The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Morning Weigh-in: 156.0 (-1 lb)
    I gotta up my carb intake especially on my lifting days. Right now it's probably around 200-225 g's which doesn't seem like bulking status lol. Will raise to around 300 so as not to jump the gun too quickly. My off-day carb intake is around 80-100 g's. My overall body composition seems improved though, I think I actually look noticeably leaner even though my weight is hovering around the same lbs, so to be honest I'm not really disappointed that I haven't gained weight. I think the consistent sprinting and metcon-type stuff I do has made a huge difference with regulating body fat levels. Admittedly I've been lazy with counting calories. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating a lot, but when I weigh in the scale disagrees haha.
    On that note though, morning weigh-in today: 157.5
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

On point with everything in here, keep it up.

Banned
    first off, nice squatting.

next, i have not tried sumo. i really should because i would be able to utilize my crappy leverages much more

Coke - Hey thanks man, you have been pretty damn on track yourself lately with those heavy ass squats and pressing (and pretty much heavy everything else lol).

f=ma - Thanks. Yeah dude try it out. It's crazy cuz with Sumo it's like... if you can break the bar from the ground you can go all the way, unless your grip gives out or something. But the mechanics of it are just so awesome.

Notes for today
    -6 x 10-second sprints with 2 minutes rest between each
    -Went to Wood Ranch grill and had a nice juicy sirloin steak and tons of rolls along with a ceasar salad and peanut coleslaw thing lol. Was great.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

wicka wicka, what's up buddy! Things looking real good in here, glad to see you sticking with it. I gotta get myself back on the bud, it's hard after a long vacation, ha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    yeah.. thats kind of why im hesitant to shift... i have little midget legs relative to my torso length.... so I would have tremendously better leverage to swap over to sumo.. but it would negatively impact my ROM. its a tough call. once im done dieting i will probably give it a go for a few weeks

House Lannister
    Morning Weigh-in: 156.0 (-1 lb)
    I gotta up my carb intake especially on my lifting days. Right now it's probably around 200-225 g's which doesn't seem like bulking status lol. Will raise to around 300 so as not to jump the gun too quickly. My off-day carb intake is around 80-100 g's. My overall body composition seems improved though, I think I actually look noticeably leaner even though my weight is hovering around the same lbs, so to be honest I'm not really disappointed that I haven't gained weight. I think the consistent sprinting and metcon-type stuff I do has made a huge difference with regulating body fat levels. Admittedly I've been lazy with counting calories. Sometimes I feel like I'm eating a lot, but when I weigh in the scale disagrees haha.

Are you carb cycling? After talking to Behemoth, he told me that it would probably be advantageous for me to drop my fat intake and replace that intake with carbs. After doing so, I found that I had way more energy in the gym and even looked leaner yet more muscular (fuller). You might want to see if that works for you.

i agree that sprinting/conditioning work seems to help a lot with regulating body fat. How often are you doing that type of work?
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 05-10-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    wicka wicka, what's up buddy! Things looking real good in here, glad to see you sticking with it. I gotta get myself back on the bud, it's hard after a long vacation, ha.
    Ha thanks man! You're probably one of the most focused WBB'ers out there, you definitely deserved that nice long vacation and I'm sure you'll get right back on it

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    yeah.. thats kind of why im hesitant to shift... i have little midget legs relative to my torso length.... so I would have tremendously better leverage to swap over to sumo.. but it would negatively impact my ROM. its a tough call. once im done dieting i will probably give it a go for a few weeks
    Sweet haha. The dieting, man! You're doing great with that. Can't wait to see the even-more-jacked photos you post up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Are you carb cycling? After talking to Behemoth, he told me that it would probably be advantageous for me to drop my fat intake and replace that intake with carbs. After doing so, I found that I had way more energy in the gym and even looked leaner yet more muscular (fuller). You might want to see if that works for you.

i agree that sprinting/conditioning work seems to help a lot with regulating body fat. How often are you doing that type of work?
    Yeah he is probably right about that to some extent. I seem to do really well with high fats and low carbs on off days though. Until I stall out with this plan I don't think I'll switch it up. I'm happy with the gradual weight gain and body re-composition. I am now sprinting just once a week on Saturday, with conditioning exercises performed as alternating Tabata on Tues/Thurs. I lift M/W/F. Seems to work nicely for me.

However I have been gradually increasing my carb intake on lifting days. Complex carbs before workout, dextrose during workout, and white/simple carbs after workout. We shall see how it turns out.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-10-2010 at 03:58 PM.
    Lifting Journal

5/10/10
    Front Squats
    BW x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 2
    -(140 x 5) x 3 [+5 lbs]

Bench
    45 x 15, 95 x 5, 115 x 3, 135 x 2
    -155 x 5
    -155 x 5
    -155 x 6.666

Deadlifts
    45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1
    -275 x 1
    -315 x 1
    -390 x fail

*Chinup/Crunch/Burpee 3x circuit with rest
    Chinups
    -BW+5 x 8
    -BW+5 x 8 [+5 lbs]
    -BW + 8
    Crunches
    -BW+15 x 10
    -BW+15 x 10
    -BW+10 x 10
    Burpees
    -BW x 12
    -BW x 12
    -BW x 15

Lol. Not really much to say here other than the fact that Deadlifting after Front Squats sucked more than I thought it would. My core was already exhausted by this point. My hams/glutes successfully activated the bar off the floor, but my back was like **** lol. Made me pretty pissed and slow-moving for the rest of the workout, but I s'pose we all have those days once in a while. Long story short, I think my days of pulling heavy often are over. I'm gonna lower my overall Deadlift frequency to every 9-10 days, but keep my squatting frequency up.

Anyway... I'm gonna go eat a carb or two. Peace out.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-10-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Lifting Journal

I seem to do really well with high fats and low carbs on off days though.
    Good deal on the carb cycling...but I do hear what you are saying. I know a lifter who swears by increased fats while bulking and another goes mainly for carbs, it all depends on your physical response to either or both, and even that changes as the body changes. Nothing stays the same, or so it seems.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-11-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Workouts getting longer man, looking good. I saw in my last post in here I put "bud" instead of bus. Kind of funny. And I agree with Coke, the body changes and you gotta mix things up after time. But, we're both riding this low carb train until the tracks run out bro.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    5/10/10
    Front Squats
    BW x 5, 45 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 2
    -(140 x 5) x 3 [+5 lbs]

Bench
    45 x 15, 95 x 5, 115 x 3, 135 x 2
    -155 x 5
    -155 x 5
    -155 x 6.666

Deadlifts
    45 x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1
    -275 x 1
    -315 x 1
    -390 x fail

*Chinup/Crunch/Burpee 3x circuit with rest
    Chinups
    -BW+5 x 8
    -BW+5 x 8 [+5 lbs]
    -BW + 8
    Crunches
    -BW+15 x 10
    -BW+15 x 10
    -BW+10 x 10
    Burpees
    -BW x 12
    -BW x 12
    -BW x 15

Lol. Not really much to say here other than the fact that Deadlifting after Front Squats sucked more than I thought it would. My core was already exhausted by this point. My hams/glutes successfully activated the bar off the floor, but my back was like **** lol. Made me pretty pissed and slow-moving for the rest of the workout, but I s'pose we all have those days once in a while. Long story short, I think my days of pulling heavy often are over. I'm gonna lower my overall Deadlift frequency to every 9-10 days, but keep my squatting frequency up.

Anyway... I'm gonna go eat a carb or two. Peace out.
    Deadlifts lookin good man. They really tirin' you out that bad? Maybe start doing the front squats AFTER the deadlifts?

Was the 390 attempt a PR attempt? That had to look sexy lyin' on the ground haha.

Banned
    looking solid man. personally i really dont like deading and squatting in the same session unless the squats are dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal on the carb cycling...but I do hear what you are saying. I know a lifter who swears by increased fats while bulking and another goes mainly for carbs, it all depends on your physical response to either or both, and even that changes as the body changes. Nothing stays the same, or so it seems.
    Yeah true that. I do feel that as time goes on I'm getting more and more educated about diet and how my body responds to certain things. It's actually kinda fun! haha

Workouts getting longer man, looking good. I saw in my last post in here I put "bud" instead of bus. Kind of funny. And I agree with Coke, the body changes and you gotta mix things up after time. But, we're both riding this low carb train until the tracks run out bro.
    Hah, yeah man. Hope the tracks last a while. But we both know that's usually not how life works. Usually just when things seem like they couldn't get any better something pops in and says **** you. lol. For me lately it's been my hip flexors and rotator cuffs taking a beating, but I've been doing a lot to massage/stretch/rehab them.

Deadlifts lookin good man. They really tirin' you out that bad? Maybe start doing the front squats AFTER the deadlifts?

Was the 390 attempt a PR attempt? That had to look sexy lyin' on the ground haha.
    Yeah man. Even when I'm warming up my Deadlifts I can feel my hip flexors straining. And I always do hip warmups before and massaging/stretching after. Yeah it was a PR attempt haha, last PR was 385. I really think I can get 390/395 on my next session if I pull fresh and have some good carbs in me.

looking solid man. personally i really dont like deading and squatting in the same session unless the squats are dynamic
    Yeah I'm definitely realizing more and more that I agree as time goes on. If I were to do dynamic squats before deadlifting, what kind of load/volume would you recommend? 40%-50% of 1RM done as 5 sets of 3 or something?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-12-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Lifting Journal

5/12/10

Back Squats (supersetted with DB Press to save time)
    -warmup: fire hydrants, leg swings, BW Squats
    45 x 7, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 175 x 2
    -200 x 5
    -200 x 5
    -200 x 5

