Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TB's Training Journal

Thanks guys! Now I just need to make sure I continue to be consistent with this. I am really excited about what I feel is a lot of progress in such a short amount of time. For the first time I can actually tell I have traps!

Although I didn't increase weight on any of the exercises, today's workout was good...my muscles felt like they were going to burst out of my skin by the end of it:

Pull down 6RM: 200 lbs - Same as last training session.

Barbell row 6RM: 95 lbs - Same as last training session.

Flat bench 6RM: 165 lbs - I need to learn how to add...for my second ramping set, I thought it seemed heavy and wondered why I was only able to do 5 reps. Come to find out I accidentally did 175 lbs instead of 165. I lowered the weight to 165 for the third set of 6, but then could only do +1 instead of the normal +2+2+2. Unfortunately this tired me out quite a bit and probably prevented me from increasing weight on this or any subsequent exercise.

Standing dumbbell press 6RM: 40 lbs - Same as last training session.

Cable Triceps Extension 6RM: 150 lbs - Same as last training session.

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 4,471; Fat: 189.6; Carbs: 447.5; Protein: 234.7

TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-13-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Yesterday's food log:
    Total Calories: 4,301, Fat: 184.4, Carbs: 381.0, Protein: 232.3

Weekly summary:
    I think eating more is starting to become more natural for me. Iíve been fortunate the last couple weeks, as my wife and I made huge batches of burritos and chili, which provided a bunch of calories and protein for my lunches. This week Iím going to cook a bag of frozen chicken breasts, so I might make use of Danielís ďquick recipeĒ or find another I can use to make a large quantity.

Last weekís daily macros:
    Calories: 4,404, Fat: 159g, Carbs: 474g, Protein: 249g

I mentioned in my post on Saturday that I gained five pounds last week. My wife told me she can tell Iím more confident, and Iíd definitely say thatís the case. Although my gains appear to be slowing down, (since I was setting new PRís almost every workout), Iím hopeful they will continue.

TB

PS - Is the deload week next week for program 1?
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-15-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Today's workout:
    Leg press: 475 lbs (same)
    Deadlift: 185 lbs - I switched to doing it from the floor. I know I can do more weight than this, but I'm trying to get the form down. I've watched several "how to" videos and read about proper form; it just feels really awkward for me with my extra long arms and long legs, and the bar scrapes up my shins.
    Seated calf raise - 190 lbs (same)
    Barbell bicep curl - 90 lbs - increase of 5 lbs
    Weighted crunch - 215 lbs - increase of 20 lbs...I've maxed out the machine; what do I do now?

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 4,452, Fat: 153.2, Carbs: 511.6, Protein: 265.2

TB

Quote Originally Posted by tomsids View Post
    Yesterday's food log:
    Total Calories: 4,301, Fat: 184.4, Carbs: 381.0, Protein: 232.3

Weekly summary:
    I think eating more is starting to become more natural for me. Iíve been fortunate the last couple weeks, as my wife and I made huge batches of burritos and chili, which provided a bunch of calories and protein for my lunches. This week Iím going to cook a bag of frozen chicken breasts, so I might make use of Danielís ďquick recipeĒ or find another I can use to make a large quantity.

Last weekís daily macros:
    Calories: 4,404, Fat: 159g, Carbs: 474g, Protein: 249g

I mentioned in my post on Saturday that I gained five pounds last week. My wife told me she can tell Iím more confident, and Iíd definitely say thatís the case. Although my gains appear to be slowing down, (since I was setting new PRís almost every workout), Iím hopeful they will continue.

TB

PS - Is the deload week next week for program 1?
    Dan will give you some advice about progression and such, but I just wanted to chime in and say your progress is AMAZING. It is TOUGH to start eating more when you first srart, but you are consistently eating much more and are starting to normalize to it which is superb. You should be proud to look back at how much you are now eating and the fact that this is coming through in your confidence and happiness is really cool too.

The one thing I would say is that don't worry about the gains slowing a bit, they are bound too and keep in mind the big picture. The only thing I would say is getting your calories closer to 5,000 each day would definately help you along a little faster.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomsids View Post
    Weighted crunch - 215 lbs - increase of 20 lbs...I've maxed out the machine; what do I do now?
    One trick from back in the day was to place a plate against the stack and put the selector pin through the center of the plate. Might work okay until about 25 lbs, but will buy you a couple of weeks until you can find an alternate exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by levensok View Post
    One trick from back in the day was to place a plate against the stack and put the selector pin through the center of the plate. Might work okay until about 25 lbs, but will buy you a couple of weeks until you can find an alternate exercise.
    Thanks for the tip - I'll have to try it out on my next "B" day.

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 4,311 , Fat: 176.7, Carbs: 445.0, Protein: 240.9

TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-17-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Tonight's workout was okay, but both my shoulders were really aching by the end of it. I'm looking forward to the deload week next week, in hopes that the higher reps will do my body good.

Pull down 6RM: 200 lbs - Same as last training session.

Barbell row 6RM: 95 lbs - Same as last training session.

Flat bench 6RM: 165 lbs - Same as last training session.

Standing dumbbell press 6RM: 40 lbs - Same as last training session.

Cable Triceps Extension 6RM: 160 lbs - Increase of 10 pounds.

I'm definitely not feeling as full as I was previously after eating. Normally after I down a maximus shake post-workout, I'm completely full, but 30 minutes later I'm actually hungry tonight. Per Daniel's suggestion, I broke the 5,000 calorie mark yesterday...

Total calories: 5,149, Fat: 202.3, Carbs: 557.6, Protein: 285.0

TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-18-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Today's food log:
    Total calories: 5,074, Fat: 233.6, Carbs: 484.1, Protein: 267.7

TB

Well today's workout was a little disappointing. I increased my max on two exercises, but I had to quit midway through my deadlifts, because the barbell's rubbing against my shin cut open a couple scabs from the last session. I felt like my form had improved, and I even tried wearing pants thinking that might help protect my legs...guess not.

Leg press: 480 lbs - Increase of 5 lbs
    Deadlift: 185 lbs - Had to stop on the first 6RM due to a bloody shin...
    Seated calf raise - 195 lbs - Increase of 5 lbs
    Barbell bicep curl - 90 lbs (same)
    Weighted crunch - 215 lbs (same...machine is maxed out)

Today's food log:
    Calories: 4,974, Fat: 195.4, Carbs: 534.1, Protein: 276.2

TB
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Superb job on the eating!

And don't sweat the deadlift stuff - its common for the bar to rub against shins and being a tall fella, it'll be worse for you! Sure Dan will have a few tips for you being a tall guy himself.!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Ok, deload week for you is the 5th week, so yes, next week. Keep your calories as high during this period. Your progress isn't slowing, last session you hit 2 PB's. After the deload week we might look to increase calories again, but you should by then find it easier (it's getting easier now from what you say).
    Enjoy the deload week, don't go chasing any PR's just practice the exercises, stop short of failure, get a 'pump'. The idea is different stimulus, less stress overall, bit more fatigue, but easier on the joints and connective tissue. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how full your muscles will feel, with higher reps and increased food intake - and your joints will thank you.

Deadlift hurts the shins - some wear the scars as a badge of honour - I've seen some with what looks like the scars of surgery all the way from the bottom of the shin to the top, but it's not something you have to suffer. Shin pads, cardboard, split protein tubs etc under thick long socks can all help, just don't go for any spngey material - it'll catch the bar.

Deadlift isn't easy, but it is effective and you will progress fast, it needn't be bloody, find the best way for you to protect your shins. And good job on the PR's and on breaking the 5k kcal. You should be proud. I am.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's banged up his shins doing the deadlift. Like you said, I'll have to figure out a way to protect them, because I know it's such an important exercise.

Yesterday's food log:
    Calories: 4,931, Fat: 240.5, Carbs: 474.2, Protein: 225.2

Yesterday's weight: 180.5 lbs - Increase of 4 lbs over previous week

Today's macros:
    Calories: 4,996, Fat: 271.4, Carbs: 391.2, Protein: 261.5

Pictures from today.

TB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tomsids; 03-21-2010 at 09:14 PM.

And the smiles get bigger as you do! Nice work on the calorie intake, seriously.

Weekly summary:
    The comments and suggestions Iím receiving in response to my journal posts are keeping my motivation high. Even better, someone who saw me on Saturday--without my shirt off and not knowing Iím in the WBB pilot program--actually asked me if I had gained weight, which was encouraging. Whenever the thought of slacking enters my mind, I just look at my entry pictures and remember that I never want to look that way again.

Iím looking forward to this weekís deload routine, because itíll be nice to change things up and give my body a break from the heavy weights. So far I like the combination of lifts Iím executing and feel Iím building better symmetry among body parts over my previous training experience. At the same time, I do like variety to prevent my routines from becoming stale, so Iíll look to your recommendation as to whether I should change it up next week.

Daily macros:
    Iíve been adding a couple ounces of oil to my morning shakes in order to bump up my caloric intake. Eating more is coming more naturally, though interestingly Iím starting to find really greasy and sweet foods unappetizing. In just 2.5 days I went through a gallon of whole milk, so if I continue to increase my calories, Iíll be looking for ways to do that while making it simple and cost effective.
    Calories: 4,841
    Fat: 210
    Carbs: 485
    Protein: 260

Including the few pounds gained in the weeks leading up to the official start of the program, I think Iíve gained about 20 pounds so far (Iím at 180.5 as of Saturday). Iím confident Iíll reach my 200 lb goal Ė something I never thought I could achieve in just a few months.

TB

Completed the first day of deload training yesterday, which was a nice change of pace. Although it was a quick workout, I got a good pump out of it.

Do I need to be keeping track of the weight Iím doing for each exercise? I didnít bring my workout log with me to the gym yesterday, though I could probably guess if itís important for you to know.

Yesterdayís food log:
    Total Calories: 5,015, Fat: 244.6, Carbs: 436.3, Protein: 279.0

TB

>5000 calories = excellent.

I never bother counting on a deload. Just go through the motions and really focus on form.

Too...much...almond...butter...

Todays' food log:
    Total calories: 5,025, Fat: 274.4, Carbs: 426.4, Protein: 236.8

*burp*

TB

You're smashing it!

Really work hard on keeping your calories at 5K+ now. You need to really give yourself some serious credit for doing that, it's just as hard to eat 5,000 day in, day out than it is to diet on a calorie restricted diet..

Keep that in goal in sight, you're GOING to be 200lbs+ by the end of the 12 weeks if you keep up this type of work.

I know it's a bit of a pain in the ass, but can you post your typical food for the day in meal format? I'm interested to know what your actual eating habits are as we may be able to provide some easy tips for keeping things high.

Here you goÖThis is what I can remember of the timing of my meals/snacks for the past three days. Typically my meals/snacks fall around these times:

Breakfast Ė 8am
    Morning snack Ė 10am
    Lunch Ė 12pm
    Afternoon snacks Ė 2pm, 3pm

Workout days:
    Pre-workout drink Ė 5pm
    Post-workout drink Ė 6:30pm
    Dinner Ė 7:30pm
    Evening snack Ė 8:30pm
    Late night snack Ė 10pm

Non-workout days:
    Dinner Ė 6:15pm
    Evening snack Ė 8:00pm
    Late night snack Ė 9:30pm

If you see anything ďfat free,Ē itís because thatís what we had in the house (my wifeís watching her caloriesótalk about a hard thing to do when your husband is trying to eat every fattening thing in sight .

Tuesdayís log
    Meal 1:
    Maximus 3 scoops
    Milk, whole 2 cups
    Canola oil 1 oz

Morning snack:
    Muffin, wheat bran 2 muffins

Lunch:
    Hot dish 1.8 servings

Afternoon snack:
    Yogurt, fruit variety 1 serving

Afternoon snack:
    Trek Mix 1/2 cup

Dinner:
    Wheat bread 2 slices
    Eggs 4 eggs
    Nonfat American cheese 2 slices
    Butter 0.8 tbsp
    Orange juice 1 cup

Evening snack:
    Results 1 serving (forgot to take it in the morning)
    Olive oil 1 oz
    Opticen 3 scoops
    Milk, whole 2 cups

Late night snack:
    Almond butter 8 tbsp
    Apple

Mondayís log
    Breakfast:
    Opticen 2 scoops
    Milk, whole 2 cups
    Canola oil 1 oz

Morning snack:
    Instant oatmeal 2 servings

Lunch:
    Chicken stroganoff 1.8 servings

Afternoon snack:
    Banana, raw 1 banana
    Yogurt, fruit variety 1 serving

Afternoon snack:
    1/4 c mixed nuts 1 serving

Pre-workout drink
    Opticen 2 scoops
    Milk, whole 1 cup
    Results 1 serving

Post-workout drink
    Maximus 5 scoops
    Olive oil 1 oz
    Milk, whole 1 cup

Dinner
    Hot dish 1.25 serving
    Milk, whole 1 cup

Evening snack
    Peanut butter 2.5 tbsp

Sunday's log
    Breakfast
    Maximus 3 scoops
    Whole milk 2 cups
    Olive oil 2 oz
    Results 1 serving

