The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beakers mad science lab ... 5-3-1 based

Time for me to start a log and figured a snowy Saturday would be a good time to start.

Made it to the gym today through some snow etc. Got in about 8:30 and somehow managed to stay there till about 11:30 ... fueled by a single banana.

Ok so let me preface this by saying my goal is to do the "impossible" and lean out while gaining strength. At the urging of Tone i started 5-3-1 about 4 months ago and have seen really good results so far strengthwise.

I also want to apologize for rambling in this post, the following ones will be much shorter.

Start Stats:
    Age - 26
    Height - 6'8"
    Weight - 310AM 320PM (yup... 10 lbs a day... sometimes more)
    Inseam - 37ish (jeans)
    Wingspan - 81 inches
    Equipment - Inzer 10mm Single prong Forever belt.

Ok down to business.

Deads
    Warmup
    135x10
    185x8
    245x5
    Work
    295x5
    At this point some friggin weirdo starts talking my ear off and i cant get rid of him. I try not to be a jerk or i would have told him to go lick a flagpole or something... so i "cool off" before my 335set and have to start over

275x5
    315x5
    335x5
    365x2 (kind of getting a "feel" for the weight)
    395x2 (thought id die on the first rep, but the second came up pretty good)
    365x11 (this was my balls to the wall set)

I realize that this is nowhere near 5-3-1 compliant, but after i got my **** all screwed up talking with that dude i just kinda went for whatever i could do and this was it.

the 365x11 was MURDER for the last 2 reps and i loved it. The worst/best pain ever...

Then like a total idiot i decided to do more... i wanted to try something new
    245x8 for 3 sets with 30 seconds rest (or less) between sets
    225x6 for 4 sets with 30 seconds rest (or less) between sets

Calf raises on leg press machine
    495x15x 4 sets

Smith Machine BOBB Row
    140+whatever bar weighs on smith... 15reps 3 sets

Lat Pulldown
    160 to failure x 3 (i think i went 16-14-12 or something like that but i wasnt counting i was just going for it)

Hammer bar curls
    60lbs+bar 12 reps 4 sets

crunch machine for a ton... 160lbs 3 sets of as many as i could do (about 30ish per set i guess)
    back extensions unweighted 3sets of 12

ok so thats it... and again sorry for it being kind of all over the place ...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wow! Your posts are more of a mess than you are! You trained on 1 banana. Seriously. Dude. I don't know what to tell you. You ask for help, you want to "get better", we try to help, and you eat a banana. Your training there is immaculate dude. Yeah, it wasn't 531 compliant but who gives a sh1t it was still a bad a55 session. It was a ton of volume and great work. Now eat. Eat healthy and eat chicken, rice, and milk.

Which weirdo was it? Was it Mr. Dyed Black Hair or was it Mark? If it was Mark you can't be nice. You pretty much just need to tell that guy to go the FU(K away. He's an a55h0le of the highest order. Anyone else you just need to say "Look, I'm here to train, please leave me alone so I can get done. Thanks." People just don't get hints.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Wow! Your posts are more of a mess than you are! You trained on 1 banana. Seriously. Dude. I don't know what to tell you. You ask for help, you want to "get better", we try to help, and you eat a banana. Your training there is immaculate dude. Yeah, it wasn't 531 compliant but who gives a sh1t it was still a bad a55 session. It was a ton of volume and great work. Now eat. Eat healthy and eat chicken, rice, and milk.

Which weirdo was it? Was it Mr. Dyed Black Hair or was it Mark? If it was Mark you can't be nice. You pretty much just need to tell that guy to go the FU(K away. He's an a55h0le of the highest order. Anyone else you just need to say "Look, I'm here to train, please leave me alone so I can get done. Thanks." People just don't get hints.

yeah in hindsight i should have gone more than a banana, i have a hard time keeping food and stuff down while working out. i did have a protein shake after the deadlift session so that helped. then i came home and had a protein shake with milk, and then 2 whole eggs and probably 6 or 7 whites from the carton.

for lunch i had a bunch of grilled chicken, id say about 3/4 of a pound of it. it was grilled and diced so its hard to keep track but it was plenty.

and i just downed another milk/protein shake to hold me to dinner.
    Last edited by Beaker; 12-19-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Wow dude, you are really big and tall judging by them stats...good luck in reaching your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Wow dude, you are really big and tall judging by them stats...good luck in reaching your goals.

definitely tall but not that big yet

Pretty good bench day. Stuck to the 5-3-1 format.
    warmup
    95x10
    135x10
    185x5
    WORK
    205x5
    230x5
    260x8

followed by the "boring but big" format
    225x10 5sets limited rest

Incline BB press
    185x8 3 sets

Pec dec Flyes
    190x12
    215x10
    225x10

10 minutes eliptical, held above 6.5 (actually between 7.5 and 8.5) mph for 6 minutes straight on level 17 resistance with 2 minutes easy as warm up and 2 minutes easy cool off.

pretty good workout and im feeling the benching already.

Nice benching and all bro.

thanks cocoa

squats today . felt pretty crappy/tired going in and was about to leave, but 3 pretty large individuals threatened me with death so i stayed.

Squats
    Warmup
    135x10
    225x8
    275x4
    WORK
    315x3
    335x3
    375x7 (PR. Most weight ive ever hit and did one rep more than i did the week before at 365...)

Leg press
    495x8 4 sets

Quad extensions
    200x12 3 sets

i had to make it a quick night because i was picking up my weight sled from a friends house about 2 hours away. im just getting home now actually.

knees are a little sore lately when im just getting going, after im warmed up its fine, i think some of it is from all the snow shoveling. i have some omega 3-6-9 in my christmas stocking along with some glucosamine and some other goodies so hopefully that will take care of the soreness.

edit - im thinking next week im going to try more volume with big weight. i realize tonight was a short day and all. but i walked out of the gym like nothing happened, and my legs feel fine. i feel like i could have done that 375x7 again or at least got another 4...

im a big fan of the boring but big routine because it adds some of the volume but just didnt have time tonight. IDK.

i also went back to my original 5-3-1 spreadsheet from like 4 months ago. my best set back then was 270x8 and today i went 375x7 lol...
    Last edited by Beaker; 12-22-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Way to push through your head today man. It was good to see you kill that PR. Tim even called you for one more than I would have and you got even got THAT! Huge PR from your original man.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Thanks for talking me into staying Tone. after knocking that out last night, i woke up feeling motivated and ready to go at it hard tonight.

Military/Shoulder day today. Was motivated to get in and do some work but had a hard time keeping the intensity up.

Seated military
    wamup
    90x10
    Work
    135x8
    155x5
    185x5 (PR, most weight I've ever been under on this... I havent ever really focused on military till starting 5-3-1)
    165x8
    155x6

Standing Mil Press
    135x8 2 sets

Barbell Shrugs
    315x15 4 sets

Shrows
    65x15
    70x15
    75x15

Standing bent over single arm rows using smith bar as hand hold
    60x20 1 set each arm
    70x15 1 set each
    75x10 1 set each

lat pulldown
    180x16 3 sets

the single arm rows are by far the hardest thing on this day... i feel it hard in the obliques/love handles towards the end when im really crankin on it. not a bad day. looking forward to resting the next 2 days before deads.

Nice training this week. You're just what i needed at the gym. a big guy with self doubt.Haha. great job getting past it though. keep up the good training and eating, then maybe we can get you to do a meet in 2010, or at least make more of a commitment to the team.(actual train with us, not just loading some plates or watching but actually training with). You are a strong dude.
    Last edited by t gale; 12-23-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    JERSEY IRON MEMBER
    BENCH ONLY

BEST BENCHES PRE INJURY(JUNE 12)
    780@242 MP
    820@275 MP

BEST BENCHES POST INJURY
    705@275 SP

I'm going to remind you of this everyday. Your head holds you back. Nothing else. Your strength has gone up, you've kept pace with us (when you've trained with us), your intensity is there after we dig it out, and you've got some heart. You just need to stop over thinking and questioning yourself. Lucky for you, I've gone through and still go through this stuff so I'm here to help. Nice pressing today. People around you help when your intensity lags like you said. You need that push from those around you.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Great efforts for both days man.

Thanks a lot bro's. I really enjoyed these last 2 days off, i needed them. Now im set to hit it hard tomorrow for deads before making a trip to atlantic city for the night. Hopefully my new protein and preworkout get here monday or tuesday, but with the holiday who knows when it will actually be shipped out.

i went with some Jack3d as preworkout and Scivation protein because it was 60 bucks for 10lbs and had good reviews so i thought id go for it. i still want to try Nitrean so i'll prob order up some strawberry or vanilla soon.

ok i just made a huge long post of how pumped i was, but wifi issues caused it to be erased so this will be shorter (lucky you)

I woke up late and feeling kinda low on juice today after yesterdays long christmas celebrations.

