The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Do you favor 'The New' WBB?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I fraggin' love it!

11 15.28%
  • I don't really care, but like this better than the old one.

10 13.89%
  • I couldn't give a rats, but like the older one more than this one.

40 55.56%
  • I hate this more than sauerkraut marinated in dung!

11 15.28%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Who Favors 'The New' WBB?

What do you think of the new WBB layout? It won't make a difference most likely of what people think, but I am just curious as to peoples opinions. Personally being a member of 5+ years, I don't like it at all. It barely changed over the 5 years I was a member, and this is a fairly decent change so far. No, it's not a big deal, and I can find my way around. I have noticed a few things like how it doesn't show who posted last in a subscribed thread (solution?) and how it doesnt support widescreen monitors like the old format. Also i've seen how it automatically 'half-paragraphs' some peoples posts. Say, it makes a post only take up half (the left) side of the body area, instead of the full area. Just curious of others opinions, not trying to be a revolutionist.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This new layout seems brighter and a bit sterile, though not necessarily bad, just different. The only real issue I have is the color, would rather it be back to the nice soft blue instead of the white. Also the navigation at the top is a bit small (clicking Forum, General Chat etc). Forum icons are also kind of ugly, as well as the default forum emoticons. Just something you gotta get used to. You'll forget what the old layout was like in a week. Hopefully they'll do something to make it look more like the old WBB because right now it just looks kind of like a generic internet forum.
    Last edited by CleverName; 02-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.

It sucks without the 'New Posts' button. That button gave quick and easy access to all the new posts. Put that back and we're gold.

Edit: I found the feature I was looking for.

One thing that I do not like is how every thread starts with "POSTED BY" why cant it just say the name like the old board.
    Last edited by View 1; 02-09-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    What do you think of the new WBB layout? It won't make a difference most likely of what people think, but I am just curious as to peoples opinions. Personally being a member of 5+ years, I don't like it at all.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    it doesnt support widescreen monitors like the old format.
    This part drives me insane. I have a large monitor and I'm forced to read WBB using only the middle 1/3 of the screen. The other 2/3 is completely wasted. Bring back the old style!

Also i've seen how it automatically 'half-paragraphs' some peoples posts. Say, it makes a post only take up half (the left) side of the body area, instead of the full area. Just curious of others opinions, not trying to be a revolutionist.
    This really bothers me as well. As if only using 1/3 of my screen wasn't bad enough, my posts are being wrapped to only take up half of the posting area. Why does this not occur with all posts? For example, CleverName's post above uses the whole area and isn't cut in half.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 02-09-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Gamer/Lifter
    I didn't care for it, I would much prefer the old style over this
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Hey guys,

I appreciate that for those that have been long term members, this change is a pretty significant one. The reason it is significant is because we've not only upgraded to the newest version of the software (which is a really big one, from version 3 to 4) but also because we've brought the main page design into the forums to make things consistent.

Now, a lot of what is discussed in this thread can easily be addressed and I have already made a list of things we intend to fix quickly in the official feedback thread

For example, things like 'POSTED BY' before everyones name should just be a 2 min fix, so we can fix up this stuff nice and easy, I just need people to let me know the bugs/issues and I will get going on them.

Of course some of it comes down to it just being a change and it will feel wierd for a bit. It is essentially a different design after all. But I am positive that everythinng you guys are noticing can be easily addressed in the next couple of days
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

As a long time vBulletin programmer and set-up/tear-down guy, vBulletin puts out updates to forums that are critical to it's well being and functionality. vB 4.0.1 being just over a year old, it's had it's time to harden and bugs worked out. Theme/skin/color options are available, keeping in mind each added theme would take up space on the back end. Not knowing anything about the server these forums are on, a multitude of themes and colors could potentially slow the board down, but I doubt a few choices allowed would hurt. 4.0.2 will be out soon as well, was supposed to be released soon after 4.0.1 but was witheld, and still being done so. We just need to keep giving feedback and to what should be changed to our likings and leave it up to those with the abilities to do so. vB is a very versatile platform with plenty of work arounds and options. It may take some time, but it'll feel just like home soon enough.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    As a long time vBulletin programmer and set-up/tear-down guy, vBulletin puts out updates to forums that are critical to it's well being and functionality. vB 4.0.1 being just over a year old, it's had it's time to harden and bugs worked out. Theme/skin/color options are available, keeping in mind each added theme would take up space on the back end. Not knowing anything about the server these forums are on, a multitude of themes and colors could potentially slow the board down, but I doubt a few choices allowed would hurt. 4.0.2 will be out soon as well, was supposed to be released soon after 4.0.1 but was witheld, and still being done so. We just need to keep giving feedback and to what should be changed to our likings and leave it up to those with the abilities to do so. vB is a very versatile platform with plenty of work arounds and options. It may take some time, but it'll feel just like home soon enough.
    4.02 should address quite a few of the quirks and even though it was delayed recently, I reckon should be out this week or some time next week.

