The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    House Lannister
    Damn, two hours usually? That's about the point where I start to get antsy and want to get out of the gym. How long are your rest periods on most days? 5 mins?

I debated saying this, but IMO you don't really need a spotter on bench. I never ask for one unless its a 1RM, because anything else I can handle if I fail. Are you pretty good at rolling the bar off of you? Might be a good technique to try. I have to do it every once in a while and it's much better than asking for a spotter who wants to do partial deads with you while you're benching haha.

It's not gonna hurt to lower the weight on benching in order to be comfortable enough to do 'em alone, just don't go overboard until you finally get someone who can give a proper spot.

Also, the ghetto rows are a good movement to keep in the mix, but eventually you may get to the point where the other end of the bar becomes unstable because you have so much weight on it.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-11-2010 at 11:29 AM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Nice last session. Do you always do Sumo Deads or do you alternate between the two of them? I'll go back and forth between the two exercises. I love conventional Deads for back development, but I love the power from Sumo Deads. Sumo's fit my leverage much better.

I'm loving the continual increases in reps and weights. You always have a lot of red in your journal.
    Thanks man. I stick with Sumo's, but at this point where the gains are coming slow I might think about putting Conventional back in as an alternate exercise. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Damn, two hours usually? That's about the point where I start to get antsy and want to get out of the gym. How long are your rest periods on most days? 5 mins?

I debated saying this, but IMO you don't really need a spotter on bench. I never ask for one unless its a 1RM, because anything else I can handle if I fail. Are you pretty good at rolling the bar off of you? Might be a good technique to try. I have to do it every once in a while and it's much better than asking for a spotter who wants to do partial deads with you while you're benching haha.
    Yeah probably about 5 minutes. And I usually spend a bunch of time warming up for my lifts.

About the spotter, the main reason I need one is not for failure but to lift off the bar at the start of the set lol. With my shoulder blades pinched back and my index fingers on the rings, there's no way in hell I stand a chance of actually lifting the bar off the rack., if I want to stay tight and keep my form that is.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    It's not gonna hurt to lower the weight on benching in order to be comfortable enough to do 'em alone, just don't go overboard until you finally get someone who can give a proper spot.

Also, the ghetto rows are a good movement to keep in the mix, but eventually you may get to the point where the other end of the bar becomes unstable because you have so much weight on it.
    Alright cool, thanks for the input man. I think it'll be a while before I have too much weight on those haha, so I'll keep doing them for a while
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Laughing at the duct tape on the shins. You must not have hairy legs -- Haha
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Laughing at the duct tape on the shins. You must not have hairy legs -- Haha
    Haha well actually I kinda do, but I'm just thinking aloud here and am trying to figure out how to stop bleeding all over barbells XD Perhaps duct tape outside the sock?

7/13/10
    9.5"-Depth Olympic Squats
    -fire hydrants, leg swings, 45 x 15, 95 x 8, 135 x 5, 185 x 3
    -240 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -240 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -240 x 5

Standing one-arm DB Press
    -DB rotating warmups, face pulls, arm circles
    -20's x 8
    -35's x 3
    -55's x 6
    -55's x 6 [+1 rep]

Decline Situps (35, plate behind head)
    -BW+25 x 12 [+2 reps]
    -BW+25 x 12 [+2 reps]
    -BW+25 x 12 [+2 reps]

Chinups
    -BW x 7
    -BW+20 x 3
    -BW+40 x 4
    -BW+30 x 5
    -BW+20 x 7.5

Dips
    -BW x 10
    -BW+80 x 5 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW+80 x 4 [+5 lbs, -1 rep]
    -BW x 13

Workout was very draining, and most of my lifts are either stalled, progressing slowly, or are simply getting really heavy for me to get my reps in. Despite all the red color you see, trust me I'm getting pretty pounded lol (no homo). I also dragged ass during this session... Took over 2 hours, maybe close to 2h30m. Vacation couldn't have come at a better time. I'm glad I hit it hard one last time before Florida though. I leave tomorrow morning. Behave yourselves while I'm gone everybody, I will catch up with your journals when I get back next week
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-14-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

House Lannister
    Hate your squats...your lower body squashes mine in terms of strength...good job tho.

Everything's looking good. Try and get a workout in if at all possible while in Florida, even if its just machines, its a nice change of pace.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Workout was very draining, and most of my lifts are either stalled, progressing slowly, or are simply getting really heavy for me to get my reps in. Despite all the red color you see, trust me I'm getting pretty pounded lol (no homo). I also dragged ass during this session... Took over 2 hours, maybe close to 2h30m. Vacation couldn't have come at a better time. I'm glad I hit it hard one last time before Florida though.
    It's nice to get one blasted session in when you know you're going out of town. You'll have all of the time to rest while you're out. The rest might do you better than you think.

I learned that even if you're progressing by 1 rep, it's still progression. We can't expect to jump up 5 pounds, or 3 reps every single week, even though I would love that. I had to realize that towards the end of my last cycle of DC training.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

^ Agreed. Giving the old CNS a little break may be what you need. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi. Your avatar always used to give me a good laugh when I posted on here frequently. I always imagined the bird was the one saying your user title.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Damn good job with the lifting before your vacation bro.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Hate your squats...your lower body squashes mine in terms of strength...good job tho.

Everything's looking good. Try and get a workout in if at all possible while in Florida, even if its just machines, its a nice change of pace.

Have fun!
    Thanks bro. I did actually get in one light workout over there hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    It's nice to get one blasted session in when you know you're going out of town. You'll have all of the time to rest while you're out. The rest might do you better than you think.

I learned that even if you're progressing by 1 rep, it's still progression. We can't expect to jump up 5 pounds, or 3 reps every single week, even though I would love that. I had to realize that towards the end of my last cycle of DC training.
    Yeah true. I guess I can be a little impatient after having seen such rapid progress from my first several months of lifting (which is to be expected).

Quote Originally Posted by SW View Post
    ^ Agreed. Giving the old CNS a little break may be what you need. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi. Your avatar always used to give me a good laugh when I posted on here frequently. I always imagined the bird was the one saying your user title.
    Haha sweet. I don't really know why I put a puffin in my avatar lol, it just seemed fitting. Thanks for droppin' in.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Damn good job with the lifting before your vacation bro.
    Thanks Coke, you're awesome.

Daytona Beach was awesome. Had fun visiting family, watching my 10-month-old niece have a freaking blast at the beach and swimming pools lol, relaxing in the ocean (which is much nicer than the pacific), lots of barely-clothed girls, and just being lazy lol.

Deload workout (was able to get one in on Saturday)
    was something like this...

Flat DB Bench
    -20's x 10
    -40's x 10
    -50's x 15
    -50's x 12

Chinups
    -BW x 8
    -BW x 8
    -BW x 8
    -BW x 8

Some lame Leg Press thing that had the depth of what felt like a quarter squat
    -200 (stack) x 10
    -200 x 10

Decline Situps
    -BW x 10
    -BW x 20
    -BW x 12

It's a weird feeling to work out without the intention of actually fully exerting yourself. Definitely a relaxing change of pace. And plus, it was nice to get somewhat of a pump before heading out to the beach lol.

I'm still feeling lazy and what not, and my back is actually feeling a bit weird, but I will probably resume lifting this Thursday so as to get a full 8 days or so of rest from heavy lifting.

Need some advice: How low should I start my working weights as I start back up again? I know I probably shouldn't just start back up where I left off, but I don't wanna go too light as too be ineffective.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Lifting Journal

This is where instinctive training comes into play, just go with the flow and do what you feel at the moment.

Glad you had a wonderful time man!!

Thanks man. I sorta rolled with the flow today lol.

23 July 2010]

Deadlifts
    -hip warmup, 95 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 4, 225 x 3, 275 x 2
    -315 x 3
    -345 x 3
    -375 x 5 [match PR]

Flat BB Bench Press
    -cuff warmup, 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5
    -175 x 7
    -175 x 7
    -175 x 8

Decline Situps
    -BW+20 x 12
    -BW+20 x 12

Ghetto Rows
    -45 x 10, 90 x 5
    -115 x 8
    -115 x 9
    -115 x 10

Went lighter with the benching, situps, and rows today. However, what's sad is that my benching wasn't even that easy lol. My last rep of my third set I barely put up. I hit 195 for 3x5 a little while ago and since then haven't passed it and seem to have gotten weaker. Do you think it's time I switch to DB Benching or should I just fight through this and try to work my way back up and past it?

Also, I don't think I know what it means to take it easy on Deadlifts. Every time I load up the bar, no matter what my plan WAS before coming to the gym, I always exert myself 100% lol. Considering how crappy my diet and rest has been lately I was happy to match my PR.
    Lifting Journal

Solid work, dude. That's a hell of a pull! What program are you running again? There's too many variables why you can't surpass 195 for 3x5 - No one can answer that for you unless you provide all the necessary information. You did just go on a vacation so a lack of consistency and/or a change in typical diet may have been the cause. I know exactly what you mean with deadlifts. That's why they save that for the last lift in a meet, lol. I'm always completed exhausted and drained after pulling.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

As always, impressive deadlifting Mike!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Great approach to those deads, like the entire workout man.

Thanks guys.

Things have been pretty ****ty lately though. My sleep schedule is out of whack, and my diet is horrible (crazy amounts of sugary desserts all day long, protein at near-starved levels some days). BF% rising, strength decreasing, mindset getting weaker. It's quite pathetic.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-26-2010 at 04:09 AM.
    Lifting Journal

27 July 2010

9.5" Oly Squats
    -225 x 5
    -225 x 5
    -225 x 5

BB Military Press (switched to this after months of using DB's, may stick with 'em)
    -95 x 4
    -85 x 6
    -85 x 9

Chinups
    -BW+25 x 5
    -BW+25 x 5
    -BW+25 x 5

Dips
    -BW+60 x 8
    -BW+60 x 5

I feel weak as hell, but I figure... if this wasn't difficult, there wouldn't be a wannabebig.com and everyone would be huge strong jacked mofos
    Lifting Journal

No joke, besides, anything worth having isn't easy to obtain, at least for the most part, lol.

Haha yeah. Thanks Coke, I always appreciate your undying support. You are awesome.

Question: Since my strength (especially my pressing strength) has been stalled and at the moment is actually weaker than before, do you think it would be a wise decision to switch BB Benching to DB Benching and switch DB OH Pressing to BB OH Pressing? Or would it be better for me to stick to what I'm used to and fight through the stagnant phase? I think it might be kind of exciting to switch it up considering that I've been doing the same lifts for the past 5-6 months, but I'm not sure how much change-up is required at my lower level as opposed to just getting back on track with diet and rest and what not (although I still feel like even if those things were in order, my routine is maybe a bit stale).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    imo i would keep the exercises the same.. have you tried resetting the weight back a bit? i would reset the weight before i would change exercises. ps nice pulling and squatting bro. im sorry i havent been keeping up, ive been sulking lately.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    imo i would keep the exercises the same.. have you tried resetting the weight back a bit? i would reset the weight before i would change exercises. ps nice pulling and squatting bro. im sorry i havent been keeping up, ive been sulking lately.
    I like this advice, that's always worked best for me for working through sticking points. Rather than drop the lift I drop the weight and work on more recruitment and build back up to the weight with more control/power/force/balls.

But then again I actually don't care about how much weight I'm moving so this is pretty much a pure hypertrophy minded approach for me.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Alright thanks guys. I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the advice.

6/31/10
    Deads
    -315 x 3
    -345 x 3
    -375 x 0 -- wanted to go for 5 or 6 but couldn't even break it off the floor once >_>
    -315 x 3

Standing one-arm DB Press
    -40's x 14
    -40's x 14

Chinups
    -BW+30 x 4
    -BW+25 x 5
    -BW+20 x 4.5

Dips
    -BW+40 x 11
    -BW+40 x 7

I'm not really sure what's going on here. It seems like my endurance to rep out set #2 and/or set #3 is absolute ****. Noted especially in the Deads and Dips. Would you say that is likely a problem with diet? I probably am not getting enough food pre-workout. My diet has been all-around pretty sketchy lately but I didn't think it would have THIS much of a negative effect on my progress.

I'm going to focus more on reps right now than heavy weight because it's clear that I cannot even lift the heavy weight right now for some reason even if I tried. I will gradually work my way back up to heavy weights.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-31-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    How's your sleep lately? Been getting enough hours in? Been doing a lot of physical activites like frisbee or something? Diet can be big too if you aren't eating enough. You missed gym days or something?

Sleeping hours could be better, but it really isn't much worse if at all than it was before. I've actually been doing less physical activities lol. I've missed some days in the past, but this week I got my three days in (didn't log one of them). I think I need to up my carbs and get better pre-workout nutrition, but still... things just seem abnormally off =/
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    are you lethargic? not sure man. personally,ive been feeling less energy lately than i did when i was dieting.. very weird