The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Definitely get some chalk. If the gym don't allow it, get a chalk ball and use it. Doesn't make a mess, can put it in a bag and use it when ya need. Keep at it bro, it'll come.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

good work fix. just be careful not to over analyze at times. listen to your body. if it felt good to rest, its probably because you needed it.......
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good stuff there, steadily on the rise...great effort going for the 4pps deads, you'll get that soon no doubt.
    Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Sounds like ya need some chalk.

Nice workout. It looks like straight setting the chinups helped a bit?
    Thanks bro.

I didn't change anything about the Chins in that regard. I still dropped and did Burpees after every set XD I really don't see why not. I'm waiting for my pulling muscles to recuperate anyway, might as well get a conditioning workout (which uses opposing muscles as the Chins) as well and I always start my Chinning sets after full rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Definitely get some chalk. If the gym don't allow it, get a chalk ball and use it. Doesn't make a mess, can put it in a bag and use it when ya need. Keep at it bro, it'll come.
    Thanks Mark.

Chev/Mark - I was using chalk actually haha. I should clarify - my actual grip strength seemed fine throughout the pull, I think what happened with my left hand was that my mixed grip has my left hand gripping the bar overhand, and I pull sumo, so my fingers sort of slid up the front my leg and it kind of made it feel like it was slipping. But I think in the end it was just my back that couldn't lock it out.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-04-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    good work fix. just be careful not to over analyze at times. listen to your body. if it felt good to rest, its probably because you needed it.......
    Thanks man. Yeah man that is me, I over-analyze so many things in life. Definitely felt good to rest. I should do that more often XD
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

6/7/10

High-bar Squats (9.5" box)
    -hip warmup
    -45 x 10
    -95 x 5
    -135 x 4
    -155 x 3
    -185 x 2
    -215 x 5
    -215 x 5
    -215 x 10 [+6 reps]

After the 4th rep I was thinking "okay, just one more rep = improvement!" Upon doing rep 5, I could've easily racked the bar and been satisfied and have done just that many times, but instead I thought to myself, "I totally can do more than this." So I just keep busting them out with a rather rest-paused approach. My squats lately have been quite rest-paused though but I feel that's the best way for me to progress the heavier it gets.

Standing one-armed DB Press
    -external cuff warmup
    -45's x 6 [+5 lbs, -2 reps]
    -45's x 7 [+5 lbs, - 1 rep]

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8
    -90 x 5
    -125 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -125 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -125 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]

DB Curls (just wanted to lol)
    -35's x 7 [+2 reps]

*Lifts/Jumps supersetted after Dips
    Dips
    -BW+45 x 10 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+45 x 8 [+5 lbs]

Leg Lifts: x13 [+1r], x8 (back was hurting)
    Tuck Jumps: x50 [+5r], x60 [+5r]

Conclusion: I feel like I had some extra emotional drive behind this workout, and really pushed it hard. Squats made me ecstatic. 220 will be mine next week. OH Press was solid, and my left rotator cuff is finally not hurting so much anymore; it actually feels pretty good. I decreased the volume of OH pressing slightly so that may have helped a bit. Rows were fine, increased slightly as usual. Dips are still progressing superbly as usual. I would like to get a belt soon, the dumbbells between my thighs are getting pretty big lol. Possibly the most solid overall workout I've had in a while. I also basically took a day off last week so that extra rest probably helped.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-07-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Heck yes son! Awesome stuff with the squats. Good to see that progress on that platform. That little extra emotion behind the workouts really helps doesn't it? Good stuff man, keep plugging away at things.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Damn dude, great squatting! You've inspired me with your thoughts, since I'm going for a heavy single Friday, I'm going to do 215 and attempt 10. I think you and I should do some little comps. against each other because our numbers are so close. I do that with other members too, it's fun to push yourself aim for certain numbers that way.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Like the strategy, the way you're going at it is great.

Geez...look at all the red PRs. Keep doin' what you're doin'
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    great job man. breathing squats ftw

def get a nice dip belt. holding the db with your legs is awkward and you cant get that forward lean as easily. APT has a big variety.