I'm definately fine with creating a full width skin selectable as an option as this seems to be the most common gripe.

Every time there is a big vbulletin (forum software) upgrade things will always change a little from version to version and it will take a bit of getting used to and also bugs will appear and need to be solved, but after a week or so we'll have this stuff ironed out and some of the new stuff will start to feel normal I am sure.

I am definately listening to everyone though and we'll get everything to peoples liking soon.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Replies like that are reason myself and many other people have been members for years, Daniel. Appreciate your replies, and hopefully more contribute to help let you know if anything else is 'wrong'. I know if it supported widescreen, quit the 'half-body posting' and changed the way it displayed most recently replied (or the new posts thing, I'm confused if they are the same or not) then many people would be happy!

View, did you say you found a solution to that? Thanks for everyones opinions and contributions.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

See the feedback and suggestions forum for the New Posts problem.

Keep in mind guys, this thing isn't done yet. It took a LOT of time as we want the main site to be more cohesive with the forums. I actually really like the new design, however, try and be patient. This all will be taken care of in due time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thanks Jed!

I put in a temp code fix for the half way body posting bug, so that should be resolved now.

As for the recent/new posts, I think people mean the list of recent replies which the majority would use to go through new posts rather than go through each forum. This is not showing because we're actually missing a pretty significant nav bar at the top which should come back today but for the mean time, use this link - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sea...e=vBForum_Post (is this what you mean?)

I will reserve my judgment for later. Whenever something you have been used to for a while suddenly changes it is hard to like it again so I think it deserves some more time. I do think it looks pretty slick though.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I will reserve my judgment for later. Whenever something you have been used to for a while suddenly changes it is hard to like it again so I think it deserves some more time. I do think it looks pretty slick though.
    Pretty much exactly how I feel. In the long run, I think I'll like it better. Definitely a more modern look. But is User CP completely gone? I guess I'll check the official thread.

Edit: User CP is now labeled "settings" in the upper right hand corner.
    Last edited by AKMass; 02-09-2010 at 07:13 AM.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Georgia Boy
    Change scares me.

I prefer the old version, but i'm sure this version will grow on me. I'm sure most of us are just used to the other version because most of the forums use it (from what i've seen anyway). The new version does look funny on my 24" widescreen though, will take some getting used to.

We'll have to take another poll in about a month or 2......

edit, I miss the "new posts" button
    Last edited by jp2; 02-09-2010 at 06:43 AM.

new posts coming back sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon...

haha guys just be patient. We're working on restoring it to User CP as stated earlier in the Feedback and Suggestions forum

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I am a fan of the change but I think I liked the old standard post font better.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I have no qualms about it, just will take my eyes to adjust to the new color scheme, everything works perfectly fine and its actually faster imo. Its just new and will take some time for people to adopt the change, as with most things in life
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Gamer/Lifter
    Daniel, if it's not too much trouble maybe have it be an option if you want the "new" or the "old"

Hopefully you kept the old code so it's not too difficult to manage. If not, then o well

Your reply was excellent though.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    Daniel, if it's not too much trouble maybe have it be an option if you want the "new" or the "old"

Hopefully you kept the old code so it's not too difficult to manage. If not, then o well

Your reply was excellent though.
    As Travis said, this new version of the forum software is a significant new release and the old one was.. well.. an old one

As for the design, we conciously wanted to give the forums the same design as the home page and therefore even if I could, I wouldn't make the old design available because sometimes you just gotta move on and get used to a change

Unfortunately it's two different versions of vBulletin so that's not really feasible. It's not quite as simple as the coding.

Great to hear more responses and opinions. Another thing I noticed to the people who can fix bugs, is instead of saying who posted last and when, it just says "Last post today by [time]" and doesn't mention the name. This is on the right side of the User CP when youre looking at subscribed threads.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Overall I like it, but I think it'll take a bit of getting used to.

Like Daniel said, they've looked pretty much the same for a long time
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com