The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Too LITTLE volume?

Due to ongoing wrist and shoulder issues I am finally having treatment from a physio. He told me to stop anything that exacerbates the wrist during the treatment to let it heal. This means I can't do overhead press and probably shouldn't do bench.

Today my workout was Texas method volume day:
    Squat 5x5
    Weighted Chins 3x5
    2x8 Pec fly machine

I should have done OHP 5x5 and a couple of sets dips instead of the pec dec. Press is out because of the wrist and dips are out because of the shoulder. I did pec fly because it doesn't involve the wrist and I needed to do something!

My question is, can I get away with just doing squats, chins, deadlifts and rows? Or will my chest wither away? I've seen that some people like Sensei have been doing very abbreviated routines of squats, pull-ups and kettlebell stuff, but having no pressing at all scares me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    How about Smolov?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

well, how long until it heals (roughly)?

understand that athletes may go months at a time without benching or lifting at all in-season. I was one of them, and it never took me more than 4-6 weeks to get back to where i was before. I'm assuming your injury won't take an absurd amount of time to heal, so you probably won't lose much at all.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

You can easily gain back anything you lose. Plus, the extra focus on the "pulling" structure can pay off in a BIG way when you return to "pushing."
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Wrist injuries are apparently quite uncooperative, that's why I need to put as little stress on it as possible. Other body parts can withstand a bit more pressure and are usually easier to work around. I really don't know, but the deep massage on my arm does seem to be working so its just a case of getting my tendons to loosen up and letting the inflammation go down. I'm hoping I'll see a big improvement in 6-8 weeks. Which isn't that long I suppose.

Off Road, that's what I'm thinking. Yesterday still destroyed me. I've learned there's a big difference between 5-6x5 and 3x5. Maybe cutting out the pressing will allow my body to focus its recovery efforts on my squat/deadlift and chins/rows.