Thread: hack squats

hack squats

Are hack squats a good excersise to have on leg day? Do they for your quads or your glutes? Should I do these or just stick with deadlifts?

They are a good exercise. That said though, a better one is the regular squat. I do both squats and deadlifts, squats on leg day, deads on back day as I feel them more in my entire back than anwhere else. At least that is where the soreness ends up

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

i do hack squats every week at home, since i dont have much equipment... they work the quads great... when im done i can barely walk. i agree with Natedogg though that the regular squat is best. and i also do deads on back day

PR blaster!
    I also do barbell hack squats in my basement, they're a great overall movement, kinda like a perfect deadlift/squat hybrid.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

definately include hack squats in your leg day
    personally, the hack squats kill me way more than the squats

i feel like i have to work a lot harder....seems to exaust me more, and i do both my squats and hack squats till faliure

i just think they hit the quads better....like someone taking a jackhammer to your legs

What about hack squat machines > ?
    they are like a cross between a leg press and squat.
    any good, or stick with barbell ?

Originally posted by Shocker
    What about hack squat machines > ?
    they are like a cross between a leg press and squat.
    any good, or stick with barbell ?
    That's what he is referring to.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

All right. I'm gonna keep doing them then.
    I can't do squats at home because I don't have a squat rack. That really sucks. I'm gonna get a membership at the Y this summer and lift in the evenings after work. That way I'll be able to do everything I want to do, like sqats and leg press.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

The hack squat machine is awesome! I love that thing. More challenging than the leg press, perfect for post-squat.

"Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Extremely Disturbed
    When I do hack squats on LEG day, I leave out deads on back day which is every other week.
    Last edited by Horseman; 05-02-2002 at 06:17 PM.
    H

Originally posted by Jane
    The hack squat machine is awesome! I love that thing. More challenging than the leg press, perfect for post-squat.

I do em super-slow on that , about 6/6 cadence anyway. I think this machine is harder on the lower back than free weights are, where the weight is held about waist height.

Nate :