The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    House Lannister
    To answer the DL question, I don't think it's that unusual. To me, it always seems like some people are better at repping heavier weights, but then their maxes aren't that great, and visa-versa. Other people will have a very high max and a comparatively lower 5rm or 10rm. It's all pretty individual.

Yeah, that's not unusual. Good workout though Fix. Impressive deadlifts!! It seems like that might be your strongest lift. Correct me if I'm wrong. Deadlifts have always been my sweet spot too.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 05-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Glad to see you doing the one arm standing presses, that's one movement I have yet to add into the mix.

Great overall effort Fix.
    Last edited by Coke; 05-26-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Banned
    nice lifting

and no i dont think thats odd.

also fix, you really did an outstanding job on that recomp. very good work... are you still going to bulk?
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-27-2010 at 03:54 AM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    To answer the DL question, I don't think it's that unusual. To me, it always seems like some people are better at repping heavier weights, but then their maxes aren't that great, and visa-versa. Other people will have a very high max and a comparatively lower 5rm or 10rm. It's all pretty individual.
    Hm, alright cool. I suppose I'm okay with that

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713 View Post
    Yeah, that's not unusual. Good workout though Fix. Impressive deadlifts!! It seems like that might be your strongest lift. Correct me if I'm wrong. Deadlifts have always been my sweet spot too.
    Thanks bro. Yeah deads have always been where it's at for me. That's cool we that we share the passion and fury of deads haha. What was your old max btw?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Glad to see you doing the one arm standing presses, that's one movement I have yet to add into the mix.

Great overall effort Fix.
    Thanks man. Yeah, for some reason I really like it. I'll venture into heavy BB pressing one day but for now this'll have to do (have some rotator cuff issues actually)

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice lifting

and no i dont think thats odd.

also fix, you really did an outstanding job on that recomp. very good work... are you still going to bulk?
    Hey thanks dude. It's definitely been a focus in my life these past several months. Yeah, I am still keepin' the bulk on. Didn't mean to make it sound otherwise. Ideally I'd like to be a lean 170 lbs. give or take. Basically my plan is to slow/clean bulk it to 165 for now.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

5/28/10

Squats (tapped my ass on a makeshift box roughly 9.25" off the floor)
    hip warmup, 45 x a bunch of various depth tests, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 155 x 2, 185 x 1
    -215 x 4
    -215 x 4
    -215 x 2 (failed on rep 3)

Damn. So I measured my depth the best way I can without using a camcorder. So, my ass taps a box that I made out of plates that is about 9.25" high. Bar is high on my back. Feet are slightly wider than shoulder width, toes pointing out. My height is 5'7".

Flat BB Bench
    cuff warmup, 45 x 12, 95 x 6, 135 x 5, 155 x 3
    -175 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -175 x 5 [+5 lbs]
    -175 x 10 (last few were assisted) [+5 lbs, +3ish reps]

At first I was ecstatic for having tore up this bench weight, but looking back, I believe my spotter was being a tad overzealous in his spotting. He had his hands always touching the bar throughout the sets, and if I showed any sign of struggle I think he slightly helped me up. It was my fault though for not being clear with him when asking for a spot. He was a very nice guy and only had the best intentions of lending a helping hand. I've just re-learned my lesson though that I need to be very clear with spotters and tell them to not touch the bar unless I for the life of me cannot get it up.

Decline Sit-ups
    -BW x 12
    -BW+5 x 12
    -BW+5 x 12

*Burpees done immediately after Chinups, rest time between each set of Chins/Burpees was adequate
    Chinups
    -BW+5 x 9
    -BW+5 x 9
    -BW x 6.5

Burpees: x15, x18, x15

Chinup Question: I really think I need to switch up my method of attack with these Chinups. Perhaps it's possible that my muscles in general are just crappy at enduring through multiple high-rep sets, so maybe I need to back off the reps and train heavier chins of no more than 5-rep sets or something. Maybe even back off the volume and only do 2 sets? I feel like I could possibly make gains with the first two sets, but by set three I'm always beat to hell.

Any input at all with Chin progression would be appreciated.

Squat question: Currently I Squat Monday, Deadlift Wednesday, and Squat again Friday. Each week. It seems that I will hit a +5 lb PR with my Monday Squats, my Deadlifts will be fine (sometimes PR-ing), and then by the time Friday rolls around it seems I am a bit more fatigued than I'd like to be, and I end up failing my planned reps for Friday Squats (I shoot for a PR of +5 lbs each time I squat). Then on Monday I hit the Squat reps I planned on Monday. So it's almost like Friday is my day to get used to the heavier weight, fail at it, then on Monday I nail it (sort of). Is that even an effective plan or should I just plan on either going for lower reps on Friday or a lighter weight and higher reps?

