Thread: Dave Tate instructional bench press video

Dave Tate instructional bench press video

In his video at about 7:56 Tate states the problem that your average gym goer does with the bench press is they really lower the elbows in relation to the bench -- I couldn't tell if it was because they are lacking the arch or is it where they bring the bar down to on their chest?

He also states that how you move the bar, obviously, affects what muscles you're targeting. I notice when I bench sometimes my anterior delts begin to burn a lot... proper movement of the bar is from about nipple line and then you drive it above to eye level? I think I've been just trying to bench as vertical as possible... boy I have a lot to learn. Thanks!

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0
    Last edited by fpr; 02-13-2010 at 02:11 AM.

oof yeah I actually got MANY tips from this video and my bench shot up. Dave Tate is the man.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Re-post, but a great video non the less.

Dave brings it back to the basics, a lot of people need to focus on their form and technique as their main priority.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

This video was very helpful to me when I first saw it... After working on my technique I found my presses to be so much more stable and controlled...

I wish I could put the video on all the tv's at my gym for everybody to see!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor. - Lamb Of God

I notice something new almost everytime. Last thing I got was in turning or flaring the elbows out on the way up...Great stuff.

ive seen this video before, im trying more and more to get proper bench form. Its pretty hard without a good trainer.

Great training video!!! I learned a lot watching Daves vids... Loved the one liners too!

Yeah I learn new stuff on my technique it seems like every week. I am currently working on squeezing my upper back as I am lowering the bar which seems to help off my chest.

I posted the video because I had questions about it -- can anyone answer them from my OP?

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    I posted the video because I had questions about it -- can anyone answer them from my OP?
    At that point he is illustrating if you bench wrongly like the typical gym goer where there is a lot of strain of the shoulders, the traps are not tight, it is pretty much self-explanatory unless you thought this is how you should bench. If you are having problems even after watching Dave Tate's video, post your own video of how you get your "anterior delts burning" after benching correctly.