Before the gym i remembered to gather some extra fuel this time. I ate
    1 banana
    2 peices wheat toast with jelly and butter
    1 Optimum nutrition protein mixxed with water
    1 big glass of OJ.

Deadlift day.
    Warmup
    135x10
    225x8
    315x5
    really wasnt feeling overly strong today, i was kinda draggin and everything felt heavy.
    WORK SET
    330x3
    365x3
    at this point i should have been going 395x3 but i had just seen a guy do a 405x1 and being twice his size i didnt want to look like a punk. Ive done 405 ONCE before and it was kinda hard. but i figured what the hell, worst that can happen is i drop the weight mid rep and go down in LBS.

i load up 405 and am stepping up to the weight, and decide screw that... i'll put chips on and go 410.

the first rep was HARD and about halfway through i questioned if I'd make it. but i figured im halfway there so i'll just keep pulling.

i get to the top, grab 2 quick breaths and say i'll go for another.

i wound up banging out EIGHT reps at 410... a HUGE PR for me.

I was jacked as hell but also crazy tired for the boring but big workout to follow.

315x8
    225x10 FAST with short rest 4 sets.

BOBB Smith row
    185 (on smith so not sure real weight) x10x4

Lat pulldowns
    200x15x4 (grunting louder than one should at a retrofitness)

v grip pushdowns
    70x10x4 and wasnt feeling them too much

lat bar wide grip pushdowns
    75x10x4 and was FEELING this hard which was great bc i dont usually feel tris much

wide grip standing lat pushdowns
    60x10x3 and this is what finished me off for the day.

all in all a good workout. i dont have the excel sheet for 5-3-1 on this computer but on the good ole' calculator it looks like it comes out to 545lb 1RM ?

ha. just looked at my old mathematical max of 440 lol ... yeah i guess its a good day.. 100lbs increase from last week haha

congrats. Damn right it's good. that's awesome man. great week see you next week sometime. you know where we are on mondays, all you have to do is show up if you're having a change of heart.
    JERSEY IRON MEMBER
    BENCH ONLY

780@242 MP
    820@275 MP

BEST BENCHES POST INJURY
    705@275 SP

Monster day today man! Great job Drew. Way to push! Like Tim said, Monday is only 2 days away...

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Awesome pulling, man!!! Way to go all out!!

Session is huge bro, keep it up.
    Last edited by Coke; 12-26-2009 at 04:33 PM.

thanks for the props guys its nice to have a community of people to keep you going.

Tim and Tone, i may be taking you guys up on your offer sooner than i had planned. talk to you tomorrow or see you tuesday im sure.

pretty good bench day today.

Flat bench
    warmup
    95x10
    135x10
    185x6
    225x4
    Work
    265x3
    295x3 felt great, this is actually a PR for me
    but as usual on my bench, i wanted to be harry hardballs and try to GO BIG so i was using 330 as my max, and went for ...
    315x0

ive hit 315 before, and technically it is my 1 RM. did it in the gym and felt like i had another 10-20lbs in me... but this was early in the workout and after the work sets i just didnt have it.

next week i'll be using 315 as a max. ... interestingly enough 295 is 93.something percent of 315 so thats about right...

then went
    295x1
    275x5
    265x8
    245x10x2
    225x10x3

rep strength is way up, about 2 cycles into the 5-3-1 adventure i was struggling to make a set of 10 at 225, now i can crush them out like its nothing which is great in my mind.

Incline bench
    185x10 (HUGE PR just becaues ive never tried it before, easier than i thought)
    225x4 (again, huge PR)
    185x8x3

after this i was pretty much spent. but did a few other things
    multijoint tri pushdowns (almost like dips)
    260x10x3

dips with 75 lb assist
    6 reps

then i called it a day so i dont ruin my squat day tomorrow.

edit. i noticed today i am significantly bigger in all the right places than i used to be. if im not ACTUALLY getting leaner i at least look that way because of the increased size in my shoulders arms and chest.

my shoulderblades have been SCREAMING all day sunday and today after the deads and BOBB row from saturday... not a bad pain, but you can tell they got some work in which is nice.
    Last edited by Beaker; 12-28-2009 at 05:45 PM.

You're a mess. lol.
    JERSEY IRON MEMBER
    BENCH ONLY

780@242 MP
    820@275 MP

BEST BENCHES POST INJURY
    705@275 SP