Any Squatting input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-28-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

House Lannister
    Solid, solid workout. Bench is looking good. I hate overzealous spotters, I always tell any spotters I have to not help me unless it's on my throat. Gets the point across haha.

for the chinup question, I would definitely stop supersetting with burpees. TBH, I don't really think you need the burpees in there at all. It'd be a difficult exercise to progress in, unless you plan on doing more and more and more reps each time, so why not just drop em? I would just straight set the chinups with longer rest periods. Hit BWx10 for sets across if possible, then do some weighted chins. That would be much more effective I think.

Squat question--I think what you're doing is not as different as what I was doing on Madcow. Madcow basicallly had a monday-hyper, wed-deload, and friday-strength setup. Basically, on Friday, you would increase the weight on your final work set of squats by 5lbs and try to hit three reps. That following monday, with the same weight you would hit Friday's weight for 5 reps, then Wednesday would be a deload (less sets/reps/weight) day for squats and a heavy deads session instead. I found that it worked pretty well for progression and it always gave you a PR to look forward to, whether it was in Deads or Squats. I think what you are doing is pretty similar, so it may not be a bad idea to either continue what you or doing or start doing Madcow full time. I actually really liked the program when I was on it. It's pretty quick (usually a 1h15min workout tops, with warm up and cool down and extra accessory work), focuses on strength, and sticks with the big movements. It might be worth a try?

How are you feeling on squats? Got more in you to go or are you approaching a deload?

Hey Fix, I used to giggle because you would ask a MILLION questions. We've seen guys in the past that ask too many questions, get confused, and make ZERO progress. I have to tell you that it's very refreshing to see somebody actually put all those questions/answers to good use. Keep up the good work man.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thought I'd drop in and tell you our numbers are almost exactly the same for all 3 lifts currently. This will be good for a little friendly competition.

With regards to chin-ups, I do anything from 100+ reps with BW to heavy weighted ones under 5 reps. IMO, the key to progress with chins and develop width in your back is volume. I've made some great progress lately which I haven't been able to do in a while every since I really pushed myself not just physically, but mentally with these 100 rep chins. Depending on your strength, do 1 rep every x seconds until you hit 100. It's the most effective and efficient way to do as many body weight chins in the shortest amount of time. If you choose 1 rep every 10 seconds, in 16:40 you will have completed 100 reps. It's a great way to test your mental strength, too! Oh, and ditch the ****ing burpees!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

You can always drop the Friday squats, but if that's not gonna happen, just do them a whole lot lighter than you would normally do - then really go for it on Monday squat day. I did the similar thing with my benching a while back and it worked pretty good.

I agree with coke, you could drop the weights on Friday. Work on form, and good reps during that time. When I squat two days a week, I have a heavy/low rep day, and a lighter/high rep day. Here lately though it's like every day is a light weight day, ha. Workouts looking great as always man, great progress.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Solid, solid workout. Bench is looking good. I hate overzealous spotters, I always tell any spotters I have to not help me unless it's on my throat. Gets the point across haha.

for the chinup question, I would definitely stop supersetting with burpees. TBH, I don't really think you need the burpees in there at all. It'd be a difficult exercise to progress in, unless you plan on doing more and more and more reps each time, so why not just drop em? I would just straight set the chinups with longer rest periods. Hit BWx10 for sets across if possible, then do some weighted chins. That would be much more effective I think.

Squat question--I think what you're doing is not as different as what I was doing on Madcow. Madcow basicallly had a monday-hyper, wed-deload, and friday-strength setup. Basically, on Friday, you would increase the weight on your final work set of squats by 5lbs and try to hit three reps. That following monday, with the same weight you would hit Friday's weight for 5 reps, then Wednesday would be a deload (less sets/reps/weight) day for squats and a heavy deads session instead. I found that it worked pretty well for progression and it always gave you a PR to look forward to, whether it was in Deads or Squats. I think what you are doing is pretty similar, so it may not be a bad idea to either continue what you or doing or start doing Madcow full time. I actually really liked the program when I was on it. It's pretty quick (usually a 1h15min workout tops, with warm up and cool down and extra accessory work), focuses on strength, and sticks with the big movements. It might be worth a try?

