The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Still putting on weight nicely and when you get back from vacation, get real focused on that diet again.

Good work on everything though!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSearcher View Post
    All that weight gain and you still lean!!! Great work!
    Thanks! I guess I'm fortunate in that my body does a pretty good job of burning calories. My wife and I are now trying to remove all enriched white flour from our diets, which should also help minimize fat gain.

I was on vacation last weekend. Still trained on Friday, but it was difficult to regulate my diet.*I'm planning to keep my calorie intake high, though I think I may take a break from using fitday.com. I'll be vacationing in Scotland and Ireland for two weeks starting June 18th, and right now I'm not planning to pack any supplements except vitamins and fish oil. Seems like it'd be too much of a hassle.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on what I need to eat to hit my numbers, so I'll be monitoring my weight and physique, and will start tracking again if need be.

Yesterday's workout:
    Angled leg press: 565 lbs - 20 lb increase
    *NEW - Rack pull: 275 lbs - I strained my back a bit last weekend and can still feel a little pain lingering. Decided to switch from the deadlift to try to get the form down.
    Seated calf raise: 200 lbs (no increase)
    Hammer curl:*40 lbs (no increase)
    Decline weighted ab crunch: 50 lbs (no increase)

TB

Worked out yesterday. It had been a little over a week since my last upper body workout, and I wasn't quite feeling it.

Pull down: 220 lbs (no increase)
    Incline bench: 175 lbs (no increase) - could only manage one set of +2
    Barbell row: 110 lbs (5 lb decrease)
    Military press: 115 lbs (10 lb decrease)
    *NEW Closed grip bench: 155 lbs

TB

I was pretty beat after tonights workout:

Leg press was busy, so I opted for the Hack Sled: 280 lbs
    Seated calf press: 205 lbs - 5 lb increase
    Power cage was busy for rack pull, so I opted for the Deadlift: 225 lbs - 10 lb decrease - I definitely need to work on my form. It's back to the rack pull next workout.
    Hammer curl: 40 lbs (no increase)
    Weighted decline ab crunch: BW + 50 lbs (5 lb decrease)

TB

Tonight's workout:

Pull down - 220 lbs (no increase) I'm beginning to wonder if I"ll ever add weight to this lift. Been stuck for awhile, so I may change it out and try something different.
    Incline bench press - 170 lbs (5 lb decrease) I don't know what it is about this exercise, but I really struggle with it.
    Barbell row - 115 lbs (no increase)
    Military press - 125 lbs (no increase)
    Closed grip bench - 155 lbs (no increase)

I realized today that I'm doing two press lifts in a row, so I'll change my routine around a bit to make sure I'm alternating push-pull next time.
    TB

Last night's workout:

Leg press: 540 lbs (- 5 lbs)
    Rack pull: 265 lbs (- 10 lbs) - I'm having trouble holding onto this weight. Is it time I buy wrist straps?
    Seated calf raise: 205 lbs (+ 5 lbs)
    Hammer curl: 45 lbs (+ 5 lbs)

The gym closed before I could complete the weighted ab crunches, so I did a bunch of crunches + bridges once I was home.
    TB

Inspirational progress. I'm glad we finally got a chance to see your journal. Also, many thanks for helping us "new-comers" out with getting our own HCT-12's started.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Inspirational progress. I'm glad we finally got a chance to see your journal. Also, many thanks for helping us "new-comers" out with getting our own HCT-12's started.
    Thanks OR. I'm glad to see people enjoying the program as much as I have.

Tuesday's workout:

Incline bench press: 160 lbs –Weight has decreased on this lift for the past few sessions. Not sure if my chest is getting weaker, if I’m having difficulty adapting to the new lift, or if my diet is affecting my performance.
    Pull down: 240 lbs – This weight is getting easier. 220 lbs is too light, but 240 is too heavy for me to complete 6 reps with good form. Maybe I’ll see there’s a belt at gym so I can try weighted pull ups or something.
    Military press: 135 lbs – 10 lb increase
    Upright barbell row: 115 lbs (no increase) – I’ve maxed out the set-weight barbells, so I’ll be attempting to use a barbell and add weight to it next time.
    Closed grip bench: 155 lbs (no increase)

I feel like one of the contestants on “The Biggest Loser,” except instead of being stressed that I’ll gain weight, I worry about losing the progress I’ve made. It’s been a struggle to force myself to maintain my high calorie eating habits, and now I’m going on a two week vacation out of the country, which could further impede my progress. Hopefully I'll come back refreshed and ready it hit it hard again.

