muscles/hips need to be sorted as well. I'll do everything I can to keep squatting though.

I'll do some reverse hypers in your honor tomorrow Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    haha, the trip sounds awesome. Serious props for getting in some 'cooler' squats while down there too, that's dedication!
    Maybe you missed the 25 plus cigars Athos. Now, that's dedication! I wanted to get something in just to loosen up and keep some range of motion. I find myself doing hip rotations, reaching for the sky, and cat stretches on days I don't train just to see if it aggravates it.

Keep us posted on those meets. I played around with doing the Show Me Games just to get one under my belt. Obviously, that's out. I'm not dead set on doing one, but, I wouldn't mind giving a low level event a try to see if i like it and to learn a few things if I ever decided to do a bigger/other events.

You are doing the right things. Slow and steady progress is the best way to get your back healthy. I've been fighting a disc issue since last July, so I understand your frustration.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)