Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I use chalk for Deadlifts?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Can someone take a quick look at this link for me and tell me if this is the proper kind of chalk I should be ordering: http://cgi.ebay.com/AAI-Gymnastics-C...#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

sorry to kind of invade, but i was going to make a similar thread and thought my quick question could be answered here;

i am going to start using chalk as my grip is the weak point in my deads (just added a day to add static holds and/or farmers walks so that should hopefully help). Is it okay to use regular chalk, or is there a special kind of chalk i should know about? By "regular" i mean the one kids use to play with as it's probably more convenient for me to get this.

I am also curious what the correct way to grip a bar is.. Today, i had a callous just waiting to burst on me and after my first working set it did, which set me back on my 2nd set and i just skipped my 3rd.

Thanks!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Can someone take a quick look at this link for me and tell me if this is the proper kind of chalk I should be ordering: http://cgi.ebay.com/AAI-Gymnastics-C...#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks.
    Bump.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

That is the chalk you want. Pretty much any chalk will work. You should be able to find it at most sporting good stores and if not then check any outdoor/adventure stores that have rock climbing gear. It's not hard to find and super cheap.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    This Is Awsome, I Was Thinking Of using Chalk for my Work outs lol Now Imma Actually go for it.
    Weight: 165lbs

Lifts: [Currently]
    BP: 205lbs(Goal:235lbs)
    Deads: 325lbs(Goal: 400lbs)
    Squats:275lbs(Goal: 300lbs)

would using regular chalk be sufficient? @ the store, they only have chalk that draws for like little kids so that's what i bought

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    would using regular chalk be sufficient? @ the store, they only have chalk that draws for like little kids so that's what i bought
    When I was in high school, I just took chalk from classrooms and used that. It doesn't work as well, but it'll get the job done. And it's less messy.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    As Runty said above, other kinds of chalk would be better and it is easy to find. You can also order it off the internet, which you obviously have access to. I bought mine for $1.50 at a rock climbing store. Chalk made for writing/art etc. is packed real tight whereas weightlifting/rock climbing chalk is packed loose so it comes off easy into your hands or container.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    As Runty said above, other kinds of chalk would be better and it is easy to find. You can also order it off the internet, which you obviously have access to. I bought mine for $1.50 at a rock climbing store. Chalk made for writing/art etc. is packed real tight whereas weightlifting/rock climbing chalk is packed loose so it comes off easy into your hands or container.
    ahh i see what you mean. I am just looking for a little boost in my grip as it only failed me on my last rep on each set last time.. Once this runs out though, i'll definitely check that out in the future. I might have to get to my gym early on friday for the chalk because there is only 1 place for barbell exercises and the curlers usually hog it.

Kind of a stupid question, but are a few paper towels enough to wipe the chalk off the bar?

Depends on the knurling on the bar... I usually use a wire brush, but a terry cloth will work fine if you push it with the grain of the knurling.