Pic from a couple weeks ago.

TB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tomsids; 06-18-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Congratulations

I have been offline recently and work has been really busy so i have set myself a target to read one of the test journals a day. Yours was not the first but i can say this is truely awesome mate, you must be over the moon at the moment mate, your looking like a big bloke now rather than your previous build.

I can personally relate to your previous self mate, i have recently slacked on my eating and have dropped a few very hard earned pounds. Your journal is two things mate, insperational to anyone thinking they are too skinny to ever get big AND a great show of character on your part.

Congratulations once more mate and thanks for your time helping put together a great workout!

Keep it up mate, best regards,

Keiran
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Your results are insane. Good job!

Banned
    Awesome. Finally got around to skimming through your journal. You seem to have pretty big arms for a tall guy in that last pic. Also, this may sound weird, but I think your face actually looks better in the most recent pictures, either you just look more confident and satisfied or you look slightly less bony; either way there is a world of difference in your appearance and how you present yourself now.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Also, this may sound weird, but I think your face actually looks better in the most recent pictures, either you just look more confident and satisfied or you look slightly less bony; either way there is a world of difference in your appearance and how you present yourself now.
    LOL I was gonna say it but felt weird.

What happened to you Tom?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

He went on vacation - he'll be back!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    He went on vacation - he'll be back!
    Good to hear. Hope he's enjoying himself.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'm back after a 2.5 week hiatus. Went to Scotland and Ireland with my wife, which was absolutely amazing. Definitely the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for the compliments all. I'm getting back into the swing of things, though my time off didn't do me any favors. I've lost some weight, since I didn't have access to my normal foods. Mostly fat, but probably some muscle too.

Did the upper body split on Tuesday but didn't keep track of my weights. Today I did the lower body split:
    Angled leg press: 515 lbs
    Rack pull: 245 lbs - Did too many warm up sets, but it felt good. My grip isn't strong enough to hold this weight very well, but my wife bought me some lifting straps for my bday, so I may try them out next time.
    Seated calf raise: 205 lbs
    Hammer curl: 45 lbs
    Weighted ab crunch: BW + 25 lbs

TB

House Lannister
    Some astounding progress going on in here. Recent pic looks good too. Keep it up Tom.

The vacation sounds amazing. Glad you had fun.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Seem to have lost some strength. Upper body split today, with no spotter, hence the difference in exercises:
    Incline db bench: 65 lbs
    Pull down: 220 lbs
    Military press: 115 lbs
    Upright barbell row: 115 lbs
    Tricep extension: 190 lbs

TB

Over the past several months, I've come to realize how much diet affects training. Admittedly I've been slacking in that department for the past several weeks, and I can tell it's impacting my performance in the gym, as well as my physical appearance. Not that I've been eating poorly; I just haven't been eating enough for my new weight. That's probably why I've felt weak on some of my lifts, and my 6RM has decreased for many of them.

Today's workout:
    Angled leg press: 515 lbs
    Rack pull: 255 lbs
    Seated calf raise: 200 lbs
    Weighted ab crunch: 200 lbs (decline bench was in use)

I plan to add more olive oil to my shakes and eat more like I was previously. If things don't improve, I may start tracking food intake again.

TB

Diet is critical, but for some of us (me included) we're super sensitive to any shortfall and it hits our performance and physique very quickly. Fact of life I'm afraid. The up-side is that the benefits of a consistent diet and training appear quickly also.

You know well enough what it took to get you where you are, it'll take no less to keep you there and keep improving. If you keep at it and hold on to that weight and keep gaining it will get easier to hold on to as your body accepts that new weight as normal.

Summer has been pretty busy, but I’ve been maintaining a weight of 220 lbs for a couple months now. Very happy about that. Workouts have been less frequent, but I have been hitting the gym at least 2x/ week.

Wednesday’s workout:
    Cable flys: 110 lbs
    Military press: 125 lbs
    Tricep extension: 200 lbs

TB

Wow I'm sore from those chest flys. Must've worked some muscles that haven't been worked in awhile.

Yesterday's workout:
    Angled leg press: 525 lbs
    Rack pull: 255 lbs
    Seated calf raise: 200 lbs
    Decline ab crunch: 50 lbs

TB

Good workout tonight. I've started adding a mile run after my lifting sessions to get my cardiovascular system in shape.

Cable flys: 110 lbs
    Military press: 125 lbs
    Tricep extension: 200 lbs

TB

How ya doing buddy?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I just saw your before/after pics in my email. Congrats on the great progress man.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell