The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Raw Demon

Recovering from heavy training?

For the past few months I've been ridiculously sluggish and beat up after my heavy squat and deadlift training sessions. My muscles are beat to hell and it really puts a damper on my day. Do you guys have any supplement/recovery modalities to help sqush the PWO sluggishness?

I am aware of the active recovery preached by Westside and I do perform active recovery work but I'm just 14 hours past my workout now and I feel like the walking dead. Any help??? Thanks
    Andrew Cohn
    USAPL Raw
    Squat: 501
    Bench: 341
    Deadlift:611

Total: 1433

Currently plumping up for the 220's!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sometimes I just take a nap, or get to bed early, or I might load up on protein and fat, or do both. Good fat though, so maybe 75g protein shake with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Andrew, how many times a week do you train? If your diet and rest are on target (protein for muscle growth and for recovery, carbohydrates to give you the fuel to train and for recovery), it may just be a case of not giving your body the time it needs to heal itself between workouts. Sometimes 1-2 days just isn't enough, particularly if you're pushing very hard in the gym.

Supplement wise here is what helps me with recovery...

At large EFS twice a day (morning & night)
    Post workout shake - 2 scoops of Results 1 scope of Nitrean
    Before bed i take melatonin to help sleep

I'll also do traction work on the reverse hyper and then foam roll and stretch post workout.
    Last edited by AJ Roberts; 02-12-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Raw Demon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Andrew, how many times a week do you train? If your diet and rest are on target (protein for muscle growth and for recovery, carbohydrates to give you the fuel to train and for recovery), it may just be a case of not giving your body the time it needs to heal itself between workouts. Sometimes 1-2 days just isn't enough, particularly if you're pushing very hard in the gym.
    I generally train 4 days a week, this week has been cut down to 3 days due to all the damn snow. Yesterday had to be a combination session so I deadlifted, military press and shoulder assistance (yea I know I'm not to bright!). But the soreness and general achy fatigue seems to occur after every workout these days.

I'll try the melatonin and healthy fat idea. I know I am lacking on the healthy fats so that may help too. Thanks guys
    Andrew Cohn
    USAPL Raw

Garage Lifter
    Contrast Showers?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    Have you gotten stronger over these "last few months?" If not, have you considered building restoration weeks into your program? Usually when someone is complaining on these boards about feeling beat up the replies are centered around needing to back off for a week or more and work your way back up...

Raw Demon
    I have gotten considerably stronger during these last few months (5 rep squat from 345x5 to 405x5 and max DL from 579 to 606) so I don't think that I am over training. If I do feel over trained, I generally just skip that day or take it super light.

Travis, I have been doing stims (Monster Lo-Card or Spike for the last few weeks on the ME squat and DL days but not for the previous few months. Diet is solid but I am cutting so that may play a role. I dont' "deload" per say, I prefer to use straight periodization using three week blocks. I wont take a down week but after the third week, I'll go back to the second week's percentage and begin another three week block. It's worked well for a long time but every year or so, I have to retool everything I do for whatever reason.

Sleep is good but AJ recommended melatonin to help with sleep so I'm gonna get on that train today. I began back on the salt baths and heating pad this weekend and that has helped tremendously after a grueling squat day on Saturday. I'll take these suggestions an combine them with the salt baths and heating pads and see where that gets me. Thanks for the responses gents.

BlownBy: I'll look forward to meeting you and competing against you at the Raw Challenge.
    Andrew Cohn
    USAPL Raw

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Andrew,

I also train/compete naturally and have experienced some of the same things with regard to fatigue.

Some things that you can do to increase recovery:

Lifestyle - Increase Sleep, Add contrast showers, massage.
    Training - Active recovery, stretching, more frequent de-load.
    Supplements / Diet - Additional protein, calories, and ETS (ZMA/Microlactin) - helps with DOMs and sleep.

I have had to change my recovery practices as I built strength. Moderating stress and being consistent with eating/sleeping seem to be the most important, and then supplements like a good PWO shake and ETS give you an extra boost as well.

Hope this helps!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cohn View Post
    I have gotten considerably stronger during these last few months (5 rep squat from 345x5 to 405x5 and max DL from 579 to 606) so I don't think that I am over training. If I do feel over trained, I generally just skip that day or take it super light.

Epic progress is epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

All I had to read was "cutting."

That's why you feel run down. You are trying to lift the same weights or heavier weights at a lower bodyweight.

Make sure to eat enough to feel good.

If you don't want to cut out a training day you can always go to an eight day week. Carry the 4th day of week one over to Monday on week two. Train MWF. I've seen this work well for people that need more recovery time.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Are you taking stimulants pre workout? Sometimes when people "crash" comming off these, that's where the sluggishness comes from.

Overdoing the stims can really hamper the recovery because your body is pushing so hard each session

What does your diet look like? Are you cutting?

When was the last time you deloaded?

I do tons of active recovery stuff. I'm always doing something on my upper body to help it recover, even if it's a lower day, but admittedly I have that advantage as a bench only competitor. Plus I work in the gym all day so it's easy to spend 10min here, 15min there etc. Find what works for you though. You may just need more sleep even.

How much sleep are you getting on average?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Sleep

Large of proteins around the time you train.

ETS

Contrast showers

Waving your volume and intensity

Active recovery
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Beiung a full power guy also I def feel your pain. Im a big fan of the stick and foam roller. Hit these after your workout then the next day to get any soreness out. And as most said but Ill reiterate. ETS and Opticen from Atlarge. Yuu have to have your supplementation right or it wont matter what recovery tools you use. But to be honest if your killing it in the gym. Your gonna hurt. I squatted thursday night and my legs still hurt. You may just need a tune up GPP wise. Once I started hitting the cardio 3-4 times a week. I saw a huge difference in my recovery time.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Contrast showers
    Increased conditioning work
    Ice
    Rest
    Heatlhy diet
    AtLartgeNutrion's ETS

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    I noticed that your usapl and raw. So if your all natural like me, you may need to cut it down to 3 days a week training. I did that and i felt way better. I even do 2 days alot of weeks and i've made huge gains since doing that. Everyone is different but i might try lowering your volume until you hit the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by themavinator View Post
    I noticed that your usapl and raw. So if your all natural like me, you may need to cut it down to 3 days a week training. I did that and i felt way better. I even do 2 days alot of weeks and i've made huge gains since doing that. Everyone is different but i might try lowering your volume until you hit the sweet spot.
    I agree with this, I have cut my training down to 3 days a week and I feel better than I have in a long time. Also I started doing Squats and Dead's on the same day and I feel I am getting better recovery by doing them togeather like that, and then letting the muscles rest a whole week before hitting them again. But like someone above said you are gonna be sore regardless of what you do.

More sleep
    Ice
    Heating pad
    Massage
    these help with my recovery
    Last edited by muscle_g; 02-15-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

How fast are your DE days? Going too heavy on DE day is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Heavier is not always better. Faster is better on DE day. When you go too heavy, you start taxing yourself too much. It'll screw up your recovery. You won't be fresh for ME work, and the ME work just runs you into the ground.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron