The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post

Just ****in with you Fix. It's okay to be normal, and I doubt your abs are gonna wash off just because you eat a burger and some dessert. But don't let this ***** happen again!
    Yeah bro. True that. Except I ate half a brownie today. Lol. So damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    pfft dr phil haha. dont get discouraged... i get shot down probably 75% of the time. but i have absurdly high standards also.. either way, dont get discouraged. confidence and a smile is what will make or break you... having a really pretty dog helps too. i have a stunning purebred labrador.. he melts the women's hearts, even if random women are disgusted with me, they cant help but stop to play with him
    Yeah. I know what you mean. I have pretty specific standards. Most girls who guys will say are so hot I would say are meh because of maybe just one thing about her that bothers me lol. I mean, at the end of the day, I'm either attracted to a girl or I'm not, but they usually have to fall into a pretty narrow category. Whether or not one would call that a "high" standard, I dunno, but perhaps is more of my subjective ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Dogs are great for that. I got shot down for relationships, like actual relationships all the time, until I met my wife, then it was like...I'm done, she's all I'll ever need in this life. Keep your head up son, you're young, dedicated, it'll work. You're in Cali bro...gotta be all kinds of tail chasin after you.
    Thanks bro. Eh... I think part of the problem is I don't really like the whole Cali girl thing that much to be honest. Overrated IMO. It's not really my target area haha.

C'mon fix...you gotta quit bein so damn picky broseph.

Now you know my wife reads my log to check up on me, and she'd probably stumble across this if I posted a response, so I won't, suckers. (either in the pic light blu) hush.
    Lol. Well, even though I am rather picky myself, chev was regarding f=ma not me XD
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

The heck. 5 hours of sleep, I can't read. My bad. Well, he needs to quit being picky, I remember him talking about that. It's good to be picky, just not obsessively over picky.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Perhaps. Quality over quantity though!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-14-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

9.5"-Depth Olympic Squats
    -45 x 20
    -95 x 10
    -135 x 5
    -155 x 1
    -185 x 2
    -220 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -220 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -220 x 8 [+5 lbs, -2 reps]

Flat BB Bench Press
    -45 x 20
    -95 x 7
    -135 x 5
    -155 x 3
    -190 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -190 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -190 x 5 (+1 assisted rep) [+5 lbs]

Decline Situps
    -BW+20 x 8 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Burpees SS'd with Chins
    Chinups
    -BW+20 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+20 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+20 x 7 [+5 lbs]
    -BW x slow negative (15-20 seconds)

Other not as important stuff
    -Burpees: x17 [+1r], x17 [+1r], x22 [+1r]
    -One-legged standing Calf Raises: BW x 12 [+2r]

Conclusion: Virtually perfect workout Didn't even expect to be able get the 220x8 with squats (let alone the first two work sets at 220), but decided to go for it after the fifth rep. 2 plates next week Everything else is making gains real solid and well. I'm most ecstatic about the Chinups. They've never been this strong and progressing as they are right now. I will never focus on high-rep chins again XD In fact I still think they're too high.

Anyway, time to carb. Peace guise.

P.S. Morning weigh-in: 159.0 (back down from 161-ish) I'm not worried about it though because all my lifts are still up anyway. I just don't really believe that I have gone backwards in any way at all, because I am still eating in a manner that is allowing my body to recomp (so far as I know and have experienced thus far), so as long as in the long run my weight has gone up even a bit and my strength is up a good amount, that is the important thing. I expect I'll be back up over 160 within the next couple of weigh-ins anyway. So many factors here.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-14-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Virtually perfect workout
    No joke, excellent day of training man.

House Lannister
    Wow squats are looking great! Bench too! 200# for reps is right around the corner man!

...but i'm heavier than you...

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    No joke, excellent day of training man.
    Thank you sir!

Wow squats are looking great! Bench too! 200# for reps is right around the corner man!

...but i'm heavier than you...
    Thanks bro. Next benching workout will be a big one as 195 used to be my 1RM about 6 weeks ago!

...but I'm 4 inches shorter than you... but yeah yeah, weight is weight. You're right
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-14-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Thank you sir!

Thanks bro. Next benching workout will be a big one as 195 used to be my 1RM about 6 weeks ago!

...but I'm 4 inches shorter than you... but yeah yeah, weight is weight. You're right
    Haha, touche.

It's prolly more like 4 and 3/4 inches. I'm just barely, if not at right now, six foot.

Eh, well maybe not. I think I'm actually just about 5'7.5"-ish, but I just round down cuz I don't give a **** lol. Most people round up, but I wanted to be a c-c-c-combo breaker and round down XD
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-14-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Eh, well maybe not. I think I'm actually just about 5'7.5"-ish, but I just round down cuz I don't give a **** lol. Most people round up, but I wanted to be a c-c-c-combo breaker and round down XD
    lol wut?

Banned
    great workout man. i like the volume and selection, verynice

Definitely good stuff here. Benching looks mighty fine too.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

lol wut?

great workout man. i like the volume and selection, verynice
    Thanks man! I really like it too, it's probably the best routine I've ever been version of a full-body routine I've ever personally used.

Definitely good stuff here. Benching looks mighty fine too.
    Appreciate it Mark. Yeah, my Benching is usually pewp, but lately it has been going up very consistently. The weighted dips I think are making the biggest difference there
    Lifting Journal

6/16/10

9.5"-Depth Olympic Squats (light day today)
    -hip warmup
    -bar x 15
    -95 x 10
    -135 x 6
    -155 x 5
    -175 x 5
    -175 x 5
    -175 x 5

Standing One-armed DB Press
    -cuff warmup
    -50's x 6 [+5 lbs, -2 reps]
    -50's x 7 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8
    -90 x 7
    -130 x 8 [+2.5 lbs, +1 rep]
    -130 x 10 [+2.5 lbs]

Leg Lifts/Tuck Jumps SS'd after Dips
    Dips
    -BW+55 x 9 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+55 x 7.5 [+5 lbs]

The extra stuff
    DB Curls: 40's x 4
    Lying Leg Lifts: x15 [+2 reps], x15 [+2 reps] <-- gonna start weighting these
    Tuck Jumps: x70 [+20 reps], x80 [+10 reps] <-- was able to really pump these out today, explained below

Conclusion: Dips and Benching (and OH Pressing) are still by far my most consistently gaining exercises right now. Weird eh? Usually it's my Deads and Squats that are the most consistent, but I think I've reached a point with those where it's so heavy for me that the gains have slowed haha. I expect Dip/Bench gains to keep going for yet a while longer though. I never even have any doubt that I'll be able to complete my reps every time they come up lol.

Took it easy on the Squats today. Definitely was a good decision. Gonna do heavy Deads on Friday.

Today was my first time taking Jack3d. I noticed a difference in my strength and repping power. With Beta-Alanine alone (which is what I've been taking for the past 3-4 weeks or so), the only different I noticed was with my jumps/burpees and really high rep stuff, but with Jack3d (I took 2 scoops before workout) I noticed the weight on all my lifts felt a bit lighter and I was able to pump out a bit more than expected, with Squats Presses and Rows, and especially my ab work and jumping conditioning. The more reps there are in my set, the more noticeable the impact is I think. I also noticed I could have a bit less rest time between my sets and still get up the weight, which is kinda cool.

Anyway, a very good workout today. Took my older brother with me, who has a bigger more muscular upper body than me (other than my traps), but my legs are bigger and I am a bit leaner overall. I taught him how to Squat. Surprisingly his form was pretty damn good for his first time Squatting. I already feel like his form is better than 99% of people's who squat in the gym. He hit solid parallel depth (maybe even slightly below) and kept a pretty tight core too. He does P90X and has a pretty solid upper body build but I'm trying to help open up his potential even more by having him learn to Squat.

Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    6/16/10

9.5"-Depth Olympic Squats (light day today)
    -hip warmup
    -bar x 15
    -95 x 10
    -135 x 6
    -155 x 5
    -175 x 5
    -175 x 5
    -175 x 5

Standing One-armed DB Press
    -cuff warmup
    -50's x 6 [+5 lbs, -2 reps]
    -50's x 7 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8
    -90 x 7
    -130 x 10 [+2.5 lbs]

Leg Lifts/Tuck Jumps SS'd after Dips
    Dips
    -BW+55 x 9 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+55 x 7.5 [+5 lbs]

The extra stuff
    DB Curls: 40's x 4
    Lying Leg Lifts: x15 [+2 reps], x15 [+2 reps] <-- gonna start weighting these
    Tuck Jumps: x70 [+20 reps], x80 [+10 reps] <-- was able to really pump these out today, explained below

Conclusion: Dips and Benching (and OH Pressing) are still by far my most consistently gaining exercises right now. Weird eh? Usually it's my Deads and Squats that are the most consistent, but I think I've reached a point with those where it's so heavy for me that the gains have slowed haha. I expect Dip/Bench gains to keep going for yet a while longer though. I never even have any doubt that I'll be able to complete my reps every time they come up lol.

Took it easy on the Squats today. Definitely was a good decision. Gonna do heavy Deads on Friday.

Today was my first time taking Jack3d. I noticed a difference in my strength and repping power. With Beta-Alanine alone (which is what I've been taking for the past 3-4 weeks or so), the only different I noticed was with my jumps/burpees and really high rep stuff, but with Jack3d (I took 2 scoops before workout) I noticed the weight on all my lifts felt a bit lighter and I was able to pump out a bit more than expected, with Squats Presses and Rows, and especially my ab work and jumping conditioning. The more reps there are in my set, the more noticeable the impact is I think. I also noticed I could have a bit less rest time between my sets and still get up the weight, which is kinda cool.

Anyway, a very good workout today. Took my older brother with me, who has a bigger more muscular upper body than me (other than my traps), but my legs are bigger and I am a bit leaner overall. I taught him how to Squat. Surprisingly his form was pretty damn good for his first time Squatting. I already feel like his form is better than 99% of people's who squat in the gym. He hit solid parallel depth (maybe even slightly below) and kept a pretty tight core too. He does P90X and has a pretty solid upper body build but I'm trying to help open up his potential even more by having him learn to Squat.

Nice lifts. Nice job on getting the brother in there too and off of BRO90X. How much body english, if any, do you have in that one-armed press?

What's up with you and the supplements lately (no hate)? You just been testing out different stuff? I was a little interested in Jack3d just to see what it'd do. Wanna be a good e-friend and buy some RESULTS and run them head to head?

Be careful with all those supps...don't want you to get hooked and end up like this guy....

Edit: No racial overtone intended with the above demotivational poster.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 06-16-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Having your brother work in with you that way is great, hope you guys can do that more often.

Damn good workout Fix.

Nice lifts. Nice job on getting the brother in there too and off of BRO90X. How much body english, if any, do you have in that one-armed press?

What's up with you and the supplements lately (no hate)? You just been testing out different stuff? I was a little interested in Jack3d just to see what it'd do. Wanna be a good e-friend and buy some RESULTS and run them head to head?

Be careful with all those supps...don't want you to get hooked and end up like this guy....

Edit: No racial overtone intended with the above demotivational poster.
    Yeah man, I can tell P90X is good for just overall weight loss if that's all you want, but as far as muscle preservation, lack of lifting heavy = fail. And I know he wants his muscle!

Well, I start with my back a bit leaned back (nothing extreme though), and due to the nature of the one-armed movement my body is a bit leaned to the side.

Hm... where can I find Results? If it's not too expensive I'll probably try it. I was thinking of trying Reps. My brother just recently got Jack3d and that's why I was able to try it out lol. Btw it tastes horrible

I just wanted to see if they make a noticeable difference. If so, I don't see why not use them in moderation/cycles. If not, then at least I tried. I mean in the end though I'm still satisfied with just proper diet and rest getting me through everything, since that is obviously the best "supplement" you can give yourself XD

Having your brother work in with you that way is great, hope you guys can do that more often.

Damn good workout Fix.
    Thanks man. Yeah me too. I really want him to keep up the Squatting and start lifting heavy. I suppose he can keep P90X-ing if he really wants, but as long as he Squats at some point each week I'd be pretty happy lol.

Here's a PWO pic from the other day just for fun:

Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    RESULTS is an ALN product..it's not cheap. :/

Banned
    looking solid fix.

jack3d is actually on sale at bulk nutrition.... ive gotten 2 emails about it. if you want to give it a go.. might be a good time to try..

results is basically BA and dextrose, chev

looking solid fix.
    No joke, the hard work is paying off.

RESULTS is an ALN product..it's not cheap. :/

looking solid fix.

jack3d is actually on sale at bulk nutrition.... ive gotten 2 emails about it. if you want to give it a go.. might be a good time to try..

results is basically BA and dextrose, chev
    Thanks bro. Upon looking at BN's site, it seems like Jack3d is still the same price if not cheaper on Amazon. Hm... depends what BN charges for shipping though.

No joke, the hard work is paying off.
    Thanks Coke!
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    BN prices actually kind of suck on a lot of items... their ON whey is the same price as vitamin shop retail stores... kind pathetic given that theyre supposed to be a internet bulk dealer. i buy 10lb jugs of dextrose through them and occasionally BA, though i prob wont pick up anymore after the current supply is finitio

its funny your OH press is progressing the best... in summer of like 04, my db shoulder press almost overtook my db bench. it was weird.. but then that fall, bench exploded

^ Yeah that is weird about BN. Huh... well I'll have to keep checking up on them to see if any other deals roll around.

Yeah, it seems sometimes our body works strangely that way and certain lifts will take turns having spikes of growth. I've definitely realized the unlinear-ness of it all this time around.

6/18/10

Deadlifts
    -hip warmup
    -95 x 5-ish
    -135 x 10
    -185 x 5
    -225 x 3
    -275 x 3
    -315 x 3
    -335 x 3
    -375 x 5 [+10 lbs, +1 rep]

Flat BB Bench
    -cuff warmup
    -bar x 15
    -95 x 12
    -135 x 10
    -165 x 5
    -195 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -195 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -195 x 4 [+5 lbs, -1 rep] +2 assisted reps

Decline Situps
    -BW+25 x 7 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

Chinups
    -BW+25 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+25 x 6 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+25 x 6 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

SS'd with Chinups
    Burpees: x18 [+1 rep], x18 [+1 rep], x23 [+1 rep]

Thoughts: Deadlifts I was planning on attempting a 405 1RM next week if I got 3-4 reps with 375, but after getting 5, do you think I could/should go for 415? The last 1RM I successfully pulled was 390 about a month ago. So, 25 lb. increase in 1RM, although I've clearly gotten stronger through working with triples. My legs have really always had it in me, it's just my core that has been struggling so hard. I think it's the weighted situps I've added in recently that are helping me here.

Anyway, this was a great workout. Had my brother Squat again and also instructed him to do some Deadlifts. He worked up to 225 and did some doubles with both conventional and sumo. I was pretty impressed for this being his first time doing them.

So, should I go for 415 next week or just be safe and pull 405 (maybe even get a double out of it)? According to a one-rep-max calculator I've got 422 in me. Lol, who knows how accurate that thing is though. The reason I am tending to believe it is because my repping power with Deads seems a bit low, with 1RM work being more natural for me IMO.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Lifting Journal

The 4pps alone would be a PR on deads, I would go for that without overreaching or maybe even the 385 x 5, something like that. Damn good session dude.

House Lannister
    Deadlifts are getting crazy Fix. I'd personally err on the side of caution with 1rm attempts. I, at least, find it hard to let a 1rm weight go if I've put my mind to it even if my form is breaking down. I'd do the 405 at first.