The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    f=ma - Yeah they do suck lol. Thanks. What exactly does "olympic" entail? What I've been doing is a high-bar placement and trying to sit back and keep myself as upright as possible, reaching probably a bit below parallel; I always try to go as deep as possible, but any lower and my back would start to lose a bit of its tightness. Is that the right idea or is there more to olympic than that? Anyway, yeah I am pretty sure the Front Squats are gonna take a hiatus for now until my strength is higher.

Morning Weight: 159.5 (still the all-time high for now)

HIIT
    -6 x 10-second Sprints (2 min. rest between each)
    -one completion of a 20/14 Tabata: Boxing/Burpees

Tomorrow is a rest day. Thank goodness lol.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-15-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    f=ma - Yeah they do suck lol. Thanks. What exactly does "olympic" entail? What I've been doing is a high-bar placement and trying to sit back and keep myself as upright as possible, reaching probably a bit below parallel; I always try to go as deep as possible, but any lower and my back would start to lose a bit of its tightness. Is that the right idea or is there more to olympic than that? Anyway, yeah I am pretty sure the Front Squats are gonna take a hiatus for now until my strength is higher.

Morning Weight: 159.5 (still the all-time high for now)

HIIT
    -6 x 10-second Sprints (2 min. rest between each)
    -one completion of a 20/14 Tabata: Boxing/Burpees

Tomorrow is a rest day. Thank goodness lol.
    This. The middle picture is pretty much olympic squatting.

^ Ah, cool. I must be doing that then. I keep the bar high and stay rather tight and upright. I gotta have my depth measured one of these days. I know I go below parallel, just don't know to what extent.

5/17/10
    Deep Squats
    Fire hydrants, Leg swings, BW Squats, 45 x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 175 x 1
    -(205 x 5) x 3 [+5 lbs]

Standing one-armed DB Press
    external cuff warmup
    -40's x 5
    -40's x 5
    -40's x 8 [+5 lbs, +3 reps]

Ghetto Rows
    -130 x 5
    -130 x 5
    -130 x 5 +1 almost rep [+5 lbs]

*Circuit: Dips, Leg Lifts, Tuck Jumps -- performed twice with rest at end
    Dips
    -BW+25 x 11 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+25 x 9 [+5 lbs]
    Leg Lifts: x10, x10
    Tuck Jumps: x30, x40

Today = cheat dessert. Had homemade chocolate peanut butter cups and ice cream w/ fudge. So good lol.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Good job overall Fix, continuing to elevate.

Banned
    yeah..the thing with olympics is staying upright and allowing your knees to go past your toes. honestly, its tough for me to describe.. i can do but not teach haha

anyways, squats and db pressing look solid. very nice work

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good job overall Fix, continuing to elevate.
    Thanks man, you continue to inspire

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    yeah..the thing with olympics is staying upright and allowing your knees to go past your toes. honestly, its tough for me to describe.. i can do but not teach haha

anyways, squats and db pressing look solid. very nice work
    Thanks. Hmm alright haha sounds good. I didn't know about the knees past toes thing, I always have heard so many times to not let them do that, so that's good to know that they can go a bit past (not as if mine didn't anyway).

5/18/10

Conditioning
    -2 shadowboxing/burpee Tabatas; ratio of first one was 20/13 and the second one was 20/15. 3-4 minutes rest between them.

Almost didn't do this, woke up late from my nap, at about 9 pm. Glad I did it though. Heavy Deadlifts tomorrow. w00t.
    Lifting Journal

5/19/10

Deadlifts
    fire hydrants, leg swings, 45 x 10, 9 x 5, 135 x 4, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1
    -315 x 1
    -355 x 1
    -390 x 1 [+5 lbs]
    -315 x 3
    -275 x 3

Bench Press
    external cuff rotating warmup, 45 x 12, 95 x 6, 115 x 3, 135 x 3
    -165 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -165 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -165 x 5 [+5 lbs]

Hammerstrength Leg Extensions
    -40 lbs. each leg x 15

*Circuit: Chinups/Crunches/Burpees performed 3x with rest at the end of each time through
    Chinups
    -BW+5 x 9 [+1 rep]
    -BW+5 x 8
    -BW+5 x 6 ran out of juice here lol

Weighted Crunches: (BW+10 x 12) x 3 [+5 lbs]

Burpees: x15, x15, x20 (been constantly increasing the volume of these, will perhaps try some weighted eventually)

Notes: I didn't struggle as much with the 390 as I thought I would. Also, I've found that when I start with my butt lower and my back more upright, my pull is stronger. My ham/glute activation strength is my strong point as compared to my lower back which seems to be the weak link in the mix when maxing. This helps explain why I can pull noticeably more sumo than conventional. Will most likely go pull 395 on Monday (unless my back/hips are feeling too rocked, but I'll make sure to foam roll/massage stick/stretch a lot). Also decided to throw in a set of Leg Extensions just to see what they feel like. I think I will continue to do 1 set of them every now and then, nice to get a slight bit of quad work after the heavy posterior chain work, and I do not want to squat/dead on the same day haha.

I was very pleased with this workout, although I was feeling pretty beat throughout and dragged a lot between sets. I'm about to order this though: http://supplementdirect.com/reps39servpwiblznbb.aspx A pre-workout energy supplement called Reps. I think I'll benefit a lot from it. It's only $10 each (shipping is fairly cheap) and with the coupon "BBCOM" you get a 10% discount. I'll probably order 4 of them which will run about $40 including shipping. Each bag has 39 servings, so it'll cost about $0.25 for each scoop, I am down with that

Carb time, peace out guise.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    Thanks man, you continue to inspire

Thanks. Hmm alright haha sounds good. I didn't know about the knees past toes thing, I always have heard so many times to not let them do that, so that's good to know that they can go a bit past (not as if mine didn't anyway).

5/18/10

Conditioning
    -2 shadowboxing/burpee Tabatas; ratio of first one was 20/13 and the second one was 20/15. 3-4 minutes rest between them.

Almost didn't do this, woke up late from my nap, at about 9 pm. Glad I did it though. Heavy Deadlifts tomorrow. w00t.
    you and your deads. i seriously doubt i could pull 390 atm. awesome coefficieent

anyways though, with oly squats, your knees can go past your toes because all of your weight is on your heels. it hits the quads much harder and deloads from the hips (from what i understand)

Way to own those deads, great effort overall.

Banned
    fix, i saw your thread about caffeine... i like the following:

400mg caffeine
    50mg ephedrine
    30g whey
    50g dextrose
    7g BA
    7g creatine

due to recent training changes, i dont take it altogether in the morning anymore.. but it is very, very potent when all taken together. buying a premade mixture is comically expensive when you can get the bulk ingredients for literally ten cents on the dollar. if youre still trying to bulk, you should leave out the ephedrine, imo
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-20-2010 at 05:20 AM.

So I should just take something like that first thing when I wake up? Not when I am lifting? Also, do I need BCAA's?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-20-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Lifting Journal

So I should just take something like that first thing when I wake up? Not when I am lifting? Also, do I need BCAA's?
    Don't go anywhere near the ephedrine. One you're bulking and it's going to seriously suppress your appetite and two you'll develop a nasty need for it requiring more and more to feel good again, and burn out your CNS real quick. It has it's place but IMO really only in the very latter stages of dieting when already pretty lean and can be used for a fairly short term (2 months or less).

Caffeine's kind of the same, but not nearly to the same extent. I avoid it as much as possible even while cutting because yes it can be such a good tool to get you going on certain days that I feel consumption of to specifically get you going should be reserves when really necessary to get going. Did that make any sense? I'm tired.

The rest of that stuff Tim has listed is all well and good.

With regard to BCAA, it would be a waste of money for you. You have PLENTY in your system already at any given moment due to the adequate protein take you take in during a bulk, not to mention the saftey buffer of the other macronutrients. If they were free, sure why not include them it's not going to hurt. But considering they're far, far more expensive than protein per gram you're way better off just taking in protein (which already contain them) because you don't have a calorie quota you must stay under to lose weight. That's where they have their primary place IMO.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-20-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Deadlifts looked really good. I'd be a little careful with those pre-workout stacks, Fix. I'd make sure you're getting plenty of carbs and maybe even drink gatorade before and during your workout before you start taking stimulants to give you a boost. Just my 2 cents.

Banned
    <3 my caffeine... i still use it when i bulk.. but only on lifting days.

ephedrine has no place in a bulk though, def agree w/ rory.. he nailed it.

House Lannister
    <3 my caffeine... i still use it when i bulk.. but only on lifting days.

ephedrine has no place in a bulk though, def agree w/ rory.. he nailed it.
    I love caffeine too, but I usually drink it in coffee form and not usually around workouts. It'll just make me too jittery and make me lose focus.

I just think he'd be better off working on his pre-workout nutrition (if it isn't already good) if he's looking for a boost before workouts. Something like oatmeal, bananas, etc. has helped me a ton lately with my workouts and maybe it'll help him too if his pre-workout nutrition is lagging.

Then again, if I was working out at like 4 am like you do, I'd probably be taking caffeine pills too haha.

5/21/10

Squats (deep, high-bar)
    fire hydrants/leg swings, bar x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 155 x 2, 175 x 1
    -210 x 5 [+5lbs]
    -210 x 2, failed on rep 3
    -185 x 5

Standing one-arm DB Press
    external cuff stuff
    -40's x 6
    -40's x 6
    -40's x 7

Ghetto Rows
    -117.5 x 7
    -117.5 x 7
    -117.5 x 9

*Circuit
    Dips
    -BW+30 x 11 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+30 x 9 [+5 lbs]
    -BW+30 x 8

Leg Lifts: x10, x10, x10

Tuck Jumps: x30, x30, x50

DB Curls (for fun lol)
    -35's x 5

Was pretty pissed about Squats. I sort of lost my balance there and that contributed a lot to the fail, but probably a lot of the reason I lost my balance was due to being so beat from Wednesday's Deadlifts. Dips made up for it though, I've never made such steady progress with them before.

Feedback:Thanks for the responses guys. I will definitely stay away from ephedrine haha. Looks like I'm due to order some creapure Creatine monohydrate and Beta Alanine then.

Question 1: As far as my pre-workout nutrition, I generally have a multi-grain sandwich with an apple or something, then during my workout I have a shake of about 45g whey and 35-40g dextrose. Then when I get home I have another 25g whey with a banana and about 10g dextrose added. Then I start into my post-workout meals shortly after. I know that part of a diet can't just be viewed and judged out of context of the rest of one's diet, but does that seem like it might be on track just from a glance?

Question 2: I seem to be stalling out in strength for my squats and chins, whereas things like my bench/deadlift/dips are going up pretty well I think. Should I just keep going with the routine and perhaps do some switching up of set/rep scheme for my squats and chins? Or should I just keep pounding it out and eventually get past my sticking points? Currently I'm doing 3x5 for squats and trying to increase 5 lbs each session, and chins are 3x8ish trying to increase reps a bit to 3x9 or 3x10 then increase in weight.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-21-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Nice squats despite the failed second set. The dips are coming along too. I love dips and attribute them to most of my upper body size.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I could try to answer your pre/post workout nutrition question but there are other variables involved, like the time of day you normally train, etc...eating right before you lift is not recommended, unless of course you wait a bit afterwards. I like a quick oatmeal snack, this works well for me at least a half hour before I leave to the gym but it is a light serving. Keep experimenting too.

Variety in the sets/reps and weights used will help through sticking points, you will break out of it in time dude.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-21-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Coke nailed it. Try things out.

As a general guideline I would make sure you have a whole food meal in your at least one hour before, preferrably a little farther like 2 hours. I wouldn't really concern much with what it is, as long as it has protein and some slow carbs. After giving that a go maybe try a small snack type meal half hour to 45 minutes before you train... something along the lines of a half of scoop of whey and a half a bagel would be excellent might be an great starting point here if you decide you want to add something closer.

I've never eaten a meal like that during my workout so I honestly can't speak from experience. But on paper that during workout meal is unnecessary. If you get a solid meal in even a few hours prior you'll be good. But if it doesn't bog you down or interefere with your lifting then eating during isn't going to set you back with your current goals of gaining.

Obviously you know to eat carbs and protein post workout. The whole fast digestion thing is mega overrated IMO. Whey and dextrose may be optimal on paper but there are advantages on paper to something like oats post workout too. Just make sure you get 40 or so grams of protein and 100 or so of carbs.

IMO people make workout related meals way too compliced. Just have enough food in you to train hard, and make sure that food has had at least a little time to settle. And just make sure you get in protein and carbs within an hour or so post, preferrably right after.

The second question I don't know. I would stick with your routine though. Plateaus and slow downs are inevitable so I would say just stay consistent and you'll break through them eventually if everything else is in order.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-21-2010 at 08:05 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

House Lannister
    I would just keep hacking at the squats until you move past your plateau. If a couple weeks go by and you're still at that weight, then deload.

As for the pre-workout nutrition, I like to eat a bowl of sugary oatmeal (seriously) and a protein shake about 45 mins before I head to the gym. During my workout I'll drink a CLIF electrolyte/carb drink, and then after I'll usually down a protein shake or get some lean meat in. I think it might help a bit if you get some more simple sugars in around your workout time. I really don't know too much about dextrose, but you might just be better off eating a couple bananas or something. It'll be cheaper and might even be more effective. I'd move away from the sandwich and apple tho (personally) because that doesn't give you a whole lot of simple carbs to work with (which *I* find beneficial) during your workout. That'd be a good meal an hour and a half or two hours before your workout tho. Be and F will prolly be able to help out here more tho.

What's up with the beta alanine? What is that supposed to do? Have you used it before? (Just curious, not criticizing)

Make sure your diet is on check too Fix. If you aren't eating at a surplus progress is gonna be slow. Trust me, I've wasted so much time working out on a severe deficit the past couple of years.

Everything looks good tho. Dips are really progressing well, huh? What are tuck jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Nice squats despite the failed second set. The dips are coming along too. I love dips and attribute them to most of my upper body size.
    Thanks man! You have been a huge source of inspiration and knowledge for me, thanks for stopping by

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    I could try to answer your pre/post workout nutrition question but there are other variables involved, like the time of day you normally train, etc...eating right before you lift is not recommended, unless of course you wait a bit afterwards. I like a quick oatmeal snack, this works well for me at least a half hour before I leave to the gym but it is a light serving. Keep experimenting too.

Variety in the sets/reps and weights used will help through sticking points, you will break out of it in time dude.
    Alright man sounds good, thanks for the input. I do like oatmeal, always a great wholesome snack/breakfast/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Coke nailed it. Try things out.

As a general guideline I would make sure you have a whole food meal in your at least one hour before, preferrably a little farther like 2 hours. I wouldn't really concern much with what it is, as long as it has protein and some slow carbs. After giving that a go maybe try a small snack type meal half hour to 45 minutes before you train... something along the lines of a half of scoop of whey and a half a bagel would be excellent might be an great starting point here if you decide you want to add something closer.

I've never eaten a meal like that during my workout so I honestly can't speak from experience. But on paper that during workout meal is unnecessary. If you get a solid meal in even a few hours prior you'll be good. But if it doesn't bog you down or interefere with your lifting then eating during isn't going to set you back with your current goals of gaining.

Obviously you know to eat carbs and protein post workout. The whole fast digestion thing is mega overrated IMO. Whey and dextrose may be optimal on paper but there are advantages on paper to something like oats post workout too. Just make sure you get 40 or so grams of protein and 100 or so of carbs.

IMO people make workout related meals way too compliced. Just have enough food in you to train hard, and make sure that food has had at least a little time to settle. And just make sure you get in protein and carbs within an hour or so post, preferrably right after.

The second question I don't know. I would stick with your routine though. Plateaus and slow downs are inevitable so I would say just stay consistent and you'll break through them eventually if everything else is in order.
    Thanks for all the council man! You are a huge help, it's great to have you around PM sent by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I would just keep hacking at the squats until you move past your plateau. If a couple weeks go by and you're still at that weight, then deload.

As for the pre-workout nutrition, I like to eat a bowl of sugary oatmeal (seriously) and a protein shake about 45 mins before I head to the gym. During my workout I'll drink a CLIF electrolyte/carb drink, and then after I'll usually down a protein shake or get some lean meat in. I think it might help a bit if you get some more simple sugars in around your workout time. I really don't know too much about dextrose, but you might just be better off eating a couple bananas or something. It'll be cheaper and might even be more effective. I'd move away from the sandwich and apple tho (personally) because that doesn't give you a whole lot of simple carbs to work with (which *I* find beneficial) during your workout. That'd be a good meal an hour and a half or two hours before your workout tho. Be and F will prolly be able to help out here more tho.

What's up with the beta alanine? What is that supposed to do? Have you used it before? (Just curious, not criticizing)

Make sure your diet is on check too Fix. If you aren't eating at a surplus progress is gonna be slow. Trust me, I've wasted so much time working out on a severe deficit the past couple of years.

Everything looks good tho. Dips are really progressing well, huh? What are tuck jumps?
    Thanks for the advice bro. Yeah I'm figuring out that I really like bananas around workout time haha. Good call.

BA is just something I've been reading about and hearing about from many reputable sources and it seems to be one of the key ingredients in workout supplements. Something about carnosine which is located in your muscles and having more of it keeps the pH levels of your muscles from dropping too much during workout, thereby allowing you to push a bit harder due to not as quick of a fatigue (muscular burn/failure). I won't pretend to understand much about it haha, but from what I have heard, it and Creatine are two very worthwhile supps to invest in for pretty much any bodybuilder's purposes, so I plan to!
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    i havent noticed any positive attributes about BA except make me tingly.. which i like. i think its overrated.. but i have another 1500g to go through

i havent noticed any positive attributes about BA except make me tingly.. which i like. i think its overrated.. but i have another 1500g to go through
    Agree with this. Minus the tingle. Actually it really pisses me off, what the **** does making you tingle have to do with anything lifting related, and I hate people seemingly rating supplements on their BA count these days. -- My roomate with regard to white flood pre workout after taking NO xplode for a while "well it makes my lips tingle like the NO so it's gotta be doing something" WHAT?

Anyhow, I'd skip the BA personally, I took it and at massive doses and diddn't notice any of the extra endurance type effects it was supposed to illicit.

And dextrose = glucose. Banana = fructose.

Glucose = more muscle gylcogen replensihment/less liver glycogen replenishment.
    Fructose = more liver glycogen replenishment/less muscle glycogen replenishment.

Dextrose > banana.

Hm... interesting. I kind of still want to order some of it along with the creatine and try it, although I guess if I'm taking it with creatine there'd be no way for me to know which one is benefiting me. Tingling? Lol.

Also, do you guys still use creatine while cutting?

And Behemoth, when would be a more fitting time to eat bananas then?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-22-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Lifting Journal