How are you feeling on squats? Got more in you to go or are you approaching a deload?
    Thanks bro. Yeah sounds like a good plan with the spotters XD

Burpees are done after the chins for a metabolic effect. I have been increasing reps a bit how I see fit. I take full rest afterward before my next chin set, and in a muscular sense they work different muscles, so I don't really see a problem there to be honest. I am doing essentially the same thing with Dips, but my Dips are dominating progression-wise lol.

Hm, interesting take on the Squats. Perhaps I will just go in on Fridays with that in mind rather than trying to PR with 5 reps and fail and feel like pewp. I kind of don't like squatting before deads, but I suppose a lighter/dynamic/deload kind of squat wouldn't hurt. And whenever I deload with squats and work my way back up, I never feel as if I really accomplished anything and the working weight at my breaking point feels just as hard as it did before. I don't know why

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Hey Fix, I used to giggle because you would ask a MILLION questions. We've seen guys in the past that ask too many questions, get confused, and make ZERO progress. I have to tell you that it's very refreshing to see somebody actually put all those questions/answers to good use. Keep up the good work man.
    Thanks man. That definitely happens to me more than it should though. I get so caught up in what the best way of doing something is that I half the time don't even end up doing it lol. I definitely will not let that happen with this though

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Thought I'd drop in and tell you our numbers are almost exactly the same for all 3 lifts currently. This will be good for a little friendly competition.

With regards to chin-ups, I do anything from 100+ reps with BW to heavy weighted ones under 5 reps. IMO, the key to progress with chins and develop width in your back is volume. I've made some great progress lately which I haven't been able to do in a while every since I really pushed myself not just physically, but mentally with these 100 rep chins. Depending on your strength, do 1 rep every x seconds until you hit 100. It's the most effective and efficient way to do as many body weight chins in the shortest amount of time. If you choose 1 rep every 10 seconds, in 16:40 you will have completed 100 reps. It's a great way to test your mental strength, too! Oh, and ditch the ****ing burpees!
    Dang dude. Well, you seem to have me on the squat and bench though. I haven't 1RM'd those in a little while though so hopefully they are up a decent amount. I was gonna go for a 395 Deadlift this Wednesday but perhaps I'll just go for 400 instead just so that I can say I'm 5 lbs ahead!

Hm, I may have to try that with Chins. Do you ever implement that kind of thing with weighted Chins and maybe do a bit less reps?

I LOVE BURPEES! lol

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    You can always drop the Friday squats, but if that's not gonna happen, just do them a whole lot lighter than you would normally do - then really go for it on Monday squat day. I did the similar thing with my benching a while back and it worked pretty good.
    Alright I will definitely have to do something like that. Either I will drop the weight or drop the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I agree with coke, you could drop the weights on Friday. Work on form, and good reps during that time. When I squat two days a week, I have a heavy/low rep day, and a lighter/high rep day. Here lately though it's like every day is a light weight day, ha. Workouts looking great as always man, great progress.
    Thanks man. Yeah good form is a must. I'm always focusing on that really. I probably spend 40 minutes in the squat rack sometimes just warming up and making sure my form is ideal, only working up to 3 work sets by the end lol.
    Lifting Journal

Oh and also:

morning weight: 160 lbs
    Lifting Journal

I wannabebig!
    regarding the dl, that seems pretty normal... your squat seems awfully low though compared to your deadlift?

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Oh and also:

morning weight: 160 lbs

Dang dude. Well, you seem to have me on the squat and bench though. I haven't 1RM'd those in a little while though so hopefully they are up a decent amount. I was gonna go for a 395 Deadlift this Wednesday but perhaps I'll just go for 400 instead just so that I can say I'm 5 lbs ahead!

Hm, I may have to try that with Chins. Do you ever implement that kind of thing with weighted Chins and maybe do a bit less reps?

I LOVE BURPEES! lol
    Those numbers are my PRs, not my current strength. My raw squat is around 260-270 ATM. And my bench is right around 210. I'm going for a 405 deadlift either this Friday or next Friday. So attempt 400 all you want!

I don't do nearly as many reps with weighted chins for obvious reasons, but I tend to do a pyramid style then a back off set or two. Mixing those two in my opinion, is the best way to progress with this exercise and best for development.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    regarding the dl, that seems pretty normal... your squat seems awfully low though compared to your deadlift?
    Yeah it does. I think why though is because with squats, I seem to be doing everything I can to increase ROM and make the exercise harder (doing high-bar deep squats down to a box that is about 9.25" off the ground), but with Deads I am doing everything I can to decrease ROM and allow me to lift more (basically switching to Sumo and trying to take advantage of the mechanical advantages there). Cuz the thing is I start with my butt pretty low with Deads so it really takes glute/ham activation which is what happens at the bottom of Squats. Perhaps my posterior is a bit stronger than my anterior though.

Those numbers are my PRs, not my current strength. My raw squat is around 260-270 ATM. And my bench is right around 210. I'm going for a 405 deadlift either this Friday or next Friday. So attempt 400 all you want!

I don't do nearly as many reps with weighted chins for obvious reasons, but I tend to do a pyramid style then a back off set or two. Mixing those two in my opinion, is the best way to progress with this exercise and best for development.
    Damn you 405. I might have to go for that now

So, what would be an example of how you might pyramid doing weighted chins?
    Lifting Journal

Check my journal, that's the easiest way especially since I switch it up all the time. I think last time I did:

BWx5
    BWx10
    25x10
    45x6
    70x3
    45x6
    25x11

Banned
    i wouldnt drop the friday squats... drop the weight. your mon/fri squat bar weight is the same right? 5lbs per session or 10lbs per week is a big increase per week. i would take the friday weight down to like 80-85% of your 5rm or so... just my opinion though

as far as chins, i like pyramiding. but i like alternating weighted and unweighted sets more. im convinced ive gotten better development out of more volume on the chins, which is why i do so. the alternation preserves some endurance and lets me rest a little longer between heavier sets

having said that, great workout & great weigh-in. keep it up man

Check my journal, that's the easiest way especially since I switch it up all the time. I think last time I did:

BWx5
    BWx10
    25x10
    45x6
    70x3
    45x6
    25x11
    Dang, 3 @ +70 is awesome! You've got great chinning strength!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    i wouldnt drop the friday squats... drop the weight. your mon/fri squat bar weight is the same right? 5lbs per session or 10lbs per week is a big increase per week. i would take the friday weight down to like 80-85% of your 5rm or so... just my opinion though

as far as chins, i like pyramiding. but i like alternating weighted and unweighted sets more. im convinced ive gotten better development out of more volume on the chins, which is why i do so. the alternation preserves some endurance and lets me rest a little longer between heavier sets

having said that, great workout & great weigh-in. keep it up man
    Alright cool, thanks man.
    Lifting Journal

5/31/10 Training
    -As far as training today goes, I had the opportunity to hang out with some cute girls I met yesterday who will only be in town for a few more days, and quite frankly I'll probably never see them again afterwards. The gym on the other hand will always be here, so as dedicated as I like to think I am, I didn't even really hesitate to make the decision to skip the gym (which closed @ 5:00 pm due to the holiday). Anyway... I enjoyed myself, and I'm gonna probably go hang out with them again later tonight. Peace guys.
    Lifting Journal

good decision man
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    good decision man

Tonight ended pretty crappy though. Was supposed to meet back up with the girls and some other people tonight, but some of them went to bed at like 8:30 pm (wtf) and the others just did their own thing. So I just called up some other dudes and drove around and basically did nothing, thinking about this girl the whole time. Lame.

When I got home just now I was tempted to eat a bunch of **** (candies, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc.) because of how disappointed I felt. I had a piece of chocolate in my hand and was about to start my feast but then just thought -- this will only end up making me feel even ****tier once I'm done eating it, especially tomorrow morning upon waking up. So I put it back. Good lesson for me to learn I suppose.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'm gonna do what should've been today's workout, and just shift my M-W-F workouts to T-Th-S for this week, and put two cardio sessions on W and F. Will pick my Saturday sprints back up next week when I go back to M-W-F lifting.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-31-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister

Tonight ended pretty crappy though. Was supposed to meet back up with the girls and some other people tonight, but some of them went to bed at like 8:30 pm (wtf) and the others just did their own thing. So I just called up some other dudes and drove around and basically did nothing, thinking about this girl the whole time. Lame.
    Translation: Some of them went to go get high and drunk and **** some other dudes while they were crunk.

I'm a jackass, can't help it. :/

House Lannister
    On a serious note, Michael, I don't know how much or how little poon you get, but if there was one girl in particular you were really digging, you shoulda made a move kid! Get away from the group somehow by just asking her if she wants to go do something else. If she's digging you, she'll go. You live in california so there has to be a damn beach or other cool setting somewhere to take a girl too. If I were you, I woulda gone skinny dipping in some pool or shark-infested ocean or something. You're jacked enough to pull it off haha. Hell, I woulda just asked her to get out of here if I just wanted to get some. I mean, she was leaving town soon, right? Talk about no strings attached fun haha...

In other words, **** bitches git money.