The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't like liquids first thing in the morning, I need solid food for the same reason, I feel a little odd. As long as I've done that I can do liquid meals all day, but I need to have eaten something substantial first.

Yesterday's food log:
    4,276 calories, 172g Fat, 484g Carbs, 212.8g Protein

TB

Quote Originally Posted by tomsids View Post
    When I say Iíve felt ďodd,Ē itís generally been in the mornings and after Iíve had a serving of Results. I feel slightly warm and a little woozy. My sleep patterns havenít been the greatest lately, which could be a contributing factor. Iím going to resolve to fix that and catch up on sleep this weekend.

TB
    Try going to bed an hour earlier than normal, stretch and meditate (or just try to relax your thoughts)

But what i originally wanted to talk about was, GOOD JOB! You've got great progress each week, thats great! Keep up the good work.

Thanks E. Another good workout tonight. Not as good as Wednesday's, but it'll do. I think I just enjoy working upper body more, and get more psyched up about it.

Angled leg press: 475 lbs - 25 lbs more than Monday

Romanian Deadlift: 170 lbs - 10 lbs more than Monday

Seated calf: 190 lbs

Barbell curl: 85 lbs - 5 lbs more than Monday

Weighted crunch - 195 lbs - 10 lbs more than Monday

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 4,490; Fat: 155.7; Carbs: 547.8; Protein: 245.7

TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-05-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Looks like another great session to me. You're making good progress (hell you know what it's like to make no progress) so give yourself a pat on the back. You'll grow to love legs. As a really tall person I'm guessing you currently find them your least capable bodyparts, that'll change as you start mastering the lifts, and start adding mass to them.
    Great job on the diet too Tom. Can you post or PM me your current weight please? This weekend we start preparing for the next 10 weeks, so just ensuring that any adjustments needed are made in a timely fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Looks like another great session to me. You're making good progress (hell you know what it's like to make no progress) so give yourself a pat on the back. You'll grow to love legs. As a really tall person I'm guessing you currently find them your least capable bodyparts, that'll change as you start mastering the lifts, and start adding mass to them.
    Great job on the diet too Tom. Can you post or PM me your current weight please? This weekend we start preparing for the next 10 weeks, so just ensuring that any adjustments needed are made in a timely fashion.
    Weighed myself this morning: 171.5 lbs

I'm planning on posting updated pictures soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsids View Post
    Weighed myself this morning: 171.5 lbs

I'm planning on posting updated pictures soon too.
    Pictures are from today (March 7)

Food log...
    Saturday:
    Calories: 4,102; Fat: 145.9; Carbs: 398.0; Protein: 292.0

Sunday:
    Calories: 3,953; Fat: 147.6; Carbs: 427.9; Protein: 228.2

TB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,

I just wanted to drop in and say FANTASTIC job with keeping this log updated and also your progress so far.

You're a few lbs heavier from when you started and you definately look fuller in your new pics. If you can keep that up for the entire 12 weeks I reckon you can end up a good 20lbs heavier than your starting weight which is going to look awesome.

Also huge respect for getting in those calories on a consistent basis. As Daniel has been pointing out, that is going to be the key to your transformation.

See if you can make your fitday log public and post some links to your days. We might be able to give you some tips on how to easily increase calories or make the job of eating 4K a day easier. And again, as Daniel said your body will adjust to the volume of food. When I first started cutting I was hungry all the time and now I can quite easily get by on 2,000 calories and feel full! In my experience it generally takes about 3-4 weeks for things to start adjusting, so hang in there and keep nailing those totals!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Tom,

I just wanted to drop in and say FANTASTIC job with keeping this log updated and also your progress so far.

You're a few lbs heavier from when you started and you definately look fuller in your new pics. If you can keep that up for the entire 12 weeks I reckon you can end up a good 20lbs heavier than your starting weight which is going to look awesome.

Also huge respect for getting in those calories on a consistent basis. As Daniel has been pointing out, that is going to be the key to your transformation.

See if you can make your fitday log public and post some links to your days. We might be able to give you some tips on how to easily increase calories or make the job of eating 4K a day easier. And again, as Daniel said your body will adjust to the volume of food. When I first started cutting I was hungry all the time and now I can quite easily get by on 2,000 calories and feel full! In my experience it generally takes about 3-4 weeks for things to start adjusting, so hang in there and keep nailing those totals!
    Thanks Daniel! I really appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this extraordinary training program. The support and progress Iíve made thus far has been really encouraging. Hereís a link to my fitday log, per your suggestion.

Thanks,
    TB

Damn, I would love to be you right now lol.. I am starving myself on 1800-2000 calories a day and seeing your Burritos makes me hungry!

Your food choices are spot on though, some good calorie dense foods there - good job with it!

You're probably already on this, but a few ideas for calorie dense food and getting in those calories.

- eat more read meat - pork, beef etc.. Full of protein and the fat will help bump calories up.
    - drink more whole milk. Try and nail a glass with most meals.
    - snack on nuts - great source of fat and protein. 50 grams (about a good handful) will give you 275 calories (22fat, 9 protein and 15 carbs)
    - full fat cheese is a great way to bump up calories - full of protein and fat

Keep it up, you're doing great!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Tonight's training went fine, though I was pretty tired by the end of it. I was a little bummed that I only increased weight on one exercise, but I suppose I'm bound to have good days and bad days.

Pull down 6RM: 200 lbs - Same as last training session.

Barbell row 6RM: 95 lbs - Same as last training session.

Flat bench 6RM: 165 lbs - +5 lbs

Standing dumbbell press 6RM: 40 lbs - Same as last training session.

Cable Triceps Extension 6RM: 150 lbs - Same as last training session.

TB

Yesterday's food log:
    Total Calories: 4,139; Fat: 124.9; Carbs: 499.9; Protein: 256.9

TB

I meant to post this Monday night but somehow forgot about the weekly recap. Iím feeling good about my progress and have gained about seven pounds according to my weigh in last weekend. Yesterday I felt sore and still feel it today. Iíve noticed my left shoulder is bothering me a little bit, so Iíll be paying attention to make sure it's not more than just muscle soreness.

My daily averages from last week:
    Calories: 4,141
    Fat: 156g
    Carbs: 447g
    Protein: 250g

Weightlifting Status
    Iíve managed in increase my max weight on each exercise by fairly significant marginsósome more than others:
    Pull down 6RM: 200 lbs Ė An increase of 20 pounds from day 1
    Barbell row 6RM: 95 lbs Ė An increase of 15 pounds from day 1
    Flat bench 6RM: 165 lbs Ė An increase of 10 pounds from day 1
    Standing dumbbell press 6RM: 40 lbs Ė An increase of 10 pounds from day 1
    Cable Triceps Extension 6RM: 150 lbs Ė An increase of 20 pounds from day 1

Angled leg press: 475 lbs Ė An increase of 115 pounds from day 1
    Romanian Deadlift: 170 lbs Ė An increase of 25 pounds from day 1
    Seated calf: 190 lbs ĖAn increase of 70 pounds from day 1
    Barbell curl: 85 lbs Ė An increase of 15 pounds from day 1
    Weighted crunch - 195 lbs Ė An increase of 95 pounds from day 1

Right now Iím depending a lot on meal replacement/ weight gainer shakes to reach my calorie and protein targets. Hopefully as my body adapts and my stomach expands, Iíll be able to rely a little less on supplements, as I can foresee their continual use being pretty expensive.

Yesterdayís food log:
    Total Calories: 4,022; Fat: 96.0; Carbs: 515.6; Protein: 253.9
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-10-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Unfortunately tonight was a step in the wrong direction. I was overzealous in my training and strained my back when doing the the Romanian deadlift, which made it difficult to do anything after that...I was able to do complete sets of all the exercises except the weighted crunches and the deadlift.

