The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can't lift for 3 weeks

I thought this would get more replies here. I'm having hernia surgery on the 18th. I havn't trained since the 5th due to discomfort with the hernia. I don't want to lose all I have gained here in the past 3 months. I'm not sure what to do to prevent more muscle loss while wait to heal. How do I eat or whats some options?
    Thanks for any advice guys.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    you shouldn't lose a lot in three weeks. when i hurt my shoulder and couldn't lift for close to six months i just tried to keep my protein levels up and it seemed to work fine.

just keep eating and make sure youre getting enough protein

the break should do you some good physically and mentally (when you get back to it youll want to go harder)

There isn't a whole lot you can do. In 3 weeks you are going to lose some, but it'll come back quicker than it did the first time

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Just be patient and things will come back fine. Don't rush it and re-injure yourself or you will miss alot more time.

Not to try to get you down, but when I had surgery at the end of September I couldn't get off the couch for 6 weeks, and I was out of the gym for a total of 8 weeks. In that time I lost 30 pounds and almost 100 pounds on my bench. Here we are almost 6 months later and I'm just now getting back to where I was upper body-wise...but the weight came right back.

A hernia isn't anything to mess with by trying to get back to training too early. Listen to your doctor, and listen to your body. I'm assuming you're doing the 'graph' type surgery, where they use a piece of mesh to repair the tear. 99% of the time it works great and you're good to go very quickly...but once in awhile it doesn't take.

Just something to chew on.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Thanks for the encouragement!!
    It's kinda got me down since I was doing so good and sticking with my program with great results. But like you guys said I really don't have much of a choice.... I'll do as I'm told. I scheduled it to be fixed as quick as I could. I'm dying to get back to lifting. 6 months ago I didn't have the desire to pick up anything heavier than a 1/4 pounder with cheese. I'm almost positive I hurt myself on the frigging smith machine trying to bang out some sort of deads at work. I will be joining a real gym.

kmagnuss ...Thanks for sharing your experience... It is the mesh screen type repair.

You'll be fine. I think in my case it made my desire to keep at it even bigger. You always want what you can't have, and when you're sitting around all day getting pissed about the weight you're dropping, it makes you want it even more.

Best of luck on the surgery...and to the future when you crush your current personal records.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I too had a hernia surgery in the past. My recovery was quite long actually (although admittedly at this point I had already stopped training). I second the notion that you should not mess with your recovery time and simply just wait it out. Eat well, and you will make some awesome gains when you come back. I've not lifted for years (just started again recently) and feel like it's coming back decently. With a break as short as yours in comparison, don't even worry about it.

By the way when I woke up I was like holy **** this hurts (after trying to move lol). Recovery wasn't too bad though. Although at day 2 or 3 post-op my freakin' chihuahua pounced right onto my wound haha. To this day that is still one of the most painful moments of my life. Very brief pain, but very extreme. Other than that just played a bunch of video games. That was when I bought and played through Fable for Xbox. I still love that game (a shame the sequel wasn't as good as it was expected to be).

A tip though... get some of those constipation pills beforehand. I had liquid/soft foods for the first few days as it would have been impossible to poop since I had an inguinal hernia (down in the crotch area), but when I finally did need to use the toilet, I couldn't get it out lol. Tried and had to squeeze it back in like 5 times. Really crappy feeling haha.

I'm not exactly sure where your hernia is located, but who knows what might happen!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-10-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Not to try to get you down, but when I had surgery at the end of September I couldn't get off the couch for 6 weeks, and I was out of the gym for a total of 8 weeks. In that time I lost 30 pounds and almost 100 pounds on my bench. Here we are almost 6 months later and I'm just now getting back to where I was upper body-wise...but the weight came right back.

A hernia isn't anything to mess with by trying to get back to training too early. Listen to your doctor, and listen to your body. I'm assuming you're doing the 'graph' type surgery, where they use a piece of mesh to repair the tear. 99% of the time it works great and you're good to go very quickly...but once in awhile it doesn't take.

Just something to chew on.
    My experience was similar 20 yrs ago when I had it done in college, although my weight loss was not that much. Your body will remember where it once was before, and it will come back. DO NOT get back into it too heavy too early. You think it's got you down now? Try re-injuring yourself and doing the downtime TWICE. You'll hate yourself for it.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis