The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Water to loosen bench shirt

Quick question when it comes to water to help get a little more room out of your bench shirt?

do you soak it 24 hours then put it on

do you just get it wet and put it on right away

do you let it dry

any responses would be appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Depends on where it's tight. If it's the arms wedge a small plate or a ball in there, wet the fabric and work it in some more. Then let it dry.
    If it's the chest, fill up a spray bottle with water. Put on the shirt, spray the chest heavily and take some reps in it.

If I find a shirt is too tight or I'm having difficulty, I just soak the chest plate, collar, and the seams on the arms under a faucet before training.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    If I find a shirt is too tight or I'm having difficulty, I just soak the chest plate, collar, and the seams on the arms under a faucet before training.
    This is what I've done.

Usually only if I'm really struggling with the last inch or two. Farther than that, wetting the shirt down isn't going to help. Its just too tight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I like to start spraying and add a little bit each set to avoid over wetting the shirt and making it too loose.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I agree with scott. spray it some during the workout with some warm water. I think i read a cpl years ago that scott pretty much ruined a shirt by soaking it to much. I may be wrong though

I have absolutely soaked many shirts and I've never ruined one of them. I'll never forget a few years ago I was wetting Tee Tee's shirt at either IPA nationals or worlds and Shawn Lattimer said "Good, wet the shirt down, you're taking all the strength out of it." Tee nailed his first 900 that day. But then again, what do we know.

All due respect to Scott, he does have a better equipped bench on the books than I do. However, I am hoping to rectify that.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Yeah I can't really imagine how wetting it's going to ruin a shirt.

I guess if it was a denim, but man, you'd really have to have that thing soaking wet for the fibers so much that they'd pull apart

Now, if someone wet a shirt a lot, then just threw it in their bag, or a corner of the gym and didn't let it dry out properly, that would certainly contribute - speaking of a denim. Polys I just don't see it

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

one step futher

I'll even say that wetting a shirt does not ruin it, and it does not take any pop out of it.

Travis made a great point, about not letting it dry right, you'd be surprised how many guys I see throw their soaking wet sweat soaked shirt in their gym back after benching and leave it there till next bench day. Sweat is defiantly not good for the fibers....salt.

professional psychopath
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Now, if someone wet a shirt a lot, then just threw it in their bag, or a corner of the gym and didn't let it dry out properly, that would certainly contribute
    It also creates a raunchy funk. Speaking from experience on this one.
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

Yes I agree gentlemen, you must care for you gear. I never leave a wet or sweaty shirt in my gym bag. I always hang them on something in the garage to dry. I always think some things go without saying, but clearly they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yes I agree gentlemen, you must care for you gear. I never leave a wet or sweaty shirt in my gym bag. I always hang them on something in the garage to dry. I always think some things go without saying, but clearly they don't.
    I was actually completely agreeing with you.

sometimes I type like I am thinking out loud I guess lol. I was just struggling to come up with a reason as to how a shirt could be ruined by wetting it down.

My mistake. Poor communicative skills on my part

I have wet shirts down in the past as well. I will say that after I soaked one in a meet...it wasnt the same as before. It seemed to never give me the same pop, but I was guilty(and still am) of just throwing it in my bag until next bench day, so that may be why lol

Vin, I am one of those people you just have to tell I guess lol I always just throw my shirt in my bag, but I usually dont sweat a lot in it. I always take my shirt off between lifts in training and in meets. I cant stand to sit in a shirt....

I will pay more attention in the future to airing out my shirts.....I have been accused of my shirts smelling a bit funky lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden