The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Offseason / Lean Gain Q&A ????

Would you guys be interested in me doing an Offseason / Lean Gain Q&A?

If you would, post your interest here and maybe some questions.

Here is a recent "offseason" pic of me, I'm 230 here. Competed last November at about 185 - should be closer to 195 at my next show this June.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    I for one would be greatly interested.

1) Do you consider there to be optimal bodyfat ranges for offseason lean gain (ie., certain BF% to start and end at)?

2) What do you think about the various cyclic ketogenic diets (Anabolic Diet, Faigin's Natural Hormone Enhancement, Volek's TNT Diet, etc.)?

3) Also, what would be your advice for those in the "skinny-fat" category?

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT-John View Post
    I for one would be greatly interested.

1) Do you consider there to be optimal bodyfat ranges for offseason lean gain (ie., certain BF% to start and end at)?

2) What do you think about the various cyclic ketogenic diets (Anabolic Diet, Faigin's Natural Hormone Enhancement, Volek's TNT Diet, etc.)?

3) Also, what would be your advice for those in the "skinny-fat" category?

Looking forward to hearing your replies.

Great questions. Keep them coming guys.

Without a doubt it would be an awesome read. I loved the lean bulk you set up for me (still following it).

One question I would be curious is your take on cardio and bulking. We never installed cardio in my bulk, so curious how you handle it with others.

Another question would be your thoughts on mini cuts within bulks to keep the BF in check. Yay? Nay?

Another would be your thoughs on cheat meals/days when bulking. Are they just an excuse to be lazy and eat like crap or do they serve a valid need/purpose.

Conor
    Last edited by cphafner; 02-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    Id definately like to read a Q&A on this...I think it would apply to a lot of PL'ers as a lot of us want to steadily gain LBM without ever going though dramatic cuts down to single digit bf %'ages.

I have a couple of questions:

1) if i understand it right, you recommend dieting down to a more 'anabolic' bodyfat %'age before gaining LBM. If you cant really afford to lose too much weight (in my case cos my PL equipment wont fit properly) but want to gradually add lean mass starting from a bodyfat %'age of say 14%, how would you go about it?

2) IIRC you've mentioned before about it being important to be carb depleted before a high carb day...how long does it take to become carb depleted? Could you have, say, carbs in the first 4 meals of the day and just protein and fats for the last 2 and still be carb depleted the next morning?

3) Is there a direct relationship between variation in carb intake and insulin response? If there is, it would seem that in fact having very low carb days followed by very high carb days would be best for gaining mass but IIRC your recommendations are usually for mainly moderate and high carb days for gaining LBM.

I would like a "lean/gain" Q&A, that would be great. As far as questions, I'm not so sure.

Wannabebig Member
    ^^ more great questions guys - keep them coming!

Thanks for taking questions. It seems to me that I put on muscle faster when I am over a certain bodyfat percentage....say over 14%. What do you think about the rate of muscle gain on a lean bulk vs. a not-lean bulk--fact or fiction?

From a powerlifting standpoint what are some dietary methods you would employ that reduced bodyfat while maintaining strength
    and weight? I prefer limited weight fluctuation but my preference may not be feasiblle. I'm looking for basic principles more so
    than extremely fine macro counts and the like.

Thanks Shelby

Banned
    Possibly a stupid question:

Is there a point where diet has to become significantly better to keep on gaining, and what are some simple things you can do to keep progressing in weight?

I was always a skinny kid, and once I started properly bulking I got up to 210 fairly quickly with LOTS of food and milk. Now it seems like I can't get much higher without my bodyfat going up. I'm not enjoying having some fat - its a new experience - but now whenever I up the calories my fat goes up more than muscle, so I'm just sort of stuck here. Is it at this point I need to really care about my diet instead of just following the "eat everything in sight" rule?

Wannabebig Member
    did this get written up?

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, submitted it to Daniel last week. Not sure when it will be up though.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbystarnes View Post
    Yes, submitted it to Daniel last week. Not sure when it will be up though.
    AWESOME.

This is one i am REALLY looking forward to.

Garage Lifter
    Very interested in seeing your thoughts on these. You're a great resource for the site.
    Last edited by StLRPh; 03-09-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Should be up in a couple of weeks and it's an awesome one - worth the wait!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I, for one, am looking forward to it. I am not interested in a massive bulk, I'm just too old to do it effectively without it playing havok with my waistline. But, I still want the size and strength gains. I'll be keeping my eyes open!

Wannabebig Member
    Rugg - is that your Boston Terrier? I have a Boston, and also a Boston / English Bulldog mix. Great dogs.