The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Deadlifting routine for over 400 DLers

What routine do you use and why? Right now I am just doing ramping 3 reppers up to a 1 or 2 RM every week. I am doing this just to work back up to my old max as I was out for 6 weeks with an injury. I am almost back up to par and was curious what some of the big DLers do. I plan to go medium squat/heavy DL on wednesdays and heavy squats on Sundays.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

5-3-1 nuff said.
    Andrew
    Height 6'8 Weight 310 and a little chubby. goal... leaner 310ish
    5-3-1 program started September 2009
    Bests as of 2/20/10 (workout bests)
    Squat - 445 (375x12)
    Bench -320 315x2(3/29/2010 post workout)
    Dead - 445 (495 hitched) (435x8 4/3/10)

Wannabebig Member
    FRM every other week on heavy days, rack pulls on days you don't do FRM. And FRM dynamic pulls every week on dynmaic days.
    Impossible is an option, not a fact.
    Any man can hold a girl by her hand, but it takes an ELITE to hold her by her feet.

When 400 were my top sets, I would pull off the rack and switch over off the floor bi-weekly. The use of bands/chains were also helpful. An example of what I did were:

Week 1: avg. bands off floor
    Week 2: rack pulls
    Week 3: speed pulls
    Week 4: rack pulls
    Week 5: reverse bands off floor

they were either singles, doubles and sometimes triples. nothing was set in stone. I came into the gym with what I felt like doing. Be realistic and don't be lazy pulling off the pins all the time. are you pulling sumo or conventional?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    When 400 were my top sets, I would pull off the rack and switch over off the floor bi-weekly. The use of bands/chains were also helpful. An example of what I did were:

Week 1: avg. bands off floor
    Week 2: rack pulls
    Week 3: speed pulls
    Week 4: rack pulls
    Week 5: reverse bands off floor

they were either singles, doubles and sometimes triples. nothing was set in stone. I came into the gym with what I felt like doing. Be realistic and don't be lazy pulling off the pins all the time. are you pulling sumo or conventional?
    I have never pulled anything except off the floor, and I pull conventional. Actually, I didnt even train them consistently at all (maybe once a month) and got all the way up to 430 for a couple solid reps. My squats really carried over. But now I want to train them directly and see if I can get to 500 in a couple of months.

so my 3x3x330 is wrong?

I noticed most members like to go very low reps with heavy weights on DL
    Last edited by hellagrant; 02-10-2010 at 02:27 PM.

I'll be starting 531 next month. Currently, I basically pyramid up in weight as reps decrease. I work up to heavy singles. Accessory
    Work includes reverse hypers, etc.

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/allw...iftprogram.php

not a bad program. Id suggest it. Right now basically, I personally am just beating up sticking points, and going for max attempts, w/ bands, chains, rack pulls, and deficits.
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

I've been doing 5-3-1 for the past 14 months. It's been working well. I mostly pulled in the suit but then sort of stalled so have been doing more raw lately and it's helped.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

The best 3 programs I ever did for my DL were
    1. 5-3-1
    2. Doing 3s and adding weight each week.
    3. Westside with DL (DL, Rack pull, and Deficit DL) 3 weeks as the Max Effort and Squatting after. Then on 4th week Max Effort Squat.

I know from experience that DL does not respond to high volume for me. I am usually a 1 and done top set kind of guy.

My deadlift isnt over 400 but heavy sets of 3-5 have really helped my deadlift. I know other members on here that have 400+pulls that like the heavy sets of 3-5 to improve their deads also.

In addition to the aforementioned, dont forget to do your accessory work for the DL... Good mornings, pull-thru's, GHR, hyper extensions, for lower-back.

Hvy. shrugs, DB rows, weighted pull-ups, and the like for mid-upper back, have really helped my DL when I had sticking points.

As far as DL'ing, I only pull approx. once a month when I'm not preping for a meet... About 10-12 weeks out I start pulling every week 3-on 1-off schedule. Usually, consist of hvy. DL / light sqaut followed by hvy. sqaut/ speed DL w/ bands the next the next week. Similar to what ironwill routine looks like...

Good luck w/ the comeback!

Banned
    Just had a weird, but great workout.

Took my results, b vitamins, 1 nitor, and ate a banana about 30 mins before heading to the gym. I do my 10 minute warmup then hit the bench...I did my 135 warmup and it felt fine but when I put 225 on it felt heavy....normally 225 feels the same as 135. I was pissed because I was going for a PR today and felt like ****. Nonetheless I kept going anyway...did a 245 triple, felt heavy. A 265 double...felt heavy as ****. Did a 275 single...barely moved it. So then I decided to put 295 on the bar and just pulled it out of the rack and really concentrated on the weight pressing down on my lats/upper back, just to see if my problem was a form issue. I pull the 295 out, really keeping my body tight..let it sit there for a second then rerack it. No way im going for 295 without a spotter . My previous max up to this point was 280....so I put 280 on to see if I could still do it. I pull it out of the rack and really keep my body tight and ended up pressing it for an easy double. Form is everything.

Next I did deadlifts. Warmed up with 225 x 5. 315 x 5. On the 315 set, I felt a lot of pressure on my back and I think it was because I wasnt breathing and staying tight enough. I was really short of breath for some reason (probably because of the nitor). So I layed down on a mat for 5 minutes and let my heart rate come back to normal. After this, I felt AMAZING. I put 365 on, got an EASY triple. Put 405 on, EASY triple. Then I did two singles, 425...rested a minute then did a relatively easy 435. I felt I easily had a 450 in me today but I didnt want to push it as I barely could walk 5 weeks ago.

I am going to stick with this DL workout until I really hit a plateau, then I will try some of the suggestions on here. Thanks for the replies . Going to go for a 450 single next week. My goal is 500 pounds in 3 months.

Wannabebig New Member
    The Coan deadlift program did wonders for me. I had been stuck at 485 for awhile using a straightforward version of a Westside/conjugate template, and was overdue for punching through to the next level. One very diligent cycle of Coan took me to 1x550.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    5-3-1 nuff said.
    agreed
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes