The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 427
  1. #276
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Session is looking real nice man...see you crossed the 160 mark.
    Thanks man. Yeah it feels good. Hopefully the 150's are behind for good XD

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice dude, grats on breaking 160. you have a >2.5x bw pull, damn you lol
    Thanks. Actually technically it's like 2.4x lol. Once I pull 405 though it'll be >2.5!!

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    fix were you just under or over maintenance while recomping?
    Well, I started out under maintenance for 6-8 weeks, then kind of increased to just at maintenance for another month or so, then brought it just above maintenance for a few weeks, and for the past little while what I've been doing is: eating above maintenance and high carbs (400g) on my lifting days (M-W-F), and eating basically at maintenance and low/normal amount of carbs (100-150g) on my off/cardio days. Fats are higher that day. It's been working well for me. I never increased or decreased overall caloric intake too dramatically though, always waiting to see my body's response. It seems like it wouldn't really matter if you're just above or under maintenace so long as the overall timing and precision of diet is in order

    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Nice peak in the weight bro
    Thanks Rory. I'm just about to PM you by the way

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Awesome weigh in Fix. Good stuff.
    Thank you Mark. I've been enjoying a lot of Chinese breads/foods lately lol. Probably isn't the best for putting on lean mass but at least I am gaining weight
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-11-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  2. #277
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I've been enjoying a lot of Chinese breads/foods lately lol. Probably isn't the best for putting on lean mass but at least I am gaining weight
    I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but watch out with the crappy food man. Too often I think WBB puts weight gain above everything, even if it means gaining mostly fat. You look great now, no rush. Although I'm sure you know that.

  3. #278
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    6/11/10

    Deadlifts (reset each rep)
    -hip warmup
    -bar x 20
    -95 x 8
    -135 x 5
    -185 x 4
    -225 x 3
    -275 x 2
    -315 x 3
    -335 x 3
    -365 x lolwut/fail? The bar felt so damn heavy for some reason, didn't even break it from the floor. Contemplated just doing another triple at 335 but said **** it and tried again lol.
    -365 x 4 [+10 lbs, +1 rep]

    Standing one-arm DB Press
    -lots of (external) cuff warming up
    -45's x 8 [+2 reps]
    -45's x 8 [+1 reps]

    Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8
    -90 x 5
    -127.5 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -127.5 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -127.5 x 10 [+2.5 lbs, +3 reps]

    Leg Lifts and Tuck Jumps SS'd with Dips
    Dips
    -BW+50 x 9 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW+50 x 7.8333 [+5 lbs, -1 rep] could not for the life of me lock out rep 8

    Other (not as important) stuff
    Leg Lifts: x13, x13 [+1r]
    Tuck Jumps: x50, x70 [+10r]
    DB Curls: 35's x 8 [+1 rep]
    HS Leg Extensions: 60 (each leg) x 15 [+20 lbs?]

    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but watch out with the crappy food man. Too often I think WBB puts weight gain above everything, even if it means gaining mostly fat. You look great now, no rush. Although I'm sure you know that.
    Lol yeah, I know what you mean. It just tastes so good though haha. It's definitely not an every day thing, we just happened to go to Chinatown and we bought a good amount to take home and I just wanted to enjoy XD I think by next week I'll be back to cleaner foods though.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-11-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  4. #279
    WBB Team Captain Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacob's ladder
    Posts
    35,261
    Great follow through to get the 365 deads, that's huge!!

  5. #280
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    6/11/10

    Deadlifts (reset each rep)
    -hip warmup
    -bar x 20
    -95 x 8
    -135 x 5
    -185 x 4
    -225 x 3
    -275 x 2
    -315 x 3
    -335 x 3
    -365 x lolwut/fail? The bar felt so damn heavy for some reason, didn't even break it from the floor. Contemplated just doing another triple at 335 but said **** it and tried again lol.
    -365 x 4 [+10 lbs, +1 rep]

    Standing one-arm DB Press
    -lots of (external) cuff warming up
    -45's x 8 [+2 reps]
    -45's x 8 [+1 reps]

    Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8
    -90 x 5
    -127.5 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -127.5 x 7 [+2.5 lbs]
    -127.5 x 10 [+2.5 lbs, +3 reps]

    Leg Lifts and Tuck Jumps SS'd with Dips
    Dips
    -BW+50 x 9 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW+50 x 7.8333 [+5 lbs, -1 rep] could not for the life of me lock out rep 8

    Other (not as important) stuff
    Leg Lifts: x13, x13 [+1r]
    Tuck Jumps: x50, x70 [+10r]
    DB Curls: 35's x 8 [+1 rep]
    HS Leg Extensions: 60 (each leg) x 15 [+20 lbs?]



    Lol yeah, I know what you mean. It just tastes so good though haha. It's definitely not an every day thing, we just happened to go to Chinatown and we bought a good amount to take home and I just wanted to enjoy XD I think by next week I'll be back to cleaner foods though.
    Nothing wrong with indulging dude. I'm just so damn OCD about food now haha. Gotta spread it around...

  6. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    nice lifting man. thanks for the info re your recomp.

  7. #282
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Awesome deads brother, way to attack it. I love your **** you I'm lifting you attitude. Awesome stuff.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  8. #283
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Interesting how you didn't budge 365 off the floor, then do it for 4, lol. Good to see you're improving, though! Good work, dude.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  9. #284
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    Dears are nasty
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  10. #285
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Dears are nasty
    Yes, yes they are...

    and yes I know "dear" is spelled "deer."
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 06-12-2010 at 05:54 PM.

  11. #286
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,320
    deads*
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  12. #287
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    deads*
    Haha, had to do it man.

  13. #288
    powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    489
    nice deads, big PR
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

  14. #289
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Great follow through to get the 365 deads, that's huge!!
    Thanks dude. Sometimes when I chance it like that I am regretful, but this time it worked out

    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Nothing wrong with indulging dude. I'm just so damn OCD about food now haha. Gotta spread it around...
    Haha yeah. Know the feeling. Appreciate you keeping me on track

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice lifting man. thanks for the info re your recomp.
    Thanks! No prob. Hope your dieting goes well

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Awesome deads brother, way to attack it. I love your **** you I'm lifting you attitude. Awesome stuff.
    Haha thanks. Yeah, that attitude really only comes out with Deads. With Benching/Pressing/Rowing, it's just meh to me since it isn't nearly as much of a full-body exercise, and with Squats I'm always just dead scared out of my pants lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Interesting how you didn't budge 365 off the floor, then do it for 4, lol. Good to see you're improving, though! Good work, dude.
    Thanks Keith. Yeah, I think I just didn't realize how much the 335 triple already worked my core so I was a bit surprised at how heavy 365 felt XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Dears are nasty
    Thanks bro. And thanks for the dieting help PM

    Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    nice deads, big PR
    Thanks man, you've been supportive lately!
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  15. #290
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Quick Note: So I didn't do my tabata cardio training today. Right when I was about to do it, a friend messaged me and asked if I wanted to go to Universal City Walk in 20 minutes. I just said F the cardio and went lol.

    Also, had a burger and a bunch of desserts/snacks. I don't really regret it though that much to be honest. When this has happened in the past I usually felt so terrible that night going to bed, but this time... I dunno, it's not like I'm less dedicated to bodybuilding now, but I just want to enjoy myself once in a while. It doesn't happen too often, and I've been in a kind of depressed mood lately, so I think I needed something here. Eh whatever. Onward!

    also, morning weight: 161.0
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-13-2010 at 04:34 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  16. #291
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Hell man, we ALL have those days where we just say fluck it, I wanna be normal today. It's all part of the game. Just don't let it get out of hand, ha. You've made great progress, and been steady with work outs, you deserve a little break now and then. I love those street fest type gigs too. We have an Irish festival that's like that, music, beer, food, kilts (yeah, I'm getting one for next year bitches) and good times.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  17. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    fix, you have worked very hard -- enjoy time to yourself.. just dont go crazy and blow your hard work imo. its not the end of the world when you have some diet imperfection for one day. just remember what you want out of your training and the path that needs to be traveled to make it happen.

  18. #293
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Hell man, we ALL have those days where we just say fluck it, I wanna be normal today. It's all part of the game. Just don't let it get out of hand, ha. You've made great progress, and been steady with work outs, you deserve a little break now and then. I love those street fest type gigs too. We have an Irish festival that's like that, music, beer, food, kilts (yeah, I'm getting one for next year bitches) and good times.
    Yeah true. Thanks bro. I'm not man enough to do the kilt thing lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    fix, you have worked very hard -- enjoy time to yourself.. just dont go crazy and blow your hard work imo. its not the end of the world when you have some diet imperfection for one day. just remember what you want out of your training and the path that needs to be traveled to make it happen.
    Yeah. Sometimes the hardest part is having that perfect balance. It's like my diet is either perfect or slips up big. The ability to stop mid-binge is many times out of my grasp haha. It seems like the dieting trials we come across teach us a lot about life
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-13-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  19. #294
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Feelin' kinda depressed right now. Met this really cute girl today, we talked, did this and that, blah blah blah, exchanged numbers, told her I'd call her @ 7 to hangout. She leaves town tomorrow forever so I'll never see her again (this situation seems all too familiar!). Everything seemed fine when we were interacting, but she flaked and never answered/called back. Im gonna go watch some Initial D
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  20. #295
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Feelin' kinda depressed right now. Met this really cute girl today, we talked, did this and that, blah blah blah, exchanged numbers, told her I'd call her @ 7 to hangout. She leaves town tomorrow forever so I'll never see her again (this situation seems all too familiar!). Everything seemed fine when we were interacting, but she flaked and never answered/called back. Im gonna go watch some hardcore porn!
    fixed...

  21. #296
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Quick Note: So I didn't do my tabata cardio training today. Right when I was about to do it, a friend messaged me and asked if I wanted to go to Universal City Walk in 20 minutes. I just said F the cardio and went lol.

    Also, had a burger and a bunch of desserts/snacks. I don't really regret it though that much to be honest. When this has happened in the past I usually felt so terrible that night going to bed, but this time... I dunno, it's not like I'm less dedicated to bodybuilding now, but I just want to enjoy myself once in a while. It doesn't happen too often, and I've been in a kind of depressed mood lately, so I think I needed something here. Eh whatever. Onward!

    also, morning weight: 161.0




    Just ****in with you Fix. It's okay to be normal, and I doubt your abs are gonna wash off just because you eat a burger and some dessert. But don't let this ***** happen again!

  22. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    pfft dr phil haha. dont get discouraged... i get shot down probably 75% of the time. but i have absurdly high standards also.. either way, dont get discouraged. confidence and a smile is what will make or break you... having a really pretty dog helps too. i have a stunning purebred labrador.. he melts the women's hearts, even if random women are disgusted with me, they cant help but stop to play with him

  23. #298
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    Dogs are great for that. I got shot down for relationships, like actual relationships all the time, until I met my wife, then it was like...I'm done, she's all I'll ever need in this life. Keep your head up son, you're young, dedicated, it'll work. You're in Cali bro...gotta be all kinds of tail chasin after you.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  24. #299
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    pfft dr phil haha. dont get discouraged... i get shot down probably 75% of the time. but i have absurdly high standards also.. either way, dont get discouraged. confidence and a smile is what will make or break you... having a really pretty dog helps too. i have a stunning purebred labrador.. he melts the women's hearts, even if random women are disgusted with me, they cant help but stop to play with him
    FYI, F thinks these girls are hideous....



    Seriously though, F, I mean people call me picky, but damn it sounds like you're taking it to another level haha. Famous actress/model/celebrity you'd most like to bang?

  25. #300
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    C'mon fix...you gotta quit bein so damn picky broseph.

    Now you know my wife reads my log to check up on me, and she'd probably stumble across this if I posted a response, so I won't, suckers. (either in the pic light blu) hush.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

Similar Threads

  1. Odds and Ends
    By ZenMonkey in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
  2. Heroes
    By Beast in forum General Chat
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
  3. What are the odds?
    By Roddy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
  4. Chins-hows the best way to do 'em?
    By the doc in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-07-2002, 08:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •