Would you guys be interested in me doing an Offseason / Lean Gain Q&A?
If you would, post your interest here and maybe some questions.
Here is a recent "offseason" pic of me, I'm 230 here. Competed last November at about 185 - should be closer to 195 at my next show this June.
I for one would be greatly interested.
1) Do you consider there to be optimal bodyfat ranges for offseason lean gain (ie., certain BF% to start and end at)?
2) What do you think about the various cyclic ketogenic diets (Anabolic Diet, Faigin's Natural Hormone Enhancement, Volek's TNT Diet, etc.)?
3) Also, what would be your advice for those in the "skinny-fat" category?
Looking forward to hearing your replies.
I would like a "lean/gain" Q&A, that would be great. As far as questions, I'm not so sure.
Without a doubt it would be an awesome read. I loved the lean bulk you set up for me (still following it).
One question I would be curious is your take on cardio and bulking. We never installed cardio in my bulk, so curious how you handle it with others.
Another question would be your thoughts on mini cuts within bulks to keep the BF in check. Yay? Nay?
Another would be your thoughs on cheat meals/days when bulking. Are they just an excuse to be lazy and eat like crap or do they serve a valid need/purpose.
Last edited by cphafner; 02-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez
"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1
"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"
From A Body Builder is Born
i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase
Id definately like to read a Q&A on this...I think it would apply to a lot of PL'ers as a lot of us want to steadily gain LBM without ever going though dramatic cuts down to single digit bf %'ages.
I have a couple of questions:
1) if i understand it right, you recommend dieting down to a more 'anabolic' bodyfat %'age before gaining LBM. If you cant really afford to lose too much weight (in my case cos my PL equipment wont fit properly) but want to gradually add lean mass starting from a bodyfat %'age of say 14%, how would you go about it?
2) IIRC you've mentioned before about it being important to be carb depleted before a high carb day...how long does it take to become carb depleted? Could you have, say, carbs in the first 4 meals of the day and just protein and fats for the last 2 and still be carb depleted the next morning?
3) Is there a direct relationship between variation in carb intake and insulin response? If there is, it would seem that in fact having very low carb days followed by very high carb days would be best for gaining mass but IIRC your recommendations are usually for mainly moderate and high carb days for gaining LBM.
^^ more great questions guys - keep them coming!
Thanks for taking questions. It seems to me that I put on muscle faster when I am over a certain bodyfat percentage....say over 14%. What do you think about the rate of muscle gain on a lean bulk vs. a not-lean bulk--fact or fiction?
From a powerlifting standpoint what are some dietary methods you would employ that reduced bodyfat while maintaining strength
and weight? I prefer limited weight fluctuation but my preference may not be feasiblle. I'm looking for basic principles more so
than extremely fine macro counts and the like.
Possibly a stupid question:
Is there a point where diet has to become significantly better to keep on gaining, and what are some simple things you can do to keep progressing in weight?
I was always a skinny kid, and once I started properly bulking I got up to 210 fairly quickly with LOTS of food and milk. Now it seems like I can't get much higher without my bodyfat going up. I'm not enjoying having some fat - its a new experience - but now whenever I up the calories my fat goes up more than muscle, so I'm just sort of stuck here. Is it at this point I need to really care about my diet instead of just following the "eat everything in sight" rule?
did this get written up?
Yes, submitted it to Daniel last week. Not sure when it will be up though.
Very interested in seeing your thoughts on these. You're a great resource for the site.
Last edited by StLRPh; 03-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.
"Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988
Should be up in a couple of weeks and it's an awesome one - worth the wait!
AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!
Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.
Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal
I, for one, am looking forward to it. I am not interested in a massive bulk, I'm just too old to do it effectively without it playing havok with my waistline. But, I still want the size and strength gains. I'll be keeping my eyes open!
Rugg - is that your Boston Terrier? I have a Boston, and also a Boston / English Bulldog mix. Great dogs.