Thread: 5/3/1 Assistance Exercises

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

5/3/1 Assistance Exercises

Hello,

First let me start off by saying I did not buy the book. My friend has it I wanted some input on what everyone thinks of the assistance work I have setup for this program.

Day One (OH PRESS)
    3x10 DB Military Press
    3x10 Barbell Curls:
    Day Two (DEADLIFT)
    3x10 Chins
    3x10 Lat Pulls
    4x15 Hanging Leg Raises
    Day Three (BENCH)
    3x10 Incline Press
    3x10 Rope Pushdown
    Day Four (SQUAT)
    3x10 Leg Press
    3x10 Leg Curls
    3x10 Weighted Situps

Too much? Too little? I'm training for a mix of strength/hypertrophy. Thanks in advance!

looks pretty decent, im a big fan of the "boring but big" assistance setup as well, its essentially doing 5 sets of 10 after your main workout, so on a banch day you'll go through your 531 then do 5x10 at about 65% or so.

after boring but big i usually do one or 2 of the assistance workouts you have listed its been working pretty well for me, but you have to make sure and take it easy on the deload weak or it catches up with you quick.

im used to doing a lot of volume so boring but big also keeps my brain at ease knowing ive done enough work.
    Last edited by Beaker; 02-10-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Andrew
    Height 6'8 Weight 310 and a little chubby. goal... leaner 310ish
    5-3-1 program started September 2009
    Bests as of 2/20/10 (workout bests)
    Squat - 445 (375x12)
    Bench -320 315x2(3/29/2010 post workout)
    Dead - 445 (495 hitched) (435x8 4/3/10)

Wannabebig Member
    Actually my friend suggested that to me. I think this would be pretty effective.
    Day One (OH Press)
    5x10x50% Military Press
    5x10 Chins

Day Two (Deadlift)
    5x10x50% Deadlift
    5x12 Hanging Leg Raises

Day Three
    5x10x50% Bench Press
    5x10 DB Row

Day Four
    5x10x50% Squat
    5x10 Leg Curl

Above percentages based off of my 1RM. How about it?
    Last edited by navy10; 02-10-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Thats straight from Wendlers book bro. Its only 20 bucks to buy, well worth the investment.

I like doing like 2 exercises 3 sets of 5-10 for assistance depending on the movement and purpose of it. Allows you to use a bit more weight that way and I have been successful with it.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Wannabebig Member
    I know it's straight from his book, lol. I've been looking at my friends for a bit.. Seems like either way works I guess.

LuNa
    Its assistance, so as long as you dont do millions of sets, i think you will be fine. Try it out and if you arent making progress on the 5/3/1 sets, cut back the assistance work until you are.

I think you also need to consider what you are doing for assistance and why. Think about weak areas of your main lifts or weaker/smaller muscle groups that you want to improve.

For example....Lat Pulldowns and Chins are not going to help your deadlift if your weak point is your lower back. Leg Press and leg curls arent going to be the most effective help if you are getting stuck in the hole in a squat. These are just for talks sake.

You may already have considered this when choosing your exercises. I just think its an important aspect.
    Last edited by -JM-; 02-11-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I think you also need to consider what you are doing for assistance and why. Think about weak areas of your main lifts or weaker/smaller muscle groups that you want to improve.

For example....Lat Pulldowns and Chins are not going to help your deadlift if your weak point is your lower back. Leg Press and leg curls arent going to be the most effective help if you are getting stuck in the hole in a squat. These are just for talks sake.

You may already have considered this when choosing your exercises. I just think its an important aspect.
    Agree. Figure out your weak points of the main lifts and target those.

Looking at what the OP had down:
    Day One (OH PRESS)
    3x10 DB Military Press
    3x10 Barbell Curls:
    Day Two (DEADLIFT)
    3x10 Chins
    3x10 Lat Pulls
    4x15 Hanging Leg Raises
    Day Three (BENCH)
    3x10 Incline Press
    3x10 Rope Pushdown
    Day Four (SQUAT)
    3x10 Leg Press
    3x10 Leg Curls
    3x10 Weighted Situps
    I'm not sure what doing chins AND lat pulls is going to do. Seems redundant. I'd keep the chinups but perhaps do something else for back, too, like RDL's, power cleans, or good mornings. Same with doing DB Millies after BB OH press. I might hit another movement that targets shoulders just for variety. But again, work on your weaknesses.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

also dont be affraid to vary your assistance, you can do boring but big one week, then the assistance you wrote down the next week, then the triumvirate (from book) the next week, and on your deload week just take it real easy and do whatever you feel like doing.

the MAIN reason i like boring but big so much is it takes a lot of the thinking out of it, you go in, do a ton of bench, then do whatever you feel like doing for 2 more exercises (if you feel like it) and then youre done.

i highly suggest typing up a few routines and keeping them in your bag, keep track of the weights youre using etc, this gives you something to go off of and takes a lot of the "guess work" out of your assistance. i hate being in the gym all fired up and then not really knowing what im going to be doing for the next set.
    Last edited by Beaker; 02-11-2010 at 07:19 AM.
    Andrew
    Height 6'8 Weight 310 and a little chubby. goal... leaner 310ish
    5-3-1 program started September 2009
    Bests as of 2/20/10 (workout bests)
    Squat - 445 (375x12)
    Bench -320 315x2(3/29/2010 post workout)
    Dead - 445 (495 hitched) (435x8 4/3/10)

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the input everyone.