One-armed Standing DB Press
    -35's x 9 [+1 rep]
    -35's x 8
    -35's x 7

Ghetto Rows
    -125 x 5
    -125 x 5
    -125 x 8

*Circuit: Dips, Leg Lifts, Tuck Jumps completed two times with rest
    Dips
    -BW+20 x 11.5 (+5 lbs, +1 rep)
    -BW+20 x 9 (+5 lbs, +1 rep)

Leg Lifts: x10, x10

Tuck Jumps: x20, x30

Not bad. Had to rush today, but it turned out pretty good. I'm just at the point where my PR's are going to start becoming more existent,except for my Dips which already seem to have been improving super fast these past several sessions. I keep using heavier dumbbells thinking that I'm going to end up doing less reps, but I keep pumping them out for some reason. It's about time to invest in a dipping belt. The dumbbell between my feet is annoying and is starting to slip out toward the end of my sets.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive dipping belt that will get the job done?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Here is a less expensive dipping belt:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bb...tml?MCID=FGOOG

I use the better crafted leather one at my gym, but this may do the trick for you.

On a roll in here these days man!!

w00t, thanks man. I'll probably order that today or tomorrow.

Also, morning weigh-in: 159.5 (2.5 lbs)
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    squats look good bro

Yeah I'm definitely realizing more and more that I agree as time goes on. If I were to do dynamic squats before deadlifting, what kind of load/volume would you recommend? 40%-50% of 1RM done as 5 sets of 3 or something?
    i really dont like anything more than 1-2 working sets of 5 at 60-70%. most people do MUCH more volume than me tho..

Diggin the PR's all over brother!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

i really dont like anything more than 1-2 working sets of 5 at 60-70%. most people do MUCH more volume than me tho..
    Really? I've been working with like 75% of my 1RM for my working loads of squats doing 3 x 5. Do I just suck at repping % loads of my 1RM? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Diggin the PR's all over brother!
    Thanks d00d!

Notes: Diet the past two days has been quite good. Carbs blasted high on Wednesday; complex/wheat in the morning and before workout, dextrose during workout, lots of simple/white breads after, wheat enchiladas for dinner. Fats high today. Despite the lowered carbs I really love off days because I get to eat so many nuts and hot dogs and stuff lol

5/11/10
    -Alternating shadowbox/burpee tabata repeated twice with a 20/15 ratio.

5/14/10
    -3 x 10-second sprints followed by one box/burpee tabata 20/14.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-14-2010 at 03:37 AM.
    Lifting Journal

5/14/10

Front Squats
    Fire hydrants, leg swings, BW Squats, 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 115 x 3
    -(145 x 5) x 3 [+5 lbs]

Bench Press
    external cuff warmup, 45 x 13, 95 x 7, 115 x 3, 135 x 3
    -160 x 5
    -160 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -160 x 5 [+5 lbs]

*Circuit: Chinups/Crunches/Burpees completed 3x with adequate rest at end
    Chinups
    -BW+5 x 8
    -BW+5 x 8
    -BW+5 x 8 [+5 lbs]

Weighted Crunches: (BW+5 x 12) x 3

Burpees: x13, x13, x20

~~~~~

Thoughts: I think I may stop worrying about Front Squats for now and just focus on increasing my Back Squat strength. The reason I stopped Back Squatting every session before was because I thought that my hips were getting overworked, but then realized it's because I switched from Conv. Deads to Sumo Deads, which clearly uses a lot more hip leverage. I think as long as I keep my Deadlift frequency down to every 7-10 days I can do Back Squats every session (unless I'm Deadlifting that session), which will be good because of the extra weight I can use as opposed to when doing Front Squats, which will call for increased growth I'd presume.

Anyway... pretty good workout. Time to carb up!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-14-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Screw you and your burpees!!! Man, as a fat man, I think I speak for us all when I say I hate them. Tabatas looking fantabulous.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Workouts are looking good Fix. I'm wondering why you don't use a barbell instead of the dumbbells for standing press though? Not a critique, just curious...

Screw you and your burpees!!! Man, as a fat man, I think I speak for us all when I say I hate them. Tabatas looking fantabulous.
    Haha thanks. I probably overuse burpees but I just seriously have not found a conditioning tool as brutal and complete as them! Maybe I'll start doing dumbbell-weighted burpees soon.

Workouts are looking good Fix. I'm wondering why you don't use a barbell instead of the dumbbells for standing press though? Not a critique, just curious...
    Thanks. Hm... I just have always liked the way dumbell overhead presses have felt. Barbell overhead presses always felt kind of like a steep incline press to me with lots of anterior delt recruitment whereas with the dumbbells I feel recruitment in my whole shoulder. They also me be of benefit to me because of my rotator cuff tenderness as of late, compared to lifting a heavier barbell overhead. But I'm not opposed to trying barbell again some time in the near future.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    burpees suck. id rather be sitting

nice lifting man. imo i would make that switch to back squats.. maybe olympic style?