The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: which Squat Bar

which Squat Bar

I am looking for a bar that will save my shoulders on squat as well as hit the movement different than a traditional olympic bar.

I have read alot of Pro's on a Safety Squat bar.....Leaning toward that
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=212&pid=10

But also read some benefit to a Buffalo bar
    http://ironmind-store.com/Buffalo-Ba...ductinfo/1270/

or even the rackable cambered bar.....
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=212&pid=259

what is the rackable cambered bar to replace...the buffalo bar...as these are considered a cambered bar too right? So do the buffalo bars not work right in a normal sqaut rack?? The rackable cambered bar basically seems like a SS bar w/o the handles?

Thanks
    Last edited by blownby; 02-10-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the buff bar isnt going to change the movement much from a straight bar just take some stress off the shoulders...great bar....the ssb is great for someone that bends over alot during there squat...teaches they to try and stay more up rite or it will straight crush you. it also takes the stress off the shoulders....now the giant camber bar is more for someone that gets loose during the squat....its hard to be explosive with this bar cause it will swing all over the place. and it also take stress off the shoulders...so depending on your certain weakness is which bar you would pick

They are all 3 pretty different.

The SSB I think would be your best bet. Its probably the hardest and what will carryover more/differently to your lifts.

The buffalo just has a slight camber, a "Bow" if you will. Just a few inches, but eases the stress on the shoulders a bit vs. a straight bar.

The cambered bar has a much bigger camber (14 inches or so), and it swings making it very hard to stay tight, and puts the weight a little in front of you. Its similar to a SSB in that sense. I've heard the rackable cambered bar is not as effective as the giant cambered bar, which only fits in a monolift.

The SSB sits the weight up pretty high and in front of you, so it makes it very hard to keep your arch.

So unless you have very weak abs, I'd say go with the SSB. I think it'll relieve the pressure on your shoulders the most as well.

I understand your pain though, squatting exclusively with a straight bar sucks.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

If anything my lower back could use some strengthing. If i fail squating it is usually due to me falling forward. Also my weakpoint on dead is at the floor & tends to happend due to a rounding of my lower back.

Sound like the SS bar as i was thinking will be my best choice.

SSB for sure. Squat with it, and do goodmornings with it. They should both help you tremendously, as well as give your shoulders a nice break
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

My take on the bars:

SSB: is a great bar. It will save your shoulders, but it can cause neck pain if you don't get into it right. I have heard stories of people seperating their shoulders using an SSB with really heavy weights (if I remember right Louie Simmons is one of these people), but I haven't actually seen it.

Buffalo Bar: isn't going to change your angles that much than a regular squat bar. It will be a little easier on the shoulders though

14 inch cambered bar--I'm specifically referring to a "giant" cambered bar, not the rackable cambered bar that Elitefts sells. I think this bar is actually the easiest on my shoulders because I can keep my hands down with it. That said, the "rackable" 14 inch cambered bar tore my shoulders up. I'm a bigger guy, the rackable cambered bar is too narrow for me to get into comfortably without twisting the crap out of my shoulders. The rackable cambered bar I've got is a very well made bar, but I finally ended up getting pissed at it because it was so uncomfortable for me and taking it to the welder to have the camber moved out 4 inches on either side. This makes it more like a "giant" cambered bar, but it can still be used in a power rack, I just have to watch I don't smash my fingers.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Good mornings with an SSB are evil..... ;-)
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Thanks all for the input....any suggestions as which one to get? Also anyone know if they usually have any down at Arnold, since i will be there?

I can drive about 2 hrs and grab one of these? but only 1000# test....$250 plus some gas money or shipped for $350
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0210.html

or can get the 1500# test one shipped for $417

Or i can get this 1500# test one shipped for $397
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Safety...5899815&sr=8-2

Or i can get Elite 1500# Bar for $420 shipped or just drive there & get it for $355 after Arnold
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=212&pid=10

Or get this other one Elite makes for $399 but has to be shipped...$470
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=212&pid=1156

Ideas input...suggestions....originally was looking at the $250 for the first one.....trying to save money but don't want junk......
    Last edited by blownby; 02-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Do not buy the SSB from New York Barbell. The SSB from NYBB is not designed correctly and the picth of the camber is at the wrong angle. It puts a lot of stress on your neck. There Giant Cambered bar is OK, although it lacks center knurling (I use athletic tape over the center). The Rackable Cambered Bar sucks if you like to grip the bar wide and I find gripping the camber in closer puts some stress back on my shoulders.. I have the Yoke Bar from EFS and the GCB from NYBB and I like both. The Buffalo Bar from NYBB I hear is good, but I have never found the bar to relieve the stress on my shoulder substantially.