Today's workout:
    Angled leg press: 475 lbs - no increase
    Romanian Deadlift: 170 lbs - Did a few warm-up sets, then a 6RM and couldn't go on.
    Seated calf: 190 lbs - no increase
    Barbell curl: 85 lbs - no increase
    Weighted crunch - used significantly less weight and did more reps instead

My shoulder was still bothering me today, but then my wife massaged it a bit and now it seems fine. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I'll update my status the next couple days to let you know how both my back and shoulder are doing.

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 4,296; Fat: 152.9; Carbs: 443.4; Protein: 270.0

TB

I need to say this again - BRILLIANT job on keeping those macro/calorie numbers high!!

If you can push them even higher, I am sure Daniel won't mind

Ok, the bad stuff first, I can't nor can anyone really (unless you post vids of your form) determine the cause of your back strain or shoulder issue. Truth is, you're a novice lifter, doing a fairly advanced/demanding program and you're starting at a disadvantage of very light bodyweight (it is an advantage in many respects but not this) which means you're going to feel a little beat-up simply from performing any exercise, let alone this program.

Your romanian deadlift weight hints at a form issue, but then again it's bodyweight for you so combine that with poor form and you're in trouble. Just get your kind wife to massage the affected areas and see how you go. If you want to PM me a vid of your performance it'd help iron out any major issues if there are any.

You're up 7lbs or so and you look a lot happier in your pics! I didn't want to push you too soon into upping your calories, knowing you find it a struggle, but your aim now should be to average 4300kcal, just like today's food log. You're not gaining at an extraordinarily fast rate and given you're starting point you need not worry about fat, you're simply feeding muscular growth right now, so let's step it up. Do you think you're ok with that? I want you to be, because I've got high hopes you'll top the chart when it comes to most muscle gained.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 03-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.

You guys sure know how to keep a guy motivated! It really means a lot to me, receiving such positive feedback from such experienced lifters. I might be the skinny guy at the gym now, but each day I take a step closer to my goal and feeling less self conscious about my body. Earlier this week I checked out the photos I submitted with my entry for the program, and man I looked terrible. At the time I didnít realize how badly I had let myself go; no wonder you think I look happier now!

As for the deadlift, I've been doing it on a t-bar platform, which may be a bad idea. This lift is a bit challenging because of my long arms/legs, and I think I'm having to bend too far down to reach the bar. In my previous sessions I focused on using my legs to lift, and this last time I obviously used my back too much. Maybe I should switch to doing deadlifts off the floor?

I am definitely game for upping my calorie intake and will get on that stat. There are still times Iím forcing myself to eat even though Iím full, but Iíll press through. I've got my eyes on the prize and want to make you guys proud!

TB

So you're on the platform and the bar is on the floor? If this is the case, swap to both of you on the floor.

Not exactly. There's a platform for me to put my feet on, and then a t-bar. You load weights on the end and pull upward. It looks similar to this.
    TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-11-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Ah okay, well either way, avoid that. In that example the line of pull is well away from your legs - any dlift variation follows closely to your legs, grazing the shins and thighs. The spine's actually suited ot this, move the weight away as in your example and you introduce shearing forces in conjunction to compression and flexion - a bad combination.
    Do a conventional deadlift or rack pull from below the knees,

Upped my calorie intake yesterday. Eating 8 tablespoons of peanut butter is not easy, but on the seventh tablespoon I learned that putting it in your mouth and swishing it around with milk makes it a lot easier to swallow.

Yesterdaysí food log:
    Calories: 4,491
    Fat: 191.6
    Carbs: 488.6
    Protein: 200.2

TB

lol good job - you don't make it easy on yourself do you?! Whole milk and peanut butter, you're getting the right idea!

Today's weight: 176.5 - gained 5 pounds!

Yesterday's food log:
    Total calories: 5,110; Fat: 176.8; Carbs: 543.1; Protein: 297.7

Excellent, excellent stuff! Your breakdown looks awesome, your protein intake is brilliant, you're on track my man!

You really are doing AWESOME and deserve a lot of credit for changing your eating habits.

Your consistently eating many more calories than you used to and you've really got the hang of using calorie dense foods to get the calories up.

Oh and nothing wrong with some beer to get those calories up