The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Band Set Up Questions

I wanted to do a search for this very question, as I'm sure it's been asked... But I can't find the search function...

Alright, so, I realize these band questions from me are probably getting a bit on the annoying side, but I'm a band newb

I checked the power rack, there's no chance I'm getting the lights underneath it. It's pretty flush to the floor.

For bench, I think I've found a way around this problem with minis.

Bench:
    Either I can:

A) Take one mini, attach it to one side of the bench, run it under the bench and attach it to the otherside, and then take another mini and do the same to create the double mini effect. I saw this in a few different places in regards to set up, but wouldn't that take away some tension at the top of the lift? I'd imagine setting up the minis to the floor would add a significant amount of tension versus running it under the bench.

B) I don't have heavy enough DBs to use to anchor the weight, so I was thinking of stacking a few 45s. We have 45 pound plates that kind of look like a steering wheel. They have holes around them as well as the center. I can feed the band through the holes on the outside, sit the plate on top of the mini and then bring the mini back up to the bar to double it up.

Here's where I'm really lost:

Squat:
    With Light Bands.

Again, I can't use the bottom of the power rack. The "Oh ****" bars will go fairly low to the floor, but it's about 6-8 inches off the ground still. I'm imagining that this is going to seriously decrease tension in the bands. But, I can adjust the bars... Is this a good option? The only issue I see here is that if I fail, I have nothing to catch the weight on... Although since I'm doing these for DE days, I'd hope I'm not going to fail, but you never know.

If not I can do method B listed above for these as well.

Thanks for any and all tips/advice... I'm all ears here. I want to do these correctly and truth be told I'm excited as hell, but I'm a little nervous too.
    Last edited by KoSh; 02-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah, choking them around the bottom of the rack seems to be out of the question.

You said the heaviest DB's you have are 45 lbs. I would take those, and the 2nd heaviest pair of DB's you have. Put one of each weight on each side, and choke the bands around both DB's. You may have to put 45's or quarters on top of the DB's somehow to keep them down. Light bands aren't more than 100 lbs or so at the top 40+40+45+45 = 170 lbs, so those DB's alone should keep the lights down

I have to do something similar, but I have heavier DB's. Choking around 2 DB's will give you some more tension. For example, a blue choked around 80's and 85's on each side + 2 25 pound plates on each side keep them down.

The safety pin idea probably won't work, you'll lose all the tension at the bottom. Same with the mini band choked on the bottom of the bench.

You could try taking a light band and stretching it from collar to collar under the bench. I've never done it, but seen it used. Not sure how much tension it'll give you
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Yeah don't use the pins to anchor the bands. You could make it work by choking them multiple times, but the tension is most likely going to pick up the rack and tip it over when you're squatting.

those highschool racks are quite light

Putting the bands under the bench can indeed work. Paul Key likes to do it that way

Seriously though, get some DB's. Watch Craigslist, gyms are going out of business left and right at the moment. I got 40's up to 100's for $475. Any highschool should have some DB's

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    Yeah, choking them around the bottom of the rack seems to be out of the question.

You said the heaviest DB's you have are 45 lbs. I would take those, and the 2nd heaviest pair of DB's you have. Put one of each weight on each side, and choke the bands around both DB's. You may have to put 45's or quarters on top of the DB's somehow to keep them down. Light bands aren't more than 100 lbs or so at the top 40+40+45+45 = 170 lbs, so those DB's alone should keep the lights down

I have to do something similar, but I have heavier DB's. Choking around 2 DB's will give you some more tension. For example, a blue choked around 80's and 85's on each side + 2 25 pound plates on each side keep them down.

The safety pin idea probably won't work, you'll lose all the tension at the bottom. Same with the mini band choked on the bottom of the bench.

You could try taking a light band and stretching it from collar to collar under the bench. I've never done it, but seen it used. Not sure how much tension it'll give you
    Well, my gym goes to 100 lb DBs...

I was referring to using actual 45 lb plates when I said that above. We also have 100 pound plates which could come in handy.

But here's the weight selection:

20 - 2 pairs
    25 - 2 pairs
    30 - 2 pairs
    35 - 2 pairs
    40 - 2 pairs
    45 - 2 pairs
    50 - 2 pairs
    55 - 2 pairs

People use the heavier DBs quite often, so I'd really feel like an ass for taking up a bench + the only set of heavy DBs + weight.

I could probably take a pair of the 55 and 50s and then anchor those with 2.5 lb plates or 5 lb plates to each side to prevent rolling for the bench.

And for Squat I could do something very similar.

I think utilizing the 100 pound plates is a major option. No one uses them and we have about 6 of them.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Yeah don't use the pins to anchor the bands. You could make it work by choking them multiple times, but the tension is most likely going to pick up the rack and tip it over when you're squatting.

those highschool racks are quite light

Putting the bands under the bench can indeed work. Paul Key likes to do it that way

Seriously though, get some DB's. Watch Craigslist, gyms are going out of business left and right at the moment. I got 40's up to 100's for $475. Any highschool should have some DB's
    I lift at a gym other than the HS. The HS gym is in constant use, and even when I'm there with my guys I'd be taking up space if I lifted with them. The weight room is small and when we have 30-50 guys in it at a time it gets crowded. Even if we break the group in half and have the other half do something else for the short term it's still crazy in there.

I'm in the process of figuring out the funds for setting up a home gym, and when I do that I'm definitely going to get some heavy DBs. But for the time being, I've got what I got and I'm trying to find a way to make it work
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

The 100's will work well for choking the bands around, its what you're gonna have to do
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Yeah, use the DBs. Anything else is going to be over complicated.

If you're at a gym that you paid a membership for, you have every bit as much right to use the equipment as anyone else.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    The 100's will work well for choking the bands around, its what you're gonna have to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Yeah, use the DBs. Anything else is going to be over complicated.

If you're at a gym that you paid a membership for, you have every bit as much right to use the equipment as anyone else.
    Ok, I will do just that, then.

Use the 100s for both the minis and the lights? Or could I get away with less for the minis?

Thanks again, by the way, hopefully after I get the first few sessions under my belt it'll be smooth sailing!
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method