Morning Snack
    Nonfat yogurt 1.25 servings
    Quick oats 1/2 cup
    Banana, raw 1/2 banana
    Almond butter 1 tbsp

Lunch
    Sausage links 4 links
    Bacon, cooked 3 slices
    Egg bake 3 servings
    Orange juice 1.5 cups

Dinner
    Cheese quesadilla 1/2 serving
    Opticen 2 scoops
    Whole milk 2 cups

Evening snack
    Cottage cheese 1 1/2 cups
    Peanut butter 4 tbsp
    Apple, raw 1 small apple
    Milk, whole 2.5 cups

Iím definitely open to suggestions. I donít have a refrigerator at work and am sometimes in meetings throughout the day, which sometimes results in my having to consume most of my calories after 5pm. Additionally, because Iím drinking more liquidsóespecially in the eveningóIím waking up in the middle of the night to pee. Obviously Iíd like to avoid that, but milk is an easy way to reach my macros if Iím short by the end of the day.

Thanks,
    TB

It all looks great mate, really good..

I guess the only thing I would say is if you can increase the calories in breakfast it would give you less of a situation where you are struggling to find calories late in on the day because you'll be getting a headstart on yourself.

It might also be worth grabbing some high calorie bars which you can eat easily on the go at work. You don't need to be fussy, some Oatbars or just anything calorie dense.

Good job!

Just dropping in to say "GOOD JOB!!!" sticking to it. Sounds like your on a good track, keep it up.
    Last edited by EternalSearcher; 03-24-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSearcher View Post
    Just dropping in to say "GOOD JOB!!!" sticking to it. Sounds like your on a good track, keep it up.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Tonight's workout was mediocre. I was tired going into it and felt lethargic coming out of it, though I still got a decent pump. I'm not sure if it's because I had eaten too much beforehand, in combination with a serving of Results and pre-workout shake, or if my body just wasn't in the right state of mind. Afterwards I found it a challenge to down my post workout serving of Maximus and even harder to eat dinner an hour and a half later.

Fortunately, I still met my macros for the day...
    Calories: 5,019, Fat: 243.3, Carbs: 434.8, Protein: 280.9

TB

Good, bad, mediocre, you'll experience them all! I'm still impressed by how brilliantly you're doing keeping your intake where it needs to be - especially considering your starting point. Amazing!
    I would definitely try and consume more of your calories earlier in the day or at least your liquid ones, not for some fancy metabolic trickery, just to keep your fluids down to a minimum at night. Toilet breaks in the middle of the night interrupt my sleep sufficiently that they spoil my day. I've since limited my intake after 6/7pm, taking in only enough fluid to eat comfortably.
    I would doubt that it is the shakes actually that bring in too much liquid, I would guess it's glasses of water etc with your final meal.

Or disregard my advice if the sleep issue isn't bothering you or is the lesser of two evils. Either way, still doing a great job.

I guess itís to be expected that Iíll have good days and bad days. Fortunately Iíve had more good than bad.

Thanks for the tip about not drinking much after 6/7pm. Iíll try to adhere to that. I canít get over how thick my midsection is starting lookóespecially after Iíve eaten.

There are a couple lingering questions from my previous posts:
    1. Iíve maxed out the weighted ab machine. Should I do more reps at the max weight or do something else?

2. What are your thoughts on the next four weeks? Should I stick with the same exercises or change it up?

TB

Fortunately Iíve had more good than bad.
    Well that's the secret! If your diet is in order and your training program good, this is how it goes.

I'm not so concerned with ab work that you need worry about it, so if you like the ab machine then carry on and increase the reps. However for someone long like yourself, reverse crunches on a decline are hellish, done properly your reps will be low single figures initially - give them a go. Or standing or kneeling cable crunches.

Your exercise selection is pretty sound. You've only just started deadlifting and in all sincerity you've only just started lifting properly - in truth all these exercises are failry new to you and you have a lot of mileage left in them yet. Besides you've chosen some of the best, established lifts for getting bigger and stronger - you're not currently missing out on anything.

There's a lot to be said for 'keeping things interesting', 'changing things up' etc but ultimately progress is the greatest motivator. The deadlift etc may be boring but I've yet to find someone who's bored of a lift that they keep improving, and ultimately as I said above somewhere, you'll grow to love these lifts because of the progress you make and the difference they make to your physique.