The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Looking nothing short of major man.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Morning Weight: 165 lbs (goal reached... now to 170!)

HS Leg Press (at deepest setting)
    -90 x 10
    -180 x 5
    -270 x 5
    -320 x 5
    -360 x 5
    -410 x 5
    -450 x 5
    -500 x 5
    -500 x 5
    -500 x 5

^ About 3pps more than what I was first doing when I started lifting again. I might keep these around for a bit.

Flat BB Bench
    cuff stuff, 45 x 20, 95 x 8, 135 x 4, 175 x 3
    -200 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -200 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -200 x 4

Decline Situps (steepest decline, weight behind head)
    -BW+30 x 3
    -BW+25 x 8 [+1 rep]
    -BW+25 x 8 [+1 rep]

Chinups
    -BW+35 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+30 x 5
    -BW+25 x 6
    -BW+45 x slow negative

SS'd with Chinups: Burpees: x15, x15, x15

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Excellent daeds Fix.
    Thank you OR

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Getting strong all over man. With you power to control body composition and obvious work ethic to progress regularly I foresee a huge deal of potential in you.
    Thanks Rory that means a lot. You're definitely a big inspiration to me

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Looking nothing short of major man.
    Thanks Coke
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Would be nice if we had the Hammer Strength Leg Press at our gym, good job on that machine and overall.

House Lannister
    Damn you with that weight.

No squatting today? Why not?

Congrats on 200x5 bench and the chinups. Everything's lookin' real good.

Oh and post that dead video up damnit!

Would be nice if we had the Hammer Strength Leg Press at our gym, good job on that machine and overall.
    Haha yeah, it seems pretty cool. Thanks Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Damn you with that weight.

No squatting today? Why not?

Congrats on 200x5 bench and the chinups. Everything's lookin' real good.

Oh and post that dead video up damnit!
    Hehe.

Well, I want some kind of lower back rest between my Squats and Deads each week. I figured I'd give Leg Press a try, but it REALLY fried my hamstrings/glutes with how deep I went haha, so my Deads still ended up suffering.

Thanks man. I will upload it now.

7/3/10

Morning Weight: has been fluctuating 164.5 -> 165.5

Deadlifts
    -hip warmup, bar x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 4, 225 x 3, 275 x 2
    -315 x 3
    -345 x 3
    -385 x 2

My hammies were rocked from the deep Leg Presses, so I had to rely on starting the pull a bit higher and relying on core strength, which is not my greatest thing haha.

Standing one-arm DB Press
    -cuff warmup
    -55's x 6 [+1 rep]
    -55's x 4

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 8, 90 x 4
    -142.5 x 7 [+5 lbs]
    -142.5 x 7 [+5 lbs]
    -142.5 x 7 [+5 lbs]

Leg Lifts/Tuck Jumps SS'd w/ Dips
    Dips
    -BW+70 x 7 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+70 x 6 [+5 lbs]

DB Hammer Curls: 40's x 5 [+1r]
    Leg Lifts: x15, x15
    Tuck Jumps: x50, x90 [+5r]
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-05-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

For my Deadlift video... go here: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...60#post2355360
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    grats on the bw goal. i hope to be up there with you on the lifting strength soon. your lifting is looking very strong

Fine lifts, including the deads dude.

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    nice deadlift pr def locked it out
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Strong looking deadlift Fix. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    grats on the bw goal. i hope to be up there with you on the lifting strength soon. your lifting is looking very strong
    Thanks man, you are a big inspiration to me.

Fine lifts, including the deads dude.
    Appreciated Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    nice deadlift pr def locked it out
    Haha sweet, I really was wondering if I had locked it out XD

Strong looking deadlift Fix. Nice job.
    Thanks man.

6/6/10

Morning Weight: 166.0 [+1 lb]

9.5"-Depth Oly Squats
    -hip warmup, 45 x 15, 95 x 8, 135 x 5, 185 x 3
    -235 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -235 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -235 x 6

Flat BB Bench Press
    -cuff warmup, 45 x 20, 95 x 8, 135 x 6, 175 x 4
    -200 x 4
    -195 x 5
    -190 x 6

Decline Weighted Situps (plate behind head)
    -BW+25 x 9 [+1 rep]
    -BW+25 x 9 [+1 rep]
    -BW+25 x 9 [+1 rep]

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 10, 90 x 5
    -145 x 5
    -145 x 5
    -145 x 5

SS'd after Rows: Burpees: x15, x15, x15

Face Pulls: 50 lbs x 20
    DB Hammer Curls: 40's x 5

Despite my weight gain still moving along and having started creatine last week (I know it takes 2-3 weeks to kick in though), my overall gains seem to be slowing. I'm gonna deload next week (or just take the week off if I don't have access to a gym) since I'm going on vacation to Florida to visit some family so it'll be a fitting time for rest.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-07-2010 at 03:56 AM.
    Lifting Journal

Good session Fix. Enjoy the deload and come back refreshed.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I don't know why I've been neglecting to come into this journal, but from the looks of things you've been doing a good job.

Hitting your BW goal is a job well done. I definitely like the 385 on the Deads. Deads are always a great exercise, keep those in your routine.

I've never done the HS Leg Press before. There's one at school where you're just seated and push the two foot platforms away from your body. Does that sound similar to what you have available?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Time for you to take a break, rest up and come back even harder for the next go 'round.

Banned
    are you actually stalling or are you just not progressing as you expected? either way enjoy the break (if possible hah). where in FL?

Good session Fix. Enjoy the deload and come back refreshed.
    Thanks man. I sure hope that's what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I don't know why I've been neglecting to come into this journal, but from the looks of things you've been doing a good job.

Hitting your BW goal is a job well done. I definitely like the 385 on the Deads. Deads are always a great exercise, keep those in your routine.

I've never done the HS Leg Press before. There's one at school where you're just seated and push the two foot platforms away from your body. Does that sound similar to what you have available?
    Thanks man. It feels nice to be at 165. Hitting 170 would be amazing lol. I even remember being nearly 145 not too long ago right after my jaw surgery when I wasn't able to eat much at all lol.

Yeah, Deads are definitely a keeper. After getting my inguinal hernia years ago, I could've chosen to do some upper body lifting and take it easy with the lower body but I just lost motivation altogether because when I'm not Deadlifting I'm not happy lol

Here's the machine I use for the Leg Presses:

Except it's not red like that lol.

Time for you to take a break, rest up and come back even harder for the next go 'round.
    Yeah man that is the plan. I just hope it works

are you actually stalling or are you just not progressing as you expected? either way enjoy the break (if possible hah). where in FL?
    Well, some lifts have been stalled for a bit now (bench, overhead press, situps) and others are still pushing along, somewhat slowly though. I'm also sort of just feeling extra sore lately, but I think that may be partly due to me staying up so late at night which negatively affects my diet and rest. Either way though these habits have been here all throughout my gains though, so it's not like anything there has really changed a whole lot.

Yeah I'll probably be thinking about deteriorating muscle while I'm away lol. I'll be in Daytona Beach

7/8/10
    HS Leg Press
    -2pps x 10, 3pps x 5, 4pps x 5
    -505 x 5 [+5 lbs]

-cuff warmup
    -55's x 5
    -55's x 5

Chinups
    -BW x 5
    -BW+20 x 5
    -BW+40 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+35 x 5
    -BW+25 x 7

Dips
    -BW+75 x 6 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW+75 x 5 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

^SS: Leg Lifts: x15, x15
    ^SS: Burpees: x15, x15
    Face Pulls: 60 lbs x 10
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Thanks man. I sure hope that's what happens

Thanks man. It feels nice to be at 165. Hitting 170 would be amazing lol. I even remember being nearly 145 not too long ago right after my jaw surgery when I wasn't able to eat much at all lol.

Yeah, Deads are definitely a keeper. After getting my inguinal hernia years ago, I could've chosen to do some upper body lifting and take it easy with the lower body but I just lost motivation altogether because when I'm not Deadlifting I'm not happy lol

Here's the machine I use for the Leg Presses:

Except it's not red like that lol.

Yeah man that is the plan. I just hope it works

Well, some lifts have been stalled for a bit now (bench, overhead press, situps) and others are still pushing along, somewhat slowly though. I'm also sort of just feeling extra sore lately, but I think that may be partly due to me staying up so late at night which negatively affects my diet and rest. Either way though these habits have been here all throughout my gains though, so it's not like anything there has really changed a whole lot.

Yeah I'll probably be thinking about deteriorating muscle while I'm away lol. I'll be in Daytona Beach

7/8/10
    HS Leg Press
    -2pps x 10, 3pps x 5, 4pps x 5
    -505 x 5 [+5 lbs]

-cuff warmup
    -55's x 5
    -55's x 5

Chinups
    -BW x 5
    -BW+20 x 5
    -BW+40 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+35 x 5
    -BW+25 x 7

Dips
    -BW+75 x 6 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW+75 x 5 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]

^SS: Leg Lifts: x15, x15
    ^SS: Burpees: x15, x15
    Face Pulls: 60 lbs x 10
    Good stuff. I know you know what you're doing, but I'd maybe look at DB lunges as an alternative to the leg press. IMO lunges are a kickarse movement for the glutes and hams especially as well as the quads. They are one of Tom M's favorite exercises for quad development fyi. Just a thought.

I REALLY like the looks of that leg press machine, looks really nice. Do they have a hack squat machine also? I'm thinking of trying out a hack squat machine at my gym for kicks sometime soon.

I wouldn't be too worried about the bench stalling, you've made serious progress on that one for a while now. Maybe concentrate on trying to get more reps for the same weight for a bit to see if that helps with your plateau?

You'll have a blast at Daytona Beach. I went there with a buddy of mine and we had a blast 4-5 years ago. Great, great trip.

Hm... well, one of the reasons I'm going Leg Press is because of reading in a fairly recent WBB article about "Deadlifting 5 plates like a champ" or whatever, it was noted that Leg Press is excellent for building starting strength off the floor, so I sort of went into it with that mentality. Although the DB Lunges are sounding pretty badass, I may have to try that. And then I still don't know if I should just be squatting light (~75% of my Monday working weight) rather than looking for an alternate exercise lol.

To be honest I'm not really sure if they have a hack squat machine haha. My eyes seem to stray from most machines XD I know they have the assisted barbell thing that people sort of lean back into and "hack" their squats with lol, but I know that's not the same thing.

Thanks, it definitely feels good to be up at 200, I wonder what my 1RM is. Is it even worth going for a 1RM session? I never seem to even care and would rather just get a solid repping session lol. I'll try upping the reps a bit when I reset my bench weight a bit and go at it with that mentality, thanks for the tip.

Awesome haha. Can't wait. I don't think I've ever actually been to FL. Maybe once actually when I was younger.. Can't remember.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Hm... well, one of the reasons I'm going Leg Press is because of reading in a fairly recent WBB article about "Deadlifting 5 plates like a champ" or whatever, it was noted that Leg Press is excellent for building starting strength off the floor, so I sort of went into it with that mentality. Although the DB Lunges are sounding pretty badass, I may have to try that. And then I still don't know if I should just be squatting light (~75% of my Monday working weight) rather than looking for an alternate exercise lol.

To be honest I'm not really sure if they have a hack squat machine haha. My eyes seem to stray from most machines XD I know they have the assisted barbell thing that people sort of lean back into and "hack" their squats with lol, but I know that's not the same thing.

Thanks, it definitely feels good to be up at 200, I wonder what my 1RM is. Is it even worth going for a 1RM session? I never seem to even care and would rather just get a solid repping session lol. I'll try upping the reps a bit when I reset my bench weight a bit and go at it with that mentality, thanks for the tip.

Awesome haha. Can't wait. I don't think I've ever actually been to FL. Maybe once actually when I was younger.. Can't remember.
    I found it a little weird that you were going to florida when you live in Cali haha. You already live in paradise, why go visit another one? . You'll have fun tho.

I see what you are saying about the leg presses then. Personally, I'd have a tough time doing 75% of your working weight on squats; I'd much rather be doing a completely different movement and taking it to its maximum, but I'm stupid like that.

Are you talking about the Smith Machine? IMO, I know everyone hates that thing, but I'm going to try and find a good use for it one of these days. I'm thinking of trying weighted planks in it. I think that it'd actually be really useful then.

Haha, well... I feel like CA is a bit overrated lol. And while one of those reasons is that I hate hot weather, it's not like FL will be any cooler lol. And it's some family reunion thing. My grandparents are over in Alabama so I suppose that is convenient. We usually try to go somewhere different every 2-3 years when we all meet up.

Yeah, I just sort of feel like it's a waste of my time not pushing it hard with the Squats, even though I know a lot of people do stuff like that. I'm the same way *shrug*

Oh, yeah, the Smith haha. I guess it's a good thing I don't even know the proper name for it lol. Well, isn't it already common knowledge that they make good towel racks though? That's pretty useful isn't it? XD
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-09-2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    Oh, yeah, the Smith haha. I guess it's a good thing I don't even know the proper name for it lol. Well, isn't it already common knowledge that they make good towel racks though? That's pretty useful isn't it? XD
    Lol. I wanted to complain about this in my journal but I'll do it here.

At my gym there's a group of 3 guys that bench and curl nonstop, with the occasional 300lb smith squat to above parallel thrown in. It's ridiculous how much people use the damn thing at my gym.

I'll be in Daytona Beach
    Wow, that is so awesome.

Banned
    florida isnt that great once youre here. although it beats the hell out of pretty much anywhere else. i would say drop by.. but daytona is far from here. are you still carb cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Lol. I wanted to complain about this in my journal but I'll do it here.

At my gym there's a group of 3 guys that bench and curl nonstop, with the occasional 300lb smith squat to above parallel thrown in. It's ridiculous how much people use the damn thing at my gym.
    Lol, the smith thing is used quite a damn bit at my gym as well. But to be honest I'd rather them use that than curl in my squat rack!

Wow, that is so awesome.

florida isnt that great once youre here. although it beats the hell out of pretty much anywhere else. i would say drop by.. but daytona is far from here. are you still carb cycling?
    Hah, tryin' to take the fun out of it for me? Well to be honest I could be going to the worst place on earth but I'll be chilling with my cousins and family and stuff so it'll be fun =)

Still cyclin' the carbs, although I'm a bit less strict these days. I'm probably somewhere around 450/125 (lifting/non-lifting) give or take more or less these days. I'm not sure why, but I seem to do well with high fats. I tried bumping up my carbs on non-lifting days and it just seems to have made me gain some extra fat while not necessarily giving me any more energy/strength in the gym.

7/10/10
    Morning weight: 166.5 lbs [+0.5]

Deads
    -hip warmup, 135 x 8, 185 x 4, 225 x 3, 275 x 2
    -315 x 3
    -345 x 3
    -385 x 3 [+1 rep]

Flat BB Bench
    -cuff warmup, 45 x 15, 95 x 8, 135 x 5, 165 x 4
    -195 x 6 <-- overzealous spotter
    -195 x 6 <-- overzealous spotter
    -195 x 4 <-- a spotter who actually let me do the work until I failed

SS'd w/ Bench:
    Decline Situps (about 35 decline, plate behind head)
    -BW+25 x 10 [+1 rep]
    -BW+25 x 10 [+1 rep]
    -BW+25 x 10 [+1 rep]

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 10, 90 x 4
    -147.5 x 5 [+2.5 lbs]
    -145 x 5
    -145 x 5

Workout notes:
    -Spotters who won't let me do reps on my own annoy me.
    -Had to bang out my workout in about 1 hour 15 min today, compared to my usual 2 hour pace.
    -Weighted decline situps have quickly become one of the most intense/painful exercises. I have to freakin' rest-pause those asshats to an extent; they feel like upper-body squats to me. But I endure them out of importance of core strength for Deadlifts.
    -My benching is completely stalled, FFFUUUUUUU.
    -Shin blood goes through soccer socks and still gets on the bar. Note to self: apply some duct tape along shin bone underneath socks before next pulling session.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-11-2010 at 03:52 AM.
    Lifting Journal

Nice last session. Do you always do Sumo Deads or do you alternate between the two of them? I'll go back and forth between the two exercises. I love conventional Deads for back development, but I love the power from Sumo Deads. Sumo's fit my leverage much better.

I'm loving the continual increases in reps and weights. You always have a lot of red in your journal.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...