Heck yes son! Awesome stuff with the squats. Good to see that progress on that platform. That little extra emotion behind the workouts really helps doesn't it? Good stuff man, keep plugging away at things.
    Thanks dude. For sure! Just gotta remember to always have my iPod with me as that can help bring out the extra em0tionz XD

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Damn dude, great squatting! You've inspired me with your thoughts, since I'm going for a heavy single Friday, I'm going to do 215 and attempt 10. I think you and I should do some little comps. against each other because our numbers are so close. I do that with other members too, it's fun to push yourself aim for certain numbers that way.
    Haha sounds good man. I hate going high reps (I consider 10 high haha) because at that point the mental struggle/pain of lasting through the set is greater than the stress of loading up heavy for a 1-5 rep set

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Like the strategy, the way you're going at it is great.
    Thanks Coke, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Geez...look at all the red PRs. Keep doin' what you're doin'
    Haha thanks OR. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    great job man. breathing squats ftw

def get a nice dip belt. holding the db with your legs is awkward and you cant get that forward lean as easily. APT has a big variety.
    Thanks bro. Well, I kind of think the DB between the thighs is pretty comfortable. Allows me to bend my knees and then the weight of the DB gets supported by my calves pretty well. I'll definitely need to get a belt pretty soon though!
    Lifting Journal

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    brutal squats, a 6 rep pr is insane
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

6/9/10

Squat Deload, sort of
    9.5" Box Squats (tap on box, not pause)
    -hip warmup
    -bar x 20
    -95 x 8
    -135 x 5
    -165 x 3
    -185 x 10
    -185 x 8
    -185 x 6

Flat BB Bench
    -bar x 20
    -95 x 8
    -135 x 6
    -165 x 3
    -185 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -185 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -185 x 5 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

45 Decline Sit-ups
    -BW+15 x 9 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Chinups
    -BW+15 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+15 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+15 x 7 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Burpees (done between Chinup sets): x16 [+1r], x16 [+1r], x21 [+1r]
    One-legged Calf Raises: x10

Went for lighter/reps today with Squats. The benching is getting pretty heavy, but I haven't failed to get all my reps in since about 145 (increasing 5 lbs each workout) I believe, so I'll just keep going 'til I can't anymore! Situps can be pretty painful I've discovered XD Chins are good. My increase in weight and less focus on reps has been just what I needed to spark some growth there. Good workout.

Went to Chinatown today with my family. My mom's friend hooked us up with a lot of really good food haha. I ate a pretty nice-sized meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    brutal squats, a 6 rep pr is insane
    Thanks dude! It was very rest-paused though so perhaps the PR is exaggerated, but I was just glad to get the weight up one way or another haha.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Also, my weight two days ago, yesterday, and today has been: 159.0, 159.5, and 160.0 I have no idea why I dropped to 155 the other week, but I've been slowly gaining it back ever since. My strength didn't ever seem to take a toll though so I am still a bit confused, but whatever.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Why the deload on squats? Did you think you needed it?

Chinups and benching are looking solid. I love getting the 45s plus 25s on each side going. Feels like you're accomplishing something haha.

Well, yeah. My plan right now is Squat heavy Monday, Squat deload Wednesday, and Deadlift Friday. It just feels like if I give it my all on Monday, Wednesday's session will never be able to be that great no matter how hard I try, and it will also cause my Friday Deadlifts to be a bit weak if I push too hard on Wednesday.

Thanks bro. Yeah it was a nice little accomplishment today finally getting to 45's/25's today with my bench sets. Especially since my 1RM with bench was only 195 less than 2 months ago!
    Lifting Journal

I find that if I go crazy heavy on squats for two days a week, my deadlift is teh poopz. I have to really be careful to not go crazy before I deadlift.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Nice workout buddy. Good job with the bench too. That's an awesome improvement from your max two months ago.

I find that if I go crazy heavy on squats for two days a week, my deadlift is teh poopz. I have to really be careful to not go crazy before I deadlift.
    Yeah. Deadlifts require special care! =D

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713 View Post
    Nice workout buddy. Good job with the bench too. That's an awesome improvement from your max two months ago.
    Thanks man. Hopefully I'll be repping that max in a couple more weeks!
    Lifting Journal

Morning Weight: 161.5 (previous high was 160.0) =DDDDDDD
    Lifting Journal

Session is looking real nice man...see you crossed the 160 mark.

Banned
    nice dude, grats on breaking 160. you have a >2.5x bw pull, damn you lol

Banned
    fix were you just under or over maintenance while recomping?

Nice peak in the weight bro
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Awesome weigh in Fix. Good stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May