Thread: Does fat and/or fiber really slow down (protein) digestion?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Does fat and/or fiber really slow down (protein) digestion?

I've read for the longest time on here that you should avoid fat intake around workout time due to slowing down your protein digestion, but lately I'm seeing that people's pre/post workout meals are including fat such as olive oil, mayonnaise, etc. and it makes me wonder if the original notion was correct, or if I misunderstood, or what. Thanks.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    IMO all the hysteria surrounding speed is manufactured BS from the supp industry to make supplements appear to be superior to food. That said, fiber will modulate the influx of amino's into your blood and fat will delay gastric emptying. So this can be of great benefit before sleeping of before any long period without food.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    So then you're saying if anything fiber has more of an effect than fat in slowing down digestion? And that is a good thought about manufactured BS, never thought of it that way. I am definitely looking into this more and more.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I would suspect so. I had the pleasure of learning from Terry Giles, a pharmacist and product formulator for Met-RX. He was quite convinced that fiber could play a significant role in modulating the influx of amino's into the blood.

One thing to note here is the digestion is still occurring in the small intestine as far as the protein being broken down. It's the actual entry into the blood that is delayed